Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: I need some advice

Default I need some advice

I am having trouble playing doom 3 on my system! Fairly new just about a year old. I have a Radeon 9600 video card, and all the current drivers installed . . . Here's the problem I am having! I load the game and can play it for a little while, and then it starts to freeze, and repeat. I can best desribe it like skiping or studdering! Can anyone out there tell me what might be causing it, and how I might fix it? I sure hope so thanks for the time.

Default Re: I need some advice

We need to know what other components your system is composed of.

firstly, radeons are bad with this game. i'v proved this with a geforce fx5500 and an atlantis 9600, the radeon sytem was even more terrible than the fx. at least the fx system was playable. if your card has passive cooling, you need to mod it with a fan, cause mine crashed often, too. this has been sorted by my fan.
    System Specs:
    AMD athlon 64 3200 venice @ 2.4ghz
    Asrock Dual-939SATA2
    Sapphire Radeon X800GTO2 chip r430 @ 480mhz core/540mhz mem with 1.6v vcore
    1gb Corsair XMS TwinX PC3200 timings 2-3-3-6 at 400mhz
    250gb Hitatchi deskstar T7K500 SATAII disk
    160gb samsung spinpoint PATA disk
    Asus 1608P2 DVD+/-RW Dual Layer
    Unbranded 500W PSU single 17A rail
    Innovatek and Asetek Watercooling (triple fan radiator)
    LOTS OF METAL

They aren't "bad" per se, but they are worse than their nVidia equivelents in all generations. It's actually not a big difference for the 5 and 9 series, respectively, but it's huge in the 6 and X series. A Radeon 9600 is more than enough to play the game comfortably.

Honestly though, what use is this post two weeks after the original poster failed to reply to my reply?

lazy people... anyway who would want to play doom3 for anything other than its looks - which you dont really get with a 9600
    System Specs:
    Asrock Dual-939SATA2
    LOTS OF METAL

damn dude. thats insane. i was in the exact same situation... (only my doom 3 is crack copy LOL)

without going into the specs its over heating. the little 9600 cant handle a load like doom3, nor can it handle hl2 or far cry. what i did was spend $300(cdn and a long time ago) on a 6600GT. i love it. its runs everything fine, i can get medium quality with 40fps on 1200x1000. actually its been a while and looking at those numbers, it was probibly lower, anywho its a nice card

but with $300(cdn) now you can get a 6800ULTRA or 7800GS (asuming your system is agp). but if youre planning on becoming a hardcore gamer, your stuck in the same position as i am... the pci-e plunge. (without going into detail, it requires you to replace motherboard, gfx card, processer, ram, (usually) hard-drive.

so if you plan on playing doom3 and hl2 and medium quality, stick with agp, but if you plan to venture out into the gaming world of ps3- lke gfx, your gonna need to replace that comp. sorry bro :(

my two cents

if you run a 939 athlon look at the asrock dual-939. for only 50 its a grat way to switch. ive had no probs yet, atlthough i get stuck around a 250mhz fsb, and normal voltage settings are weak.
    heck, i could play both far cry and other highend games on medium with the 9600, i must be used to geting 19FPS. changed now, though
    System Specs:
    Asrock Dual-939SATA2
    LOTS OF METAL

Thread Information