Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: 5.1 surround sound

Just bought a new 5.1 surround sound system. On my computer I have all the right ports for the speakers and subwoofer, etc. I hooked them all up and when I get close i can hear the rear speakers are on, but when Im in an application it plays only on the front two. I went to the control panel and switched the speaker setup to the one I have, but still they dont work. I dont have a sound card, just the onboard sound that came with my intel board. Could this be the problem? :shrug: Any help is appreciated.:cheers:

As long as your motherboard supports 4 channels or above then you should hear sound from all four speakers. You see the channel(s) tells how many speakers it can support. For example a four channel sound card will support 4 speakers, and a 6 channel sound card will support 6 speakers. Now, i don't know whether the built in sound that comes with your motherboard support four channel or not, you should check to make sure, but most modern motherboard should support up to 6 channels. Now to solve your problem, I am not mistaken, you should have the speaks and a subwoofer. There should be two wires that you have to connect to the back of your motherboard, one is green and the other is black. The green one is four the speakers, and the black one is for the subwoofer. Try unply the black speakers just hook to green wire into the green hole in the back of your motherboard, and see wether you get sound from all four speakers or not, if it works then your subwoofer also work even though you didn't plug in the black wire. What happen is that all the speakers will be plugged into the back of the subwoofer. Well, other than being just a subwoofer, it also has the chips that will handle the processing to all those speakers. The output is the green wire, so as long as you plug the green wire into the green hole, everything should work.

Option 2: if that method didn't work, then try plug the black and green wire into the back of your motherboard. Open the sound control panel, which is the speaker icon that locates at the lower right hand corner of your desktop. Right click on that icon and then choose "Open Volume Control" Once you are in, selec "Advanced" that is located under the Master Volume column and then check the box that says "rear speakers connected to linein" that it doesn't work, then check both boxes.

Then go back to desktop click on "Start" go to "Settings", choose "Control Panel"
    once it is opened select "Sounds and Audio Devices" under the "speakers settings" tab there will be an "Advanced" button click on it, from the
    drop down menu select "5.1 Surround Sound speakers" good luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by WWE rules
    I dont have a sound card, just the onboard sound that came with my intel board. Could this be the problem? :shrug: Any help is appreciated.:cheers:
    What mobo model are ya talkin' about anyway? (this will help a very great deal for starters) :?:

oh sorry about that, a pentium 4. And Ill try that ^^^thanks.

Mobo model, not ya CPU ;)

:cheers:

nevermind, I've come to the conclusion I need to get a sound card with support for 5.1 sound. The onboard sound I have doesnt have enough lines in. What is the best sound card I can get for around $60.00?

For more you can get an Audigy2, for less a SB Live!

whats the difference? And just curious does a sound card make the quality any better than onboard sound? Thanks for your help.

Thread Information