Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: VGA to DVI

Default VGA to DVI

My current computer has this motherboard, ECS P4M890T-M2 LGA 775 MAINBOARD 800MHZ FSB, which has 64MB onboard video. It only has a VGA output to the monitor. Now I just got a 19" wide flat panel for Christmas that has the VGA connections and the newer DVI connections. Question--if I bought an inexpensive 64MB or 128MB video card (about $20 on E-Bay),that has the newer DVI connections, would I see any difference ? I am not into gaming or anything like that, but just want the sharpest picture I can get at a reasonable cost. Thanks in advance for your replies

2. Default Re: VGA to DVI

The difference would be so slight, that your eyes would not notice. I did a Google search recently because I had almost the same question. Besides, a $20 video card would not be worth it. Save up and get something good.

Default Re: VGA to DVI

I'm not sure where your Google search took you, but when I made the switch between analog and digital output, the quality of the screen display was much better, especially in 2D where you use Office-type applications. While graphics got an overall picture boost, the sharpness of text entered in documents and spreadsheets was much crisper and easier on the eyes.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

As much as I hate to disagree with Darth - I've switched back and forth between DVI and VGA & couldn't see a difference either

I suppose there are other factors to consider - the quality of the cable for the analog connection could make a difference

Maybe my eyes are more sensitive then most, but I've seen a noticeable difference between the two modes on the same display. May have something to do with the quality of the display too, but who knows.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Thread Information