Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Controller chip manufacturer and model on P8Z77-V Delux

alternety is offline Member

Default Controller chip manufacturer and model on P8Z77-V Delux

Still trying to recover from using the Asus Smart Suite.

Uninstall failed. Clean-up failed. I still have all sorts of Asus crap still running. I am trying to update all my drivers. Asus web site does not appear to have the most current drivers for some chips. I am trying to create a recovery disk. It believe it needs to have actual drivers provided; not Asus installers.

The only chip IDs I have not found in the documentation are the ASM units. There are both driver and firmware updates for these. But they seem to be a real problem in functioning properly from the Asus releases.

Here is what I think I have, but I am not positive. Can anyone confirm I have it right or correct me?

USB - ASM 104x chip, Intel
    SATA - ASM 106x (or maybe 105 for SATA and USB) chip, Intel Smart Connect, Marvell 9128
    Sound - Realtek ALC898
    LAN - Intel 82579V, Realtek 8111F
    Last edited by alternety; 02-10-2014 at 12:28 PM.
    Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe
    i7 3770
    2 X 8GB F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL DDR3 1600 1.5V GSkill Ripjaws
    Integrated graphics
    Seasonic Platinum 760W
    be quite! Dark Rock Pro 2
    Fractal Define XL R2 case
    Win 8.1 64 Pro

Default Re: Controller chip manufacturer and model on P8Z77-V Delux

Quote Originally Posted by alternety View Post

Uninstall failed. Clean-up failed. I still have all sorts of Asus crap still running. I am trying to update all my drivers. Asus web site does not appear to have the most current drivers for some chips. I am trying to create a recovery disk. It believe it needs to have actual drivers provided; not Asus installers.

The only chip IDs I have not found in the documentation are the ASM units. There are both driver and firmware updates for these. But they seem to be a real problem in functioning properly from the Asus releases.

Here is what I think I have, but I am not positive. Can anyone confirm I have it right or correct me?

USB - ASM 104x chip, Intel
    SATA - ASM 106x (or maybe 105 for SATA and USB) chip, Intel Smart Connect, Marvell 9128
    Sound - Realtek ALC898
    LAN - Intel 82579V, Realtek 8111F
    Remove all old drivers except LAN drivers, i would only use asus drivers except the realtek ones. Not sure what els you are asking?
    Asus RIVE
    Intel 3930K WATER
    RIPJAWX2133 16GB
    SLI-Asus GTX780 TI DCII OC
    CorsairAX1200

http://www.3dmark.com/3dmv/5003339

What I am asking, first of all, is what chips are on the board. What ASM chip is used for SATA and USB? The others are identified in the MB documentation.

I also can not find a driver for the Realtek ALC898. A whole list of others, but not that one. It is a real part number, but is that the one actually used? Does it use the drivers the rest use and is just not on Realtek's list.

And why Asus drivers only. They do not seem to track current releases for the chips. What does Asus do to drivers before publishing them? Do they actually alter them? The Gigabyte support section on this board had a really nice list someone maintained on chip vendors driver updates. That was what I used on my Gigabyte MBs. Really a nice thing to have.

I am looking at the ASM drivers and I am not understanding which files are for what. They have the same release number but a different serialized number internally. And there is simply a list with no indication of what each one is actually for.
    Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe
    i7 3770
    Integrated graphics
    Seasonic Platinum 760W
    Win 8.1 64 Pro

What I am asking, first of all, is what chips are on the board. What ASM chip is used for SATA and USB? The others are identified in the MB documentation.

I also can not find a driver for the Realtek ALC898. A whole list of others, but not that one. It is a real part number, but is that the one actually used? Does it use the drivers the rest use and is just not on Realtek's list.

And why Asus drivers only. They do not seem to track current releases for the chips. What does Asus do to drivers before publishing them? Do they actually alter them? The Gigabyte support section on this board had a really nice list someone maintained on chip vendors driver updates. That was what I used on my Gigabyte MBs. Really a nice thing to have.

I am looking at the ASM drivers and I am not understanding which files are for what. They have the same release number but a different serialized number internally. And there is simply a list with no indication of what each one is actually for.

Realtek ALC898
    Realtek

ASM chip
    ASMedia Technology Inc. ????

Not a lot of info on the Assmedia, honestly I don't use it as it seems to cause fits for my RIVE board. I would have linked you to the ROG forums but it seems google is saying they are under attack? The Asus site does regularly up date there drivers links. The Asmedia controller are the red ports, seeing as they are Tywoneese you may try there tech support off the site. Are you connected on the AsMedia ports?
    I have a AsRock Z77 board and its as flaky as maa's pie crusts, I have heard just to dis able the AsMedia so far.
    Asus RIVE
    Intel 3930K WATER
    RIPJAWX2133 16GB
    CorsairAX1200

parsec is offline Senior Member

The main chipset on your board is the Intel Z77 of course.

For that you need the INF file (chipset) installation progam (not a driver, download and run the .exe file), the Intel IME software (way to complex to break down into parts, again run the installation program), and the Intel IRST driver (better for AHCI mode even if you don't use RAID. The six main SATA ports on your board are provided by the Z77 chip.) Also the Intel USB 3.0 driver installer.

The Marvell 9128 add on SATA controller does not perform as well as the Intel SATA interface.

The ASMedia 1061 SATA controller is used only for the eSATA ports.

Stand alone drivers are rare now, driver installers are the norm. All the files and drivers I listed for the Intel chipset that you can get directly from Intel are only provided with installation programs. The only simple driver files Intel provides are for their RAID driver, the "F6 Floppy" drivers used during an OS installation. The F6 driver can also be manually installed via Device Manager. The Intel NIC drivers have a version where it is possible to extract the individual drivers via certain options, but that takes some effort to figure out.

ASUS and other mobo manufactures do very little if anything to the installation programs they get directly from Intel, ASMedia, Realtek, etc. The drivers themselves are untouched, but the installation program parameters in a file or two may be tweaked, mostly for cosmetic purposes.

I download all the Intel driver installers directly from Intel all the time, you just need to know how to use their Download Center, here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx

Choosing "Software Products" and then "Chipset software" in the Product Family and Line drop down list, will then list the particular driver type in the Product Name list. The other categories in the Products list should be self explanatory. From their you pick your OS for the correct version, although some drivers no longer support older chipsets, your Z77 board is not affected by that. Still, it is always good to at least scan the Readme file for each driver.

I don't know what you mean by a "recovery disk", that could be several different things.

What I am asking, first of all, is what chips are on the board. What ASM chip is used for SATA and USB? The others are identified in the MB documentation. Controller chip manufacturer and model on P8Z77-V Delux-assmedia-png
    Asus RIVE
    Intel 3930K WATER
    RIPJAWX2133 16GB
    CorsairAX1200

parsec, thanks for the info. You covered my questions.

I was aware of some of the performance differences on the SATA (and LAN) chipsets. They are actually used because I have more drives than SATA ports. I have installed an additional eSATA controller but I have not really played with it so far. I want to get the base pieces running properly.

To reiterate my condition, I have replaced a lot of the drivers trying to rid my system of the Asus utilities. At least one of them was causing really annoying wait/lock conditions in the system. Unfortunately none of the uninstall/clean programs has worked properly. I am trying to get back to a clean machine and a cold install is, in my mind, not a reasonable alternative at this point. I am trying to recover by loading the latest chip drivers to force out any lingering Asus links. My system remains problematic after some driver updates. May or may not be a rational approach; but the best I have come up with.

The recovery disk I was referring to is a Win PE 5 disk with correct drivers. Then an attempt at repair. I have seen some references to issues between win 8 and 8.1 drivers.
    Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe
    i7 3770
    Integrated graphics
    Seasonic Platinum 760W
    Win 8.1 64 Pro

DRIVERS themselves are not likely the cause of pauses/stutters.

Are you sure that any lingering UTILITY program EXE/DLLs/etc have been removed and are now not running? Sysinternals Process Utilities

Start > Run > services.msc

And for the real hardcore: Ľ Black Viperís Windows 8.1 Service Configurations
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

parsec is offline Senior Member

I don't see anything about ASUS Smart Suite on your board's download page, you must mean the almost 200MB of ASUS utilities bundled together, starting with AI Suite II, ASUS AI Charger, etc, etc, is that right?

If so, none of those files are basic system drivers. Some of them are run as Windows Services, which you can deal with at least to some degree with Task Manager in Windows 8.

Start Task Manager (CTRL Alt Del, three fingered salute) and click the Services tab. Only services with a PID are running. Right click on a service and select Stop to stop it. You may find you can uninstall the program once the corresponding service is stopped.

I am reasonably sure that you are correct about it not being the drivers causing the problems that first made me try to remove the Asus Suite. I have searched through the system trying to find and remove debris from that installation. The problem I had did indeed go away when I initially attempted deleting the set of programs. But then I had (and still have) issues with USB ports, and possibly SATA. My thinking is that Asus may have altered registry entries to redirect something, and that was not repaired with the attempted removal. I figured that reinstalling drivers and the Intel stuff may help (can't hurt - if I get the right software). There are newer drivers for a bunch of the chips, and they should probably be updated in any event. They are newer than those on the Asus download site.

I am also considering reinstalling the Asus software one application at a time, and then uninstalling them. It might catch whatever is lingering. I am not skilled enough to figure out what Asus is really doing when they install their programs. For example, do they install different drivers. Identifying all of the things they install may not be possible by just looking at processes and services. They need not have names clearly attributable to Asus. I have gotten everything I could identify.
    Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe
    i7 3770
    Integrated graphics
    Seasonic Platinum 760W
    Win 8.1 64 Pro

Thread Information