Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Desktop Resolutions and Monitor shake...

Default Desktop Resolutions and Monitor shake...

Hello,

Just curious what some of your desktop resolutions are here at the fourms. What do you think the optimal desktop resolution is? By the way my monitor is a View Sonic E771. I also have a question to what appears as a slight shake of the images on my screen. It's not very noticible, but it is annoying. Is this normal?

Any idea what up with my monitor?

THANKS!

Default Re: Desktop Resolutions and Monitor shake...

It depends on what size your monitor is. Your screen is shaking because it doesnt like your refresh rate. Change it until it looks good.

As stated above, it depends on monitor size. I generally use 1280x1024 on my displays but I'm using a 21" CRT and a 19" DVI LCD on my home systems.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Another thing that can cause displays to seem "shaky" is signal intereference. Cingular phones are crappy at that. When my phone sends and recieves signals my CRT monitor shakes and my speakers make a whirring noise. Seeing that you have a 17" display (16" viewable) I would go with 1024x768. Anything else will be too small unless you like the tiny view. Make sure there's no intereference possible around your monitor (radios, cell phones, magnets of any sort, and anything unshielded from EM frequencies). That being said, none of this probably matters. It's just 1:15 am EST and I have nothing to do.

60 and 70Hz seem to work great for CRTs. Unless it's newer and can handle higher, but yours isn't newer.

Reguardless of eat@joes' information do NOT set the refresh rate as low as 60 - 70 mhz unless you want eyestrain and headaches. Nearly all monitors of the 17" flavor are capible of at least 75mhz and 1024x768. I usually try to avoid anything less than 85mhz myself.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Anything less than 72Hz will damage your eyes over time and should irritate them after a few hours or even a few seconds, depending on how sensitive your eyes are. I fyou pay close attention, you should be able to see the individual refreshes when running below 72Hz. I never go lower than 72Hz. My Gateway 17'' could only handle 1280x1024 at 60Hz, so I was restricted to gaming at 1024x768. My new one will handle 1600x1200 at 75Hz and 1280x960 at 85Hz, so I generally game at those, even though the monitor and the system could handle higher in some games.

I use 1280x960 for my desktop, but that's because it's a 19'' monitor and text is almost unreadable at 1600x1200. I use 1024x768 on all of my 15-17'' CRTs. My dad still uses 800x600 on his 19'' LCD, and I've found most older people need 800x600 or at most 1024x768. Anyone with good eyesight and a monitor that isn't rediculously small will want 1024x768 or higher, though.

As for the shaking, I once had this problem with one of 17'' CRTs when it was on 1024x768 on the desktop. It was placed on the floor and it's cord went through a lot of other cords and other crap to get to the computer. When I moved it back up on my desk, the problem stopped entirely. It's sitting right next to me running the desktop at 1024x768@85Hz with no problems.

Thread Information