Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: My Laptop and a HDTV

Default My Laptop and a HDTV

My GF has a HDTV and i want to connect my laptop to it.

The back of the TV has a DVI input, so i was thinking i could use that.

However, my laptop does not have such output. It is limited to a S-Video and a good ol' VGA output.

With this set up, i think the only available cable i can use is a VGA to DVI. Or a S-Video to S-Video (the HDTV has that too... i think).

Is it safe to assume i will be stuck at a low resolution no matter what i do?

Default Re: My Laptop and a HDTV

VGA output won't go to DVI input. DVI output can be converted to VGA input, but that's no useful in this case.

S-Video to S-Video will work as will an S-Video to RCA converter if the TV has component in, but your resolution will indeed be limited regardless.

Maybe a docking station with a DVI or HDMI output for your laptop would work .

No, there's not way to upscale VGA or S-Video output to HDTV standards. The only thing would be an ExpressCard to PCI-E adapter with a video card, and those don't exist yet, and that laptop doesn't have an ExpressCard port anyway.

Basically, he can't get HD output no matter what.

Adapters won't cut it here. I have never seen this kind of setup look good without hardware specifically made for that purpose. Even then I suspect the results would be disappointing. So however you hook it up is the best your going get. Although I did just get a DVD player with HDMI out and it does make standard definition DVDs look very very nice on a 52" projection HDTV.
    Through some sort of trickery it upscales to 720p. So maybe there is some hope.
    Last edited by twin; 03-09-2007 at 10:56 PM. Reason: add hope

Well, i found this for 299.00! http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1310

Thanks for the info, i was afraid of that.

But if i brought my PC over there, and hooked up DVI to DVI, i should be able to get a High Res image right?

Thread Information