Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Big TV set purchasing advice needed.

Default Big TV set purchasing advice needed.

I was thinking about buying a Big screen TV at BestBuy that they have on sale for $2,999 (US) not including sales tax. I decided to call BestBuy this morning to get a model number and do a quick Google search for reviews and pricing. Turns out I can get it online for much less $2,700 plus free shipping.
    http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...58?v_c=BizRate

Would anyone suggest getting something different or advise against ordering from this place? The T.V. will be used heavily for video games (eg. Xbox 360).
    Last edited by Spongebob; 02-22-2006 at 02:33 AM.

Default Re: Big TV set purchasing advice needed.

First off 62 inches is a BIG tv. Most people dont realize how far away you have to sit to be comfortable. 12 feet at the minimum for a tv of that size. Also I work at a store that sells pretty high end tvs and I have never seen a mitsubshi tv so i might be suspicious of the quality. Secondly LCD projection TVs can have problems with viewing angles so if you have a bunch of people sitting around playing games to guys on the outside might have problems with the screen becoming really faded. Third if you dont have HD cable or satelitte this TV will look like ass (all HDTV's will). Also this TV does not support 1080p which will soon become the standard for HD broadcasts. If i was you I would look at the new 50" sony SXBR projections LCDs. They have a MUCH higher resolution 1920*1080 (compared to 1280*720 for this one) which means when u use ur xbox 360 on the 1080i setting u will get a much better picture. Also it doesn't look like this TV supports 1080i. Also the sony sxbr tv's are in their third generation which means they do not suffer the problems that plague other lcd projection tvs, like viewing angles, faded blacks and reds, and short lamp lives. Hope this helps.

one place that has very good prices is Costco. Go check that place out they have great prices and warranties. Oh yah when new systems comeout they have so many of them. I stood in line for 30 minutes to get a xbox360 they had 76 of them and it come with extra stuff for a cheaper price, and not that many people know about that plus you have to be 18 to be member and also not its expensive to be member but being a member is well worth it. When PS3 comes out iam going to buy 2 from them and sell one on ebay for 1500.

Is there a certain model you'd recommend? I'd like to try to keep it under $3000.

I would recommend the Sony 50" Grand WEGA SXRD Rear-Projection HDTV. its 3500 but the extra 500 is certainly worth it. Plus it u go to the store u could probably get them to take several hundred off. I know the cost on this tv and its only about 2500. So they have a lot of margin to work with.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1125465419565

Quote Originally Posted by meesta_sparkle
    I would recommend the Sony 50" Grand WEGA SXRD Rear-Projection HDTV. its 3500 but the extra 500 is certainly worth it. Plus it u go to the store u could probably get them to take several hundred off. I know the cost on this tv and its only about 2500. So they have a lot of margin to work with.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1125465419565
    How about this one? http://www.pcandplasma.com/shop/Prod...ku=Snkds60xbr1.

$2,899.99. Shipping would cost an additional $299. Why is this cheaper than the one your recommending?<TD width="10"></TD><TD width="100"></TD>

I don't know why its cheaper, but its 60" versus 50" other than that they are both the same so i don't see why you shouldn't go with it. Thats actually an excellent price and is lower than the cost of the 60" at Best Buy.

You could also try a search engine like mysimon.com or pricewatch.com, you can avoid paying the taxes which is a very good thing on a ~3k purchase like yours. Best Buy CAN and WILL come down quite a bit, I know a manager there and was taking me around, showing me how much they pay for different TVs, some were marked up over 1K(about a year ago).

Quote Originally Posted by matm347
    You could also try a search engine like mysimon.com or pricewatch.com, you can avoid paying the taxes which is a very good thing on a ~3k purchase like yours. Best Buy CAN and WILL come down quite a bit, I know a manager there and was taking me around, showing me how much they pay for different TVs, some were marked up over 1K(about a year ago).
    I'm giving mysimon.com a try.... Pricewatch is mostly PC stuff though.
    I didn't know BestBuy haggled anymore since way back when they use to pay their employees commissions. When I called them yesterday to see if they'd price match with the above links, the salesman told me that they did, but when I gave him the websites above, he said they only match certain websites which seems to be limited to one and that is Circuit City's:(.
    I think I'll end up getting the stand for the TV set from BestBuy unless I find a good deal online to ship one. I'll definitly try to haggle them down in price on it. Thanks for the advise.

Thread Information