Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: SoundBlaster Extigy Power Cable

Evenin' All ..... Well it is here anyways, so g'day to those with daylight ..... :thumb:

I've got a sound problem with a S/Blaster Extigy and would like to know, where the heck the bloody grey splitter power cable goes, as there are no male connectors on any of my PSUs, and I have half a doz or so PSUs, of different makes, models etc, and there is not one, that have a male counterpart to the female ends, apart from those females that go to the male of a Floppy ...... This grey cable cannot be connected straight onto a Floppy male pin receptor due to two lugs on the underside of the connector, and so there must be a male counterpart somewhere either on the MOBO or the PSU, which would sound the most creditable place to put one, and possibly by taking up a system fan connector on the MOBO, but there are no specs to say whether or not this is even 12v or not, in either the approx 87 page PDF Readme file, nor on the schematic diagrams for the "quick connector" for those that know what they're doing ...... And beleive me I've read the lot !!!!!

The Splitter section of the cable is only approx 40mm (1 1/4") up from one end of the cable and only 60mm (2 7/16") long itself, with the main cable being 60cm ( 2' approx) overall ..... Now logic tells me that somewhere on the Extigy board receives one end of the cable's female connector, with the splitter going to the Main Soundcard ..... This connector is also female but is only 10cm (3/8") x 7cm (1/4"), whereas the other two female connectors are 15cm (9/16") x 10cm (3/8")...... :confused:

The Sound on board ( PCI ) works with no problem, but doesn't appear to be able operate the Extigy outside unit, and am guessing that this power cable as shown in all the docs, but doesn't show where the damm thing goes, or even what voltage is supposed to be supplied to it, and thus holds the key to the main workings of the Extigy Unit, and I am really becoming increasingly dependant on getting this unit to work ..... :shrug:

Anyone with an answer, and I would be most appreciative of the knowledge that you hold, I would not hesitate to bestow the figure of an ..... upon the person who holds this one key ...... :drool:
    Great thing about flying a desktop, is that CASA ( Civil Aviation Safety Authority ) can't touch ya no matter how many times you crash and burn !!!!!! HIC HIC

Cheers 4 now from Downunder,
    Desktop Pilot

I would first check the extigy homepage and see if they have any info for your product. If not, I would email them about the problem them you are having.

A sound card with external power?.......hmmmmm. Sounds strange. A grey wire too....sounds like the gray 4 wire flat, that you use to plug into the mobo output.

Chez

To me it sounds more like the internal s/c-cdrom connection.

Thanks for tryin' Chez and Wiggo, but no answers provided are correct and Chez the cable is round, not flat, and have just pulled out the slide rule, and the main is 2mm or just over 1/16" in diameter and the wires are incredibly thin like about 4 strands of normal copper wire in each, ie the split up between the power and earth sides, and each wire is almost 1mm or 1/32" in diameter, again, as measured with the slide rule.....

I've contacted creative on this a couple of times and had no reply ...... I might ring Sydney today, and check out their scrambled brains, as they usually don''t even know what a Soundblaster is as comparred to a graphics card !!!!!!!! :afro:

Thanks gents and check ya later eh ? :cheers:
    Great thing about flying a desktop, is that CASA ( Civil Aviation Safety Authority ) can't touch ya no matter how many times you crash and burn !!!!!! HIC HIC

Desktop Pilot

I was talking about the female connector end. That is a four wire flat female connector.....right? That is the same as the grey four wire that you connect the cdrom and mobo with. The wiring is of course round.
    I think that is what both Wiggo and I were talking about.

Good luck,
    Chez

Beefy Guest

Does it look anything like this?

EDIT: I just had a look at the Extigy specs, and there should be only ONE cable that comes with it, which is the USB cable. There is no power cable, nor any need for one. If it's the cable you see here, then it's from something else.

Beefy that looks correct, and is what I am holding in my hand, but the USB cable you're talkin' about is actually a 1394 Firewire cable and connector, and then you've got the split flat ribbon cables that go from the Soundcard in the PCI Slot to the smaller card that you use in one backspace cutout for, to hook up the Extigy cables and also has the Firewire socket on it as well ..... WHOA THERE BOY, WHOA !!!! That's what I need !!!!

SORRY FELLAS, That ain't no Extigy but an AUDIGY !!!! So we'll start again eh ?

There's a wide flat cable that is 80cm or 3 1/4" wide at the AUDIGY unit's cable's connection card, the small card, and as there are two parts to the Soundcard, the other end of that wide ribbon cable splits into one 5cm (2") and 35cm (1 1/4") slots on the main Soundcard that goes into the PCI Slot and under it, if that's where you want the smaller card to go, in the base of the case as most MOBOs don't have PCI ISA etc slots, and so don't utilise the bottom cutout at the back of the case, so is where I have put the Extra Thick Cable that connects to that small card that the AUDIGY UNIT connects too ..... That smaller card has a male receptacle underneath it beside where the extra wide flat ribbon cable connects, and is a male connector for one end of that skinny cable, and there is a three pin with a gap, between two of the pins, that looks to take the 4hole but only three with wires fit on the main Soundcard, so that means the other connector, the small squarish looking one must go somewhere, but where ?

Sorry Chez , Wiggo, Beefy, I thought you meant the cable was flat, as per a floppy or H/Drive or CD cable looks like, and not the connector ends ..... BTW it's definitely not, either a CDRom Digital or other sound type cable .....

I'm the one that deserves that !!!

I think and sincerely hope I've explained it pretty well this time, and we'll see what we can find from this ..... : peace2:

Desktop Pilot

Connect the power splitter cable from the Audigy Extension card to the system power supply unit [B]

At long last, Creative have updated their website, and found the above, but still weird that they would supply a connecting cable that doesnt adapt to any known PSU's or MOBO piins, unless you use a what may be a needed System Fan connector ..... :shoot3:

Oh well at least the main question has been answerred, but still not sure on the voltage to that line, but then a minor problem in the scheme of things though ..... :cheers:

Desktop Pilot

Voltage 12V !!!!!!! Only taken six months to query and with Creative till I found the answer ...... :bounce2:

Desktop Pilot

Glad to hear you finally found out what it was, and what the voltage requirement is.

Chez

Thread Information