Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Crt to LCD connector question

Default Crt to LCD connector question

i'm looking to buy a new card. I see that most of them come with a CRT to LCD connection. My question is.. how reliable are these things? If they are good.. i may get one of the dual lcd plugged cards.

example
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...130-212&depa=1
    Last edited by paleghost; 12-03-2004 at 03:00 PM.

Default Re: Crt to LCD connector question

I've been using them for a few years now and I've not had a prob with any of them.

Just be sure to get the proper ones...
    There are two or more types of DVI conectors... The ones I know of are DVI-I and DVI-D... Now that I think about it DVI-I incorperates both designs if I remember correctly.

What would DVI-D be used for? Would it be some sort of special monitor for graphics editing or somting of the sort? Or is it just an older standard?
    My Current Rigs:
    Antec P180, OCZ Powerstream 520W, DFI nF4 SLI-DR Expert, AMD X2 4400 w/XP120(2.6GHz@1.45v), 2x1GB OCZ Platnium PC3200, BFG 7900GT@592/800(1.6), WD 250GB SATA, Maxtor 120GB IDE, LG DVD/CD Combo(black), Sony DRU-810 DL DVD Burner(black)
    3DMark01:25379, 3DMark03:19746
    3DMark05:9294, 3DMark06:5340

Raidmax Cobra, Fortron PN-400W, ASUS A8N-E(nF4 Ultra), X2 3800 w/AMD heatpipe cooler, 2x 512MB Crucial Balistix, ATI X300, WD 250GB IDE, Samsung 16x DVD/RW

From PC User.com.au:

WHAT ARE THE DVI FORMATS ?
    There three types of DVI connections:

1. DVI-D (Digital)
    2. DVI-A (Analog)
    3. DVI-I (Integrated Digital/Analog)

DVI-D - True Digital Video
    DVI-D format is used for direct digital connections between source video (namely, video cards) and digital LCD (or rare CRD) monitors. This provides a faster, higher-quality image than with analog, due to the nature of the digital format. All video cards initially produce a digital video signal, which is converted into analog at the VGA output. The analog signal travels to the monitor and is re-converted back into a digital signal. DVI-D eliminates the analog conversion process and improves the connection between source and display.

DVI-A - High-Res Analog
    DVI-A format is used to carry a DVI signal to an analog display, such as a CRD monitor or and HDTV. Although some signal quality is lost from the digital to analog conversion, it still transmits a higher quality picture than standard VGA.

DVI-I - The Best of Both Worlds
    DVI-I format is an integrated cable which is capable of transmitting either a digital-to-digital signal or an analog-to-analog signal, but it will not work transmitting a digital-to-analog or analog-to-digital signal.

Like any other format, DVI digital and analog formats are non-interchangeable. This means that a DVI-D cable will not
    work on an analog system, nor a DVI-A on a digital system. Make sure that you know what format each part of your
    equipment is before you purchase any DVI cables. Only equipment with a DVI port labeled 'DVI-I' will accept both a DVI-D and DVI-A source signal.

NOTE: Many manufacturers will use DVI ports with all available pin holes open. This does not mean that the port is DVI-I. It is a precautionary measure to prevent pins breaking off if the wrong type of cable is inserted. Verify the DVI format of the port from the label, manual, or manufacturer.
    Hope this helps.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Thread Information