Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Which X-Fi to get?

Default Which X-Fi to get?

I don't do any gaming but listen to a lot of music and like great quality sound. What would be my best bet?
    Windows 7 Professional
    (2)-ASUS VS248H-P Black 24" Monitor
    CORSAIR Hydro Series H60 (CWCH60) Liquid CPU Cooler
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    Kingston Hyper X Blu 16GB
    Intel Xeon E3-1245 V2 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Server Processor
    High Current Pro HCP-750 750W TX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS GOLD
    SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256B/WW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive
    3 -2TB Western Digital Black HDD
    Rosewill RDCR-11003 74-in-1 USB3.0 3.5 Internal Card Reader
    1 Asus Blu Ray Burner
    1 Plextor DVD Burner

Default Re: Which X-Fi to get?

What about these.

HT Omega CLARO Sound Cards
    View Pic

Rating + 5Rating + 5Rating + 5Rating + 5Rating + 5 [39]

HT OMEGA CLARO 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail

* Audio Chipset: C-Media CMI8788
    * Digital Audio: 24-bit
    * Hardware Decode: Dolby Digital, DTS
    * Line In: Yes
    * Model #: CLARO
    * Item #: N82E16829271002

HT Omega CLARO Plus+ Sound Cards
    View Pic

Rating + 5Rating + 5Rating + 5Rating + 5Rating + 5 [25]

HT OMEGA CLARO Plus+ 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail

* Model #: CLARO Plus+
    * Item #: N82E16829271003

ASUS 90-YAA021-1UAN00+ Sound Cards
    View Pic

Rating + 4Rating + 4Rating + 4Rating + 4Rating + 4 [11]

ASUS Xonar D2 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Ultra Fidelity Sound Card with Complete Dolby/DTS Sound Technologies - Retail

* Audio Chipset: ASUS AV200
    * Model #: 90-YAA021-1UAN00+
    * Item #: N82E16829132001

Auzentech XPlosion 7.1 Sound Cards
    View Pic

Rating + 4Rating + 4Rating + 4Rating + 4Rating + 4 [118]

AuzenTech XPlosion 7.1 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail

* Audio Chipset: C-Media CMI8770
    * CD/Aux In: No
    * Features: World First Dolby Digital Live and DTS Connect certified PCI board sound card! Converts any of your movies, games, music audio into a Dolby Digital or DTS Surround Sound! Stereo is boring, surround sound is fun! DTS Connect makes it easy to turn your computer into the ultimate PC sound entertainment
    * Model #: XPlosion 7.1
    * Item #: N82E16829156001

Auzentech AZT-XM71 Sound Cards
    View Pic

Rating + 4Rating + 4Rating + 4Rating + 4Rating + 4 [49]

AuzenTech AZT-XM71 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Auzen X-Meridian 7.1 Sound Card - Retail

* Model #: AZT-XM71
    * Item #: N82E16829156002

* O
    Windows 7 Professional
    (2)-ASUS VS248H-P Black 24" Monitor
    CORSAIR Hydro Series H60 (CWCH60) Liquid CPU Cooler
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    Kingston Hyper X Blu 16GB
    Intel Xeon E3-1245 V2 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Server Processor
    High Current Pro HCP-750 750W TX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS GOLD
    SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256B/WW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive
    3 -2TB Western Digital Black HDD
    Rosewill RDCR-11003 74-in-1 USB3.0 3.5 Internal Card Reader
    1 Asus Blu Ray Burner
    1 Plextor DVD Burner

Auzentech X-FI Prelude is the ONLY X-FI to even think about. Creative made cards suck. Period.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

The sound quality is limited by your speakers and many many factors. If you have "White Van Speakers," [Wikipedia] your sound quality will suck. On the other end of the scale, buying the best speakers you can find is also unwise, since the sound quality would be limited anyway by your Sound Card. You should strike a balance within the two.

If you want pure sound, fine, get those speakers with optical in (Like the ones used in "The Slayer") and a sound card with optical out. This ensures interference wont set in the wires (wires act like antennas) since the optical line is nonconductive.

If you hear a low "bzzzzzzz" from your amplified speakers when unplugged from your PC, now that's a sample of interference, probably since the DC voltage has ripple in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aguiluz View Post
    The sound quality is limited by your speakers and many many factors. If you have "White Van Speakers," [Wikipedia] your sound quality will suck. On the other end of the scale, buying the best speakers you can find is also unwise, since the sound quality would be limited anyway by your Sound Card. ...
    Seeing that his sig states,"Altec Lansing ADA995 5.1 THX" speakers, I think that we can pass on that bit. ;)

I just finished testing the Azuntech x-fi Prelude for tweaktown and its a solid card without all the bloatware creative packs in yet retaining all the key features.
    cheers
    James Vozar
    TweakTown.com

hi i am running the prelude 7.1 card also i have to say what a great card this one is..after having so many problems with the creative labs version x-fi for extreme music i went to this card because of me being bent on that x-fi chip...however i'm running analog sound which is best on a pair speakers called klipsch promedia 5.1 ultra edition...trust me when i tell you my house shakes when i play battlezone.2.. also music play back is way more clearer than usual. remember this card is pushing 120d of
    signal to noise ratio on the front rear center and sub. the cool part about this card is that you can change the opamp which even increases the sound quality, i of course, i am a sound freak and everthing needs to be really clear even on movies i bought there top of the line opamp...but hey thats just me...after waiting for so long to run vista 64bit i can finally say that i have a card that works very well with the drivers from there site... creative may have gotten some of my money, but guess what i walked out with a way better sound card long live auzentech....with drivers that work.....i can finally run my system the way it is meant too be......

oh i forgot to mention any sound card that you buy and a company that cripples there drivers, and forces you too upgrade because they want more money in my opinion is not worthy of a customer buying another product from them again!!!!!!!!!! it is not far......read about it it is there all over the net......

Actually they should be offering better hardware/software/backup all round to get people to update instead of offering less for more.
    Last edited by wayout44; 05-10-2008 at 04:04 PM.

Well, I have only used Creative sound cards.

My first was the Audagy 2ZS which was a great card, and got a couple of good years of use with it before I switched to a X-FI Fatal1ty card.

I love the Fatal1ty X-FI, especially for gaming, but I do a lot of music with it, and I like that it is easy to switch modes.

I run XP, and I updated my drivers about 2 months ago after running the card for 2 years now.

Works f-ing great.

I got the Fatal1ty version, because it comes with X-RAM which gives it a performance boost for gaming - but I haven't been able to confirm this.

I also got the Fatal1ty version with the front panel, which is great but I wish it amplified the output so I would really crank up the headphones!!

Now heard there is going to be a new Fatal1ty X-FI for PCI-E, and it will get a new front panel with amplified sound, so I am looking forward to up-grading to that one.

I did install a Auzentech X-Fi card in a friends machine with Vista, and it worked well, but I thought it was missing some of the little software features of the Creative X-FI, and I thought the default bass responce was a little better for the Fatal1ty X-FI then the Auzentech.

JMHO

Thread Information