Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sapphire X850XT PE performance

Default Re: Sapphire X850XT PE performance

Yeah, the ram is VX, but no, I don't have it cooled. How would I cool the RAM though? I've got a lot of fans on the case. My temps never even go above 40 C. If you look at the pictures, you can see I can't put the video card in the first slot because the chipset water block is in the way.

http://members.cox.net/bobby74213/pc1.jpg
    http://members.cox.net/bobby74213/pc2.jpg

I'm in the process of overclocking RAM right now. I'm following the steps in this thread from DFI-Street, which is a really good one. It explains everything.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/show...67&postcount=3

What voltage are you using for the RAM? At higher voltages (3.2v, 3.3v, and so on), it can get quite hot and sometimes needs a fan pointed right at it. If you have fairly good air cooling, it might not be a problem, but I'd try Prime95w with your RAM at a voltage below 3.0v (and increased timings/lowered speed) to make sure it's not overheating.

Me personally, I always run 2 60MM fans taped together end to end over the ram:

I keep the ram at 3.2V and 2-2-2-8-T1 pretty much all the time as I tend to game most of the time and it is a pain in the ass to adjust the booster to raise the ram voltages. And when I overclock, I just set it to 3.6V as it is the most that the ram needs for maximum clocks. It is never more than slightly warm to the touch and is usually cool to the touch at stock speeds. OCZ claims it helps reduce/eliminate errors when they are actively cooled and it seems to work for me. You don't need high speed noisy fans either. The fans I use are 20CFM @ 2000RPM so they are almost silent.

I have run the ram @ 2-3-3-8-T1 @ 2.6V error free for many many hours. Some people say that it should be run 2.5-3-3-8 when running it at 2.6V, but I have had no problems with this set or a set of PC3200 VX I have. And they all read 2.5-4-4-10 in the SPD tab of CPUZ. As long as they will run 2-3-3-8 @ stock voltages (2.6-2.7V) it should be in good condition. As for overclocking, I have never tried running it at less than 3.1V over 200MHz. I honestly would expect you to need to raise the voltages significantly to overclock even a little bit. I may be wrong, but that's what works for me. And it has taken me over 3.5V to get it over 260MHz. Any voltage over 3.7V has had no effect.

And I basically just lay the fans over the ram, no brackets or anything. Just find something to either zip tie it or even just pin it in place. You don't need perfect placement, just some airflow across them.
    Last edited by casecutter; 09-16-2005 at 10:39 AM.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Well, I just roasted one of my RAM sticks (godammit) and possibly something on the motherboard... for some reason, one if my LAN's isn't showing up... Anyway, since I gotta get new RAM now, is there any better RAM out there for overclocking than OCZ EL GOLD PC4000 VX?

If you are looking to do some moderate overclocking, use TCCD based ram which doesn't require high voltage to do good things. For extreme overclocking, either VX or Mushkin Redline are the best and give the best results. If you were using the 5V jumper to get more voltage to the ram, that was probably your problem. While the DFI boards have the best overclocking options, they are horrible to work with. The MSI boards are much more forgiving and they are much easier to overclock. Using the OCZ DDR booster, I have given my ram 3.8V with no issues. It just stops scaling higher at 3.6V. I suggest a MSI board with some TCCD based ram for ease of overclocking, and switch to VX or Redline with a DDR booster for extreme overclocking. I had the DFI ULTRA-D NF3 board and it was nothing but trouble. I personally don't like them and avoid them.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate

Okay, well I may not have fried it. I don't know. But I am very confused. Either I got a pretty bad set of sticks or I am completely missing something obvious. I'm going to take your advice, casecutter and run it at 2-3-3-8 2.6V and see if that's stable, but it doesn't look promising.

Question: Is that the only thing you set in the Genie section? Do you leave everything else on auto?

Yes, and you may need to run it 2.5-3-3-8 to get it stable. This ram is very funny about voltages. It probably won't overclock much without 3.2-3.3V, but with the proper voltage and cooling, it should clock up well.

Memtest it at 2.5-3-3-8, then try 2-3-3-8. Leave all other settings on auto.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate

So I finally figured it out. I removed the chipset water block and installed the video card in the first PCI-E slot. With everything running stock I got 6422. About 1250 better than when I had everything overclocked and the video card in the second PCI-E slot. I wonder if there's any jumpers that can fix this... Or I may just have to lose the water block on the chipset. It didn't seem all that necessary anyway.

Thats great! Yeah, chipset waterblocks are pretty much for show. I went through alot of trouble making mine fit and I wish I just didn't bother. I am unsure of jumpers or what not for that second PCI-E slot, but there must be a way to run the card in the second slot. I suggest posting on the DFI-Street forums and see if they can give you a better answer on that question.

Has the ram decided to cooperate? Just curious if that problem was tied to your video problem.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate

Oddly enough, The RAM is working much better. With everything set to auto it runs at 2.5-3-2-5 (which is huge improvement). I researched some at DFI-Street and it looks like I can't just use the bottom slot because of the the jumpers for SLI mode.

My chipset runs about 10 degrees hotter, but my CPU (and I'm assuming my GPU) runs about 5 degrees cooler. I was able to OC the CPU to 2.95 GHz and keep it stable.

So now I'll see what I can do with the RAM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information