Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: DVD video playback

Default DVD video playback

Ive downloaded all the knowen codecs to play dvd videos and movies on my pc but every time i watch them, there not as good quality as if i watched them on my tv that is 5 years old, with a cheap and crappy dvd player. The picture is either to dark or u can see the squares in some parts. eg. fast moving scenes... And these are propper dvds i bought in a shop

My pc specs are...
    AMD Athlon X2 64 4200+
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro-Sli
    800watt Power Supply
    Windows XP Pro x64
    2X1gb DDR RAM 3200 400mhz
    300gb SATA HDD
    16x DVD Drive/RAM
    2X Nvidia Geforce 7900GTO Sli

And its all displayed on a Goodmans 26" Flat screen with HD (model no. GTVL26W8HD)
    Its connected to my pc via a DVI-DVI cable..
    In the Nvidia control pannel ive set it to "Treat as HDTV" and its res is set to 1280 x 720.. But for some reason it wont allow me to set it to my tvs max res of 1366 x 768. (any ideas)
    So any help will be most welcome its been bugging me for ages..

Default Re: DVD video playback

It's your monitor. Your DVDs will look better on the CRT because your LCD HDTV will have a slow response time, relatively poor color fidelity, and a number of other possible problems depending on the specific screen. It certainly possible that your computer is contributing, though. I'd try hooking the regular DVD player up to the LCD to see how that looks.

Regarding the resolution, you have a 720p HDTV. This HD resolution standard calls for a 1280x720 resolution. While the monitor may support 1366x768, that is not an HD resolution, and you wouldn't be able to select it while the "Treat as HDTV" option is set, I'd presume. I don't recall encountering that when I last used an Nvidia card with an HDTV, though, so you may be doing something wrong. In any case, having the monitor at 1366x768 won't look any better than 1280x720 unless you're viewing 1080p content, which I'm sure you aren't.

Most notably, most DVDs are not 720p HD or better. You're probably viewing standard mpg4 content that would look just as good on a comparable non-HD TV.

Default Re: DVD video playback

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th View Post
    It's your monitor. Your DVDs will look better on the CRT because your LCD HDTV will have a slow response time, relatively poor color fidelity, and a number of other possible problems depending on the specific screen. It certainly possible that your computer is contributing, though. I'd try hooking the regular DVD player up to the LCD to see how that looks.
    But it has a onboard colour chip and a HDTV chip in the TV so shouldnt that help with the response time... And when i play video files that i download off the internet. Like tv programmes that are 1 hour long and have a file size of 350mb and a screen res of about 640x480 they look really good

Thread Information