Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Speaker and sound card question

Had my Cambridge Soundworks 5.1 System for like 5 years or something now, and looking to replace with something similar, what are you guys suggestions?

Also, I have a Soundblaster Live! Gamer card that still works perfectly for me with the exception that it does not have any front audio outputs. I am not really looking to uprgade my sound card over just that one little vice, so can anyone give me any other compelling reasons to upgrade to say an Audigy 2 or Audigy card? I haven't really seen where they do a better job, but I haven't been looking that hard either so let me know what you guys think.

Beefy Guest

There's probably no great reason to upgrade either your speaker or soundcard, however there will be better alternatives out there.

Around September last year I built myself a new system, and upgraded from a SB Live! to an Audigy 2, as well as from a basic 4.1 surround system to the Logitech z-680's, and I can easily say that the new system sounds infinitely better than the old. The Audigy 2 supports the latest EAX, which is excellent if you're a heavy gamer. Plus the z-680 speakers seem to be a good value for money product.

In the end though, it all boils down to what you're looking for and what you want. The Audigy 2 Platinum will give you that front panel (part of the reason I got it ;) ) and the z680 speakers are good for a basic home theater system as well as PC speakers.

Thread Information