Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Are Physics Cards worth it?

Default Are Physics Cards worth it?

I am planning to build my new Gaming Rig in a few months and i'm looking into the Physics Card idea. Does anyone here have one or is planning on getting one? Or what are your thoughts on them?

I was eying this one for price and general specs for $156.99...

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16814121015

I'm just looking for advice.

Default Re: Are Physics Cards worth it?

I think that the money you spend on that, you should use it on your video card because the physic card isn't used in many games right now so it would be a waste. The card has also been out for a while and games are still not supporting it.
    CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
    Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
    RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
    GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
    PSU: Thermaltake 500w
    SC: Audigy 2 zs
    LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
    Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
    Mouse: Logitech G5

Absolutely not worth it. They are going to dump physics to the extra cores on the CPU and forget all about those toys. A complete waste of cash that can be spent on video as Asianbatman says.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

I would have to disagree on the amount of games that aren't going to use it. Battlefield 2 and Company of Heroes, the two biggest games of last year have physics settings and show physics quite a bit in game.

Even Half Life 2 had a "physics gun" that would take sole control of the PPU card.

I even heard WorldofWarcraft (which i don't play) is going to introduce it with a new patch soon. My point is, physics, and water intregration with DX10 is going to make physics all the more meaningful.

I'm just playing the devils advocate here, i really have NO idea how much of an impact these PPU cards make. Just trying to keep the discussion alive, so don't bite my head off in response.

The only commercial solution out there is not supported in any of the games you just listed. Almost all current PC games have physics. I seriously doubt Blizzard is coming out with a WoW patch supporting Ageia, especially since Ageia doesn't list it.

The only noteworthy PhysX titles are CellFactor, UT 2007, and GRAW2, IMO. HL2 Episode 2, BF2/2142, Quake Wars, Crysis, SupCom, CoH, FEAR, C&C 3, and most other current and upcoming titles do not support PhysX and never will. Unreal Engine 2.0 supports it, and most Unreal-based games may use it, so this could be big. However, almost all upcoming major titles are multithreaded, as well as some big current ones (CoH and SupCom).

Additionally, AMD and nVidia both claim to have GPU-based phyics solutions in the works, with AMD supporting Havok-based engines, Havok being widely used in major titles and upcoming titles for physics. Even these solutions, however, will see little use as the move to quad-core will make physics calculations best done on the CPU.

i get that you're trying to play Devil's advocate, but I don't think you understand that Ageia PhysX is a proprietary solution requiring use of proprietary physics code that almost no one is using. It's not just an add-in card that automatically does the work like a sound card or video card.

imho - pump the extra money into a better video card

It seems to me, that if you have the most expensive/fastest graphics card, then on some games you might get a slight performance bump with the Physics card.

If you are like most gamers, you got a mid level card, so it might be a waste of money.

JMHO

I've never actually seen one of these cards in action, but it seems like if you have a decent processor and gpu nowadays, everything looks fantastic already.. although if you're that hardcore about your game, go for it.
    Case: Antec P180 ** PSU: Ultra-V 600W
    Main: EVGA 680i 122-CK-NF68**
    CPU: E6700 2.66GHz
    CPU cooling: Arctic Freezer 7 Pro ** RAM: 2GB Corsair XMS2
    GPU: BFG GTX 295..** Samsung 206bw LCD

i actually have a ageis physX card... and its only been recognized in two games i have ever played... even the demo disk it comes with has a little game with a cannon and a room full of barrels to blow up and fly around.... looks like barrels flying around the same on my regular video card... for clarification my hard drive just burnt up and while replacing it i removed the card... it is now a paperweight... and it saved me the trouble of finding the drivers again

Thread Information