Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Whats better Laptop graphics? (ATI Mobility Radeon x1700 or a Geforce Go 7400)

Default Whats better Laptop graphics? (ATI Mobility Radeon x1700 or a Geforce Go 7400)

The laptop will be used for as much gaming as I can squeeze in a $1500 system or less.

If anyone knows where I can find a good deal please feel free to post links......

Default Re: Whats better Laptop graphics? (ATI Mobility Radeon x1700 or a Geforce Go 7400)

X1700 is significantly better. For $1500, though, I'd imagine you could get a higher-end card than that.

Find a Dell coupon online and go to Dell. Always Dell. Well, almost...

Default Re: Whats better Laptop graphics? (ATI Mobility Radeon x1700 or a Geforce Go 7400)

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th View Post
    X1700 is significantly better. For $1500, though, I'd imagine you could get a higher-end card than that.

Find a Dell coupon online and go to Dell. Always Dell. Well, almost...
    I hope its better than the X1600 becuase that chip is not nearly what I expected in my current Acer system that I'm selling tomorrow.

I'm getting close to what I paid for it last Summer so I'm going to get a little better video chip and an Intel Core 2 Dou CPU instead of an Intel Core CPU this time around.

Is Dell really that good of a deal? I remember searching for Dell coupons before I bought this system and still found better buys on Newegg at the time. It seemed like once they gave you break on something they'ed raise the bar on something else.

The system is sold so I think I'll get this Asus laptop from Newegg. Looks like it has the best hardware for the price atleast for now but the screen resolution isn't that great. What do you guys think?

ASUS F3 Series F3JP-AP035C-A NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo T7200(2.00GHz) 15.4" Wide XGA 1GB DDR2 667 120GB 5400rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon X1700 - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834220142

Dell just makes higher quality laptops. You might be able to get an equal-spec third-tier laptop from a reseller like Newegg, but don't expect it to last as long as a Dell or have the same battery life, weight, thermals, etc. Dell laptops are really easy to service and maintain yourself, and with the right coupons, I'll bet you can beat any reseller's price on a similar laptop or any other laptops from the major OEMs. I've ended up buying/recommending laptops a dozen times or so over the last few years (meaning everything from early Pentium M/A64 Mobile days to C2D/dual-core Turion) and each time I'd research options from Gateway/Emachines, IBM/Lenovo, Toshiba, HP/Compaq, and third-tier manufacturers such as Asus and Acer. Every time, the price of the internal hardware, rated overall quality, warranty and service options, battery life, weight, footprint, and anything else you can think of has pointed to Dell as the best overall.

Now I haven't looked lately too much lately, but I just configured a Dell e1705 for about $1350 on the web site using a coupon code I found through Google. It had the same RAM/CPU/hard drive as that laptop and the larger Dell battery (should provide 4+ hours of battery life, depending on how you use it) but a 7900 GS instead of an X1700. Trust me, a 7900GS and the larger 17'' screen is a huge improvement over that Asus.

Besides, I had the ability to adjust things like the CPU, RAM and hard drive. You'd be better of with a slower CPU, more RAM, and a faster hard drive, which you could still do for around the same price.

Maybe there's something at Newegg or a similar reseller that can match Dell's specs with price, but I really doubt it.

[/dell advertisement off]

Of course, if you actually want a smaller screen with a better graphics card, then Dell probably doesn't have anything to offer you. Dell tends to stick with mid-range/entry-level video cards on the smaller screens, while reserving high-end cards for XPS series and the 17'' Inspiron lines. Personally, I love the larger, widescreen LCDs offering 1440x900+ resolutions. I've been using my 9300 for a couple years now and I still love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th View Post
    Dell just makes higher quality laptops. You might be able to get an equal-spec third-tier laptop from a reseller like Newegg, but don't expect it to last as long as a Dell or have the same battery life, weight, thermals, etc. Dell laptops are really easy to service and maintain yourself, and with the right coupons, I'll bet you can beat any reseller's price on a similar laptop or any other laptops from the major OEMs. I've ended up buying/recommending laptops a dozen times or so over the last few years (meaning everything from early Pentium M/A64 Mobile days to C2D/dual-core Turion) and each time I'd research options from Gateway/Emachines, IBM/Lenovo, Toshiba, HP/Compaq, and third-tier manufacturers such as Asus and Acer. Every time, the price of the internal hardware, rated overall quality, warranty and service options, battery life, weight, footprint, and anything else you can think of has pointed to Dell as the best overall.

Now I haven't looked lately too much lately, but I just configured a Dell e1705 for about $1350 on the web site using a coupon code I found through Google. It had the same RAM/CPU/hard drive as that laptop and the larger Dell battery (should provide 4+ hours of battery life, depending on how you use it) but a 7900 GS instead of an X1700. Trust me, a 7900GS and the larger 17'' screen is a huge improvement over that Asus.

Besides, I had the ability to adjust things like the CPU, RAM and hard drive. You'd be better of with a slower CPU, more RAM, and a faster hard drive, which you could still do for around the same price.

Maybe there's something at Newegg or a similar reseller that can match Dell's specs with price, but I really doubt it.

[/dell advertisement off]

Of course, if you actually want a smaller screen with a better graphics card, then Dell probably doesn't have anything to offer you. Dell tends to stick with mid-range/entry-level video cards on the smaller screens, while reserving high-end cards for XPS series and the 17'' Inspiron lines. Personally, I love the larger, widescreen LCDs offering 1440x900+ resolutions. I've been using my 9300 for a couple years now and I still love it.
    Thanks for the info and research. Was that coupon for $450 off or did you find a better one than that?

Thread Information