Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Advice Needed! Please help me choose some new hardware.

Question Advice Needed! Please help me choose some new hardware.

Hello All (nice to be here).

I just wondered if somebody could give me some advice please as to what bits I can buy for my PC as I would like to upgrade some hardware this weekend.

*Graphics* I have a Nvidia GeForce 4 4200. It has 128 on board I believe and since I dont have (and am not buying) a pci-express motherboard I would like a new AGP card that will improve things greatly over my GeForce 4.
    Been thinking of a GeForce 6800 GT or maybe GeForce 6600 depending on price.
    I have no idea about how much better these cards will be compared to my GeForce 4 - I am presuming I will see a great improvement?

Are they any good for casual games like UT2004, TOCA Race Driver 2?

Is 256mb on board a must and a great improvement over a 128mb card?

I suppose the rest of my system is important when thinking about a new graphics card and so I can tell you that I have
    WindowsXP
    768 DDR SDRAM
    Asus P4S8X motherboard
    Intel Pentium 4 2.0 processor.

*Sound* Have a Soundblaster LIVE! (I think). Want something with a 5.1 output (digital out (once single wire, not 6)). Been looking at Audigy SE.
    Any advice?

Any help/advice or comments on this would help me so so much as I am not sure what to go for.
    I appreciate all replies.
    Cheers people!

Graham

Default Re: Advice Needed! Please help me choose some new hardware.

just go for a pci express mother board. all your comput er stats are outdated i would say get a new motherboard with amd 64 athlon. and a 6800gs which is 179 and can be oced way faster than the GT. Just ge t a new comp

Burton,
    Thanks for the reply and I TOTALLY agree with you.

But... can't afford new PC right now and would rather save until the new 64bit hardware comes out in about 6 months.

Anyway, apart from the motherboard being rubbish, the processor is fine and 768mb is fine for good gaming. If I get a new motherboard I will need to get a socket 7 processor and there is nothing wrong with the one I have got. blah blah blah - I have thought about all this.

So, back to the original question... with my motherboard... P4 2.0 and 768mb - what Graphics and Sound card shoud I go for.

Burton88 ... I don't mean to be rude and I know that you are probably trying to help but I'm not really seeing a lot of helpful advice from you in most of these threads.
    I assume Comfy is like the majority of people in the real world and does not have a lot of cash to spend. If he/she was in a position to simply replace the system then that would be a good route to take and I assume that Comfy is aware of the fact that he/she no longer has a bleeding edge system.

Having got that out of my system ... the reality is that your computer is a bit long in the tooth but if you want to upgrade then the route you are looking at will help a great deal. The newer video cards do indeed blow the old GeForce4 series out of the water. ( As for which one is best ... better wait for one of our more current members to assist or look for some benchmark comparisons). Boosting your RAM to 1GB would also help a little. Be aware that you may also need a new power supply to feed your sytem. The big thing to keep in mind is that most parts that you put into your system will prolly be of little use if you do decide to do a major upgrade in the next year or so. You can probably get your computer to handle almost any of todays games with a few upgrades but don't plan on playing the latest and greatest ones at top settings.

For comparisons sakes my system (in sig.) still can run anything that I've thrown at it at decent speeds. It sucks at most current benchmark programs and I do have to turn down some of the eye candy in a few games but for the most part it is still a capable gameing system in my eyes.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Talking Re: Advice Needed! Please help me choose some new hardware.

I assume Comfy is like the majority of people in the real world and does not have a lot of cash to spend. If he/she was in a position to simply replace the system then that would be a good route to take and I assume that Comfy is aware of the fact that he/she no longer has a bleeding edge system.
    You hit the nail on the head there Dawg, thanks.

Having got that out of my system ... the reality is that your computer is a bit long in the tooth but if you want to upgrade then the route you are looking at will help a great deal. The newer video cards do indeed blow the old GeForce4 series out of the water. ( As for which one is best ... better wait for one of our more current members to assist or look for some benchmark comparisons).
    Ok, gotcha, am looking forwad to any advice.

Boosting your RAM to 1GB would also help a little.
    Ok, will surely take that advice. Maybe do that as a last thing, but yes, thats a great idea.

Be aware that you may also need a new power supply to feed your sytem.
    Well, I want a new funky case so will be going with a new power supply too. I am hoping my old ASUS P4S8X motherboard will fit in a new case but I think they are all basicly 'standard' so I should be ok. But yes, will go for a new power supply. Anyone know what I would need?

The big thing to keep in mind is that most parts that you put into your system will prolly be of little use if you do decide to do a major upgrade in the next year or so.
    Too be honest, I haven't played a game on my PC for about a year now, but love TOCA Race Driver 2 and also UT2004. Not new games and so my proposed set up should handle it ok. I am not much into games and so will not be getting the newest titles hoping for a blindingly good eye candy experence. But yeah, UT2004 (IMO) looks good on my current system, so with an upgrade from a GeForce4-4200 to a GeForce 6600 or 6800 is something I would look forward to.
    At least if in a year I DO decide to get a great 64bit upgrade, then I only need to sell my new graphics card as I will have to get a new motherboard and CPU anyway... you know what I mean?

You can probably get your computer to handle almost any of todays games with a few upgrades but don't plan on playing the latest and greatest ones at top settings.

For comparisons sakes my system (in sig.) still can run anything that I've thrown at it at decent speeds. It sucks at most current benchmark programs and I do have to turn down some of the eye candy in a few games but for the most part it is still a capable gameing system in my eyes.
    Well Dawg, thats all I am hoping for - a capable gameing system in my eyes.

Your help has been great Dawg and your advice and sensible talk appreciated. By the way, I am in the UK, just thought would let you guys know for pricing wise.

well your right prairiedawg, sorry well about your system comfy if you do get the 6800 gt its a well put together card for AGP probably the best for AGP. Right now i have a x800xl for AGP and it can handle almost everything i throw at it. And the 6800 GT has gotten better Benmark scores than the X800xl so go with that card if you have the money. If you get a new powersupply from newegg you will want to get one with atleast 350 or more watt ratings.Upgrading too a 1 gig will be nice you will see a little diff in performance. Your processor will be fine for those games and also for the newer games such as BF2. SO mostly upgrading your VIdeo card and ram and you should be fine for acouple more months. You mobo should fit fine in anycase you throw at it unless you get a micro case when you have a regular size atx mother board.

One note that I just came across. Make sure your 12V on the power supply is at least 25a. I only looked at the wattage when I got my case and now I have to get a new one!!

Go with the 6800GS definitly. Its the best price/performance card you can get right now.

And by the way, Sound Blaster Live still ROCKS and IM ROCKIN ONE NOW!! Sound cards havent improved as dramaticaly as other computer parts.

Something else to think about. If your not a hardcore gamer, but like to play, you can upgrade your Mobo to PCI-E for less than 75 bucks. You would wast twice that on having to resell your GPU when you upgrade. I just bought an AMD board from ASROCK that supports SLI GPU's, Athalon 64, FX, and Dual core, along with SATA2 Hard drives and a lot of other features for $84. This leaves plenty of room for bad*ss improvements later. Just a thought.

Wow,
    Excellent replies guys, thanks to everyone.
    That 25amp thing is something to look out for jjordan27 - thanks.
    Thanks burton - thanks all! Much appreciated and a great help!

if your still looking at the forum, have a look at ati's new x1600, its not great but its better than a 6600 and good value. depends if you can get agp though.
    System Specs:
    AMD athlon 64 3200 venice @ 2.4ghz
    Asrock Dual-939SATA2
    Sapphire Radeon X800GTO2 chip r430 @ 480mhz core/540mhz mem with 1.6v vcore
    1gb Corsair XMS TwinX PC3200 timings 2-3-3-6 at 400mhz
    250gb Hitatchi deskstar T7K500 SATAII disk
    160gb samsung spinpoint PATA disk
    Asus 1608P2 DVD+/-RW Dual Layer
    Unbranded 500W PSU single 17A rail
    Innovatek and Asetek Watercooling (triple fan radiator)
    LOTS OF METAL

Thread Information