Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The forgotten component - What’s up with computer audio?

Default Re: The forgotten component - What’s up with computer audio?

Excellent post katalyst^, which unfortunately falls on as many deaf ears and technically illiterate souls as prefer 5.1 + pseudo channels of sonic sludge, that hits the upper reaches of double digit distortion even on crude static tests, and offers no scale to what's supposed to be happening in a game, and far too often even a DVD video.

As most gamers are confined to a chair in front of a computer display with fairly consistent aspect ratios I'm surprised and disappointed no serious effort has not been made to develop real binaural processing for game sound render; it's a match made in heaven that it would seem will never happen.

crzyone, what is your HT setup? and/or what do you use for your pc speakers? and anyone else who chooses to read/reply? :)

I for one appreciate the review of sound cards. I've always been aware of the potentially quite substantial hit to proccessing that a crappy sound solution can produce. Up until now have been willing to pay extra dollars for better and less cpu intensive sound (AWE32, sound blaster live, audoligy2). Not that I love creative, but they have been one of the few companies pushing new features in this area.

With people spending large dollars $500+ for the latest graphics card for that last ounce of fps performance. I think it quite pertinate to have discussion of other components which affect performance.

All in all I find many benchmark tests to be nit picking, where the percentage differences are less than say 5% what's the real difference? However everytime the newest cards come out from nvidia and ati you'll see a plethora of reviews drawing conclusions from such slim fps decrepancies.

Most important for me is the increase in the quality of sound, which much like the increase of quality in video is much harder to convey. If anything audio is often even more subjective than colour/video quality.

Sure if you're a competition gamer then turn down your quality of graphics and sound so that it's blocky and fast. For most people playing games it's about the imersive experience, so the better the quality the better the experience. Although positional audio can be quite an advantage in first person shooters.

Computer sound has been sadly lacking for a long time. Look at how speakers for computers were crap and over priced for a long time. Even by the usual boosterism stero standards, spectacularly inflated imaginary power ratios have been the norm. Why should a set of computer speakers have cost $200 when you can buy whole mini system for same price...

In regards to the 5.1 to 6.1 to 7.1 n.1 debate. Of course there is better fidelity with more speakers, however I don't think that there will be much progress for some time beyond 5.1. The problem is that to many people have invested in 5.1 systems, they're not ready to throw it all out for a 7.1 system which is going to be marginally better. While there are many 5.1 cheapo systems there are also many large captial cost 5.1 systems out there.

I don't see the storage problem as an issue. So what if laser disc failed, newer dvd technologies are coming along which will allow plenty of room for more channels to be stored. My two cents on this issue is that to send really high definition we'll need to be storing things on hard disks to send around quality terribyte movie sizes anyone.

People are mostly very visual, and hence I expect the focus on visual components of computers, to the exclusion of other areas. Sound though can play a big part in immersive experiences. What about interfaces, and the rest of the five senses?! Smellovision anyone :)

I'll end my rant here with observation, it's all about the quality. For all those claiming happiness with your on board audio: Problem is if all you've ever seen/heard is crap then you don't realise how good gold can be! Of course once you've tasted platinum then you can really see the difference between it and lead!

personally..my speaker choice from now on will always be a ribbon speaker....cone drivers just dont to it for me anymore....yay martin logan! :)
    pair em with a decent soundcard and source...and voila....good quality sound :) the A2ZS leaves a lot to be desired..but its far from 'standard'

I enjoyed the comments over at Slashdot better than the article and at least Slashdot loads quickly.

I'm just curious about where all of these new users came from. It looks like 5+ users came out of no where for this discussion.

Well, I have one of those Realtek ALC658 6-channel CODEC with automatically audio jack sensing, onboard sound chipsets, on my Abit AI7 Intel motherboard. Digital in and Digital out and lots of other nice inputs and outputs. I have not had any problems with it, and that is the main reason I use it. I don't have to buy an extra sound card, which IMO has dubious improvement for playing games, especially the Creative cards. Why should I buy another sound card for $100 plus, that might gain me a couple of frames per second and probably will not sound any better to my ears. IMO I am better off spending the mony on a faster cpu or a graphics card which will give me a much bigger frames per second improvement.

Angry Re: The forgotten component - What’s up with computer audio?

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    I'm just curious about where all of these new users came from. It looks like 5+ users came out of no where for this discussion.
    I do that on every soundstorm related article. Consider me a fan.

Or fanatic, if you prefer.

Seawolf of NFHQ

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    This may answer your question, http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=0...&tid=141&tid=1

Ah, the classic shameless plug.
    Edit: Well, maybe not. But still an explanation.
    Last edited by Yawgm0th; 09-07-2004 at 07:05 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information