Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: X-FI that good?

1. Default X-FI that good?

Ok, so I'm really into music and sound stuff. I bought a sound blaster audigy 2 zs gamer last year. I like it a lot for games, but I wish it was a little better for music. How much better is the x-fi? Is it really worth the upgrade?

Default Re: X-FI that good?

I also have the Audigy 2 ZS and I am highly doubtful that the new X-FI is worth the upgrade. What speakers do you run? I have the Z-680s and they are intense! I have to basically keep everything on my desk either glues down or move it off when I am cranking it out. Evne the highs are unexpectedly crisp! I consider myself an audiophile as well and cannot speak highly enough of them. I have my rear speakers on stands and I get perfect placement so that even in games the sound is surreal. As far as I know, the Klipsch ULTRA 5.1 is the only other system that is maybe slightly better. Consider a speaker upgrade first.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

3. Default Re: X-FI that good?

I've got a cheap Avia 5.1 that I got from Newegg for $50 (127 watts). I also have an Aiwa bookshelf system (about 150 watts). I'll be replacing the cables soon and upgrading the speakers to a 3.1 Eosone (it was a popular brand in 2000 from best buy and is now unheard of). I was just using 4 of the Avia speakers and buying a 7.1 reciever and hooking it all up that way. But the only problem that I have now is that I have to use 1/8th of an inch headphone jacks that split to twin rca plugs to hook it up to the main unit. The current Avia uses the sub as the sending unit for the other 5 speakers. How is your's wired up? Because I'm not sure what to do now. In order to hook up 7 speakers, I would need to get a reciever or do something else. But if I used a reciever, it would probably downgrade the quality. Whatever. Here's the budget:$350 max. Somebody help!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16836121120

Logitech Z5500's $219

That is the Logitech Z5500's. Same thing as mine, just a newer model. They come with the proper cable to attach to your soundcard. They also have digital inputs if needed. That being said, they will completely destroy the setup you are attemting to build, and they will blow you away. I am not just talking loud sound, I am talking crystal clear loud powerful sound. My subwoofer literally makes things rattle two rooms away in my house. The mids and highs are clear as a bell and they just work awesome! Besides, they are well under your budget.

If money is no object (and still under your budget):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16836119106

Klipsch 5.1 Ultra's $299

I had a set of the 2.1 Klipsch speakers and they were amazing. These systems are unworldly. While I still stand behind my Logitechs, if I had the extra dough 1 1/2 years ago when I got my Logitechs, I would own these. The satellite's have dual drivers and the sound is just as intense and the Logitechs. I had the chance to listen to them being used in anger and they also blew me away.

With either set, you cannot lose. Both sets come with proper cables and everything you need to rock and roll. My personal opinion, get the Logitechs and then get some stands for the rear speakers with the extra money.

As for actual 7.1 steups, there are not really any powerful ones in your budget range. Here is the king of kings for PC sound:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16836116142

Creative GIGAWORKS 7.1 $429.99

While I have not actully heard them, the specifications are unreal. And the sound field would have to be amazing. I believe they use Cambridge Soundworks speakers which are also very high end. If you consider these, make sure you do some research as I have not actually had the pleasure to listen to them.
    Last edited by casecutter; 01-18-2006 at 11:07 AM.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate

For 219 bucks...you can not complain about the logitechs...my friend just order em...he has to keep the sound down since the neighbors complain..but they hit very hard.

Change your cables so it can be run into a stereo or a component setup, i had mine running into a amp, then feeding it into 5.1 setup with a 12" carbon fibre sub running 250w and 100w into rears fronts and centre.

Quote Originally Posted by AsianBatman
    For 219 bucks...you can not complain about the logitechs...my friend just order em...he has to keep the sound down since the neighbors complain..but they hit very hard.
    My Logitech headset cost $15 and the quality is pretty good. I can too complain about $219.

Wow, you sure can! (Just kidding!!)

I wish I had only paid $219 for mine, considering I bought them 1 1/2 years ago when they were selling for a premium. I listen to music quite a bit on my PC and I have a 80GB hard drive dedicated just to my music. I don't download, I just copy CD's to it. Makes my day alot more enjoyable, and I don't regret it. I also own my own home so I can blast them whenver I feel like it (meaning: whenever my wife lets me!). But you have to admit, your headphones cannot shake the keyboard and mouse off your desk at high volume levels! LOL!!!
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate

Causing me to to crash my F35B into an aircraft carrier off the coast of a fictional Middle Eastern city as I attempt to reload? No, that would be quite detrimental to gaming (and I care about games a lot more than listening to music on my computers). Honestly I would like some awesome speakers for Call of Duty 2, because I can afford the slight disadvantage of not having headphones, but for most of my games headphones are superior anyway.

It's really a non-issue because I can't even afford a pair of headphones right now. Money is a virtually non-existent commodity for me.

Thread Information