Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: My monitor makes a ringing sound.

My monitor makes a ringing sound. My guess is that it's from radio interference because the problem is intermittent. When it does happen, when I position my head in a cetain way in front of the monitor or behind the sound stops. The sound is quite annoying.

have you tried moving your monitor to a different spot (if you can)

that sound is caused by high frequency vibrations usually in the ferrite cores of metal plated in the monitor, i've had a few do it, usually a glob of silicon gel on some of the parts to hold em still will do it, but not all the time.

stupid typing to fast.............

that should read "or metal plates"
    not of metal plated

Birdkiller, you can edit any post of your own by clicking the 'edit' button........

The only monitor I ever heard make a high pitched squeal sound was a monitor that started emitting a strange smell... not quite a burning smell, but i dunno, i can't explain it... anyways after a few minutes it went blank, never to work again.

At the time is was 4 year old crappy IBM monitor that was sold with a Pentium 200 in 1996/97. It was a very early SVGA monitor.

Also, I'm paranoid about my monitor emitting radiations; is there a tool I can use to check if my monitor is within specs regarding radiation. I wish I can get a flat panel monitor.

<cough!><cough!> I feel sick. I think I'm getting too much radiation.:?:

If ya worried about radition maybe you should look into somethin' like the Kensington SlimScreen Radiation Filter. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Quote Originally Posted by Birdkiller
    that sound is caused by high frequency vibrations usually in the ferrite cores of metal plated in the monitor, i've had a few do it, usually a glob of silicon gel on some of the parts to hold em still will do it, but not all the time.
    That sounds very logical. Which parts excatly am I looking for?

The radiation thing all equals out for me as I don't get much sun since I caught the computer bug:thumb:

Aggravating though - darn ringing.
    Probably outside interference or maybe possibly a power filter could help??
    For what a dab of silicone would cost you, it would be worth a try.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Thread Information