Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Computer frequently locks up!

Exclamation Computer frequently locks up!

So my problem needs a little explanation and backstory. I've spent the past 2 months and $1200 building my dream gaming rig. The day after getting everything setup, it started locking up. At first, it was happening only with Valve Source games, but then happened later with Unigine Heaven when running a benchmark test. The problem was consistent yet happened almost seemingly at random. I ran the usual tests, kept track of Voltage, Wattage, Heat, etc. but nothing appeared abnormal. I'd even purposely run the benchmark test knowing it would eventually lock the computer up while monitoring all the measurements just hoping to see some consistent number that would give me a clue, but to no avail. I have an ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 motherboard, which after reading a few reviews I saw a lot of people complaining about lockups (albeit most of them were during booting), so I shipped it back for a replacement. Unfortunately, the new one hasn't made a difference. I'm really having a hard time believing I'm having the exact same problem with a second new board, so I've come here hoping a few of my fellow techheads can help me pinpoint what's causing this.

System Specs are as follows:
    MB: ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
    CPU: AMD FX 9590 8-core (5.0 GHz Max Turbo, 4.7 GHz Base)
    CPU Fan: Corsair H80i Hydro Series
    DRAM: G. Skill RipjawsX 16Gb (2x8Gb) DDR3
    GPU: Sapphire Vapor-X R9 280X 3Gb DDR5 Tri-X with BOOST
    PSU: Rosewill Lightning 1300W

P.S. I believe the on-board power utilities (which are all set to automatic in the BIOS) are involved. I have no experience with manually overclocking and rerouting power, but at the suggestion of a friend, I increased the voltage of the DRAM from 1.5v~1.6v and used AMD Catalyst Control to increase my GPU's power intake from 0%~20%. It noticeably extended the average runtime of the benchmark test, but still locked up. If anyone believes this could be the issue, please feel free to walk me through the process.

*NOTE* All hardware drivers are up to date.
    Last edited by ElderWolf; 06-04-2015 at 12:14 PM.

Default Re: Computer frequently locks up!

Well u need to try to narrow it down to a component...I have experienced multiple lockups in my career of fixing other people's computers. See if you can line up with one of them:1) Power supply.- if your power supply is flaking out on you, you can lock up.2) hard drive. if your ssd drive is bout to die, you can get a BOD or you can get stuck in IO wait. 3) Memory. - if there is dust in the memory bay, if connection is not very good, if memory is underpowered, under high load you can lock up.- is your ram dual channel? try to remove one module- be careful with changing memory voltage. Though AMD memory can run at 1.65v, make sure that you bough correct memory for your pc.- intel and AMD memory run at different voltages. Intel runs at lower voltage. So if you put Intel memory in your AMD build you may run into a whole bunch of different issues.4)Video- my overclocked video card caused random lock ups with distorted video on the screenCPUs never died in my hands, but if it is overclocked and doesn't have a good enough cooling system i'd guess it could cause problems.So start with simple things.- remove all peripheral devices - mobo bios upgrade- run on onboard video- run on one memory module, if supported. confirm that you have AMD compatible RAM- borrow someones power supply- try different hdd or run off a usb drive - try a different os(linux) may be a bad driver is deadlocking on IO. Update drivers.if all fails, try a different model MB...Good luck!

Thread Information