Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: External Video Cards

Default External Video Cards

Hi,

Is there such a thing as an 'External Video Card'? I know there are external sound cards. I have a game that don't work on laptops because of the video cards.

Thanks,
    Rachelle

Default Re: External Video Cards

Not that I've ever heard of. Main problem with this concept would be data transfer speeds.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Actually nVIDIA do make external graphics setups (AMD is also rumoured to be working on the same idea) but these are meant for CAD/CAM usage and require at least 1 physical 16x PCI-e slot (AMD's is likely to require the same to start with but will likely move to an external Hyper Transport Link connector).

As Darthtanion said, the problem is with the amount of data being transfered back and forth as well as the speeds it can be transfered at so I'd doubt that they'll ever make one for your current lappy.

Thumbs up Re: External Video Cards

LOL you bet there is. How much money do you have to spend ? $100K could get you a nice machine. The SGI Prism has up to 16 ATI FireGL GPUs and supports up to 3TB of memory.http://www.sgi.com/products/remarket...m/configs.html
    But Nvidia does have the Quadro® Plex 1000. They rage in price from $17,500 to $24,500 . http://www.nvidia.com/page/quadrople...son_chart.html
    The only limits to this type of hardware is money. You may notice they are all professional level. I have read that the future for graphics will be a seprate box but I believe that is still about 2-3 years away.

matrox has some device that may do what you want

It looks like ASUS just announced a solution for you.

Thread Information