Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Napster no more, for real this time

Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Never really cared for Napster myself, WinMX has a new version out though ;)
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

I used to use it everyday, Audio Galaxy is just as good though. :)
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Napster was and IMO has not been dethroned in the 'mass downloading' capabbility.

I being a twenty somthing who didn't live through the 70's, 60's etc, found it hard to find large amounts of music from that time. (not knowing what to look for) What I found with Napster was that people had sorted their music into 'Classic Rock' and 'Oldies' folders WHICH just happen to appear in their Hot Lists. So I would type in 'Oldies' for example. I would highlight the first 30 responses with the best bandwidth potential and download them all.

Then I'd give it a few seconds and check to see if anyone on that list was transfering to me over 50 K/sec. When I'd find one, I'd add him to my 'Hot List' and then I'd look at everything he had shared. Since I knew he had a beefy connection, I would grab anything I thought I might want. If I found someone with transfer potential around 200 K/sec, I might download every song he had, and since the 'Hot List' feature was sortable by HIS local directories, i could sort his hot list into order by the directories he had made and sorted, and I wouldn't get anything I didn't want. I would set this up before I went to bed (2 AM) and most likely he wasn't sitting at his computer, and it wouldn't cause him any delay.

It wasn't uncommon to get 200 songs from a single user, or 400-600 songs a night

Nothing has beat that to date for purely massive amounts of genre-specific music. A few days after Beatles - One came out I got the entire albumn from a guy in 4 minutes. (128kbps quality)

After Napster became public knowledge, loads of modemers with 19 songs started flooding Napster, and things started downhill fast. Search results were filled with slow bandwidth people pretending to be high bandwidth, and high bandwithers were hiding as 56K'ers. Prior to Metallica, Napster was 90% high bandwidth in my estimation, and those were truely the glory days... Oh how I wish I could send a 160 gig HD back in time... :(

Kazaa IMO has its own advantages. As I explained in the Kazaa thread, I am able to find much more content from someone such as Elvis, for my dad. EVERYONE had 4 or 5 of the same Elvis songs, but Kazaa lets me specify by album, AND with its feature to condense Identicle songs (and resume from Different usesrs with that song) It makes getting every remotely-popular Elvis song a breeze.

Anyone know how many CD's the average Jukebox can hold? I really wanna figure out how many jukeboxes my computer is.. hahaha :P :D

Napster i think was a work of art...except for the last versions of the free software. I used it every single day!....Now i use Grokster which is like the old form of Morpheus and Audio Galaxy. Both i think have spywasre if i'm not mistaken. I got a to change some reg files and somehow stop the spyware on Grokster. They show you how at http://www.project-insomnia.com/grokster.html
    - Damien

I agree with zeradul, it wasnt uncommon for me to get a song from napster in less than 10 seconds..sometimes even 5 seconds:eek: but with kazaa or the old morpheus, it would take ages. max download speeds would be around 80-100kb/sec. but with napster it was a few hundred kb/sec:( (btw, this is when i was at dads in melbourne...he has optus cable:D i have dial up:cry: )
    Madness is the gift that has been given to me!

*Slaps Ollie, Beffy and Mouse with The Creators lifeless carcuss.....then ties up Morgan lander and forces him to listen to ****ty pop music for hours..bwahaha

Flaco, Just use Kazaa Lite...

www.kazaalite.tk

Kazza Lite suppose to be a anti-spyware version?...a million pop ups tho :p . thx for the reference....
    - Damien

Quote Originally Posted by Flaco
    Kazza Lite suppose to be a anti-spyware version?
    yep:thumb:
    Madness is the gift that has been given to me!

*Slaps Ollie, Beffy and Mouse with The Creators lifeless carcuss.....then ties up Morgan lander and forces him to listen to ****ty pop music for hours..bwahaha

Thread Information