Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Audio Problem leading to computer crashing!

Default Audio Problem leading to computer crashing!

Hello all,

Several months ago I invested in a Packard Bell desk top computer and to date have made no system changes.

The problem is regarding the on board sound (with up to date RealTek Audio drivers), my keyboard and a game called Tom Clancy's Raven Shield.

when the computer loads up the desktop and I attempt to adjust the sound via the keyboard hot key, the green bar notches displayed on the monitor refuse to increase/decrease. The computer appears to have crashed in that it doesn't let me click anything but the mouse does move! Leaving me with little alternative but to manually reboot.

When I load up the aforementioned game, it appears to be fine, but again the mouse moves and I cannot click on anything! Bizarrely it refuses to accept any keyboard command so I am unable to close it down (again leading to an inevitable reboot).

I uninstalled the game with the belief I must have corrupted it in some way. However when reinstalling all goes smoothly until it attempts to transfer audio files to my hard drive. The installation subsequently fails :(

This has led me to believe the problem is definitely audio related. I suspect a malicious virus of some kind but a recent purchase of Norton Internet Security 2007 hasn't solved the problem!!

Other than an unwanted time consuming reformat of 2 hard drives, is there anything I can do?

Any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Gavin

Default Re: Audio Problem leading to computer crashing!

first I'd do is uninstall Nortan internet security, since unless its a lot better than it used to be - its a piece of crap.

I uninstalled the game with the belief I must have corrupted it in some way. However when reinstalling all goes smoothly until it attempts to transfer audio files to my hard drive. The installation subsequently fails :(
    this has nothing to do with audio drivers, either your cd, cdrom, or HD have some serious problems

so do a scandisk on your HD.

personally for internet security I use "smoothwall" as my main firewall (this works like a dedicated hardware firewall - requires an old PC to run on thou), avast (other people prefer avg) for my antivirus and run windows defender. (note these are all free)

avast does a "dos" scan of you drives when you install it - its very good at picking up virus's.

Note: Antivirus software will not pick up spyware/adware (usually) so you need things like windows defender, and a couple of others since antispyware software is not at the same level as antivirus, ie most antivurs software will pickup 99.9% of virus's where windowsdefender gets about 70%, so you'll need a couple of them installed. Windowsdefender seems to do a really god job of stopping spyware getting in, not as good at removing it later.
    Last edited by Kheldar; 03-30-2007 at 08:26 AM. Reason: didn't finish

Default Re: Audio Problem leading to computer crashing!

Ad-Aware for spyware. Defender blows IMHO. AVG is good, though I use Symantec corp. Programs can't prevent operator error, however.

In any case, agreed @ NIS. Norton sucks, period. Never, ever, ever install consumer versions of Symantec problems.

As for the installation, Kheldar is right. It not installing correctly indicates a medium problem, probably with the installation disc. The fact that it's audio files has absolutely nothing to do with your system's audio drivers.
    Last edited by Yawgm0th; 03-31-2007 at 02:26 PM.

Thread Information