Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Need video card that works with a surveillance system card...

Default Need video card that works with a surveillance system card...

My system:
    MOBO: Intel® Desktop Board DG965WH
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 6400@2.13ghz
    RAM: 1g

Currently using the onboard graphics and running Windows XP.
    Website to my mobo:
    http://www.intel.com/products/mother...65WH/index.htm

What I want:
    Want to do some basic gaming... currently use Photoshop, Flash, Dreamweaver, Quickbooks constintly. Want to stay under $100, at best buy (have $50 gift cert)

I would ALSO like to add this card later-on (couple months)
    http://www.cctv-security-cameras.com...ss-p-1576.html

So, in this PC, i'd like to have the 2 video cards with 2 monitors (1 for each)... The new card to play a few basic games on and help with the photoshop and flash apps... and the other for my surveillance system.

1. Is this possible and
    2. what card do you recomend? I was thinking the XFX - Fatal1ty GeForce 8500 GT

Thanks all!

Default Re: Need video card that works with a surveillance system card...

I dont know about the other components, but if you are going to record videos at 480 FPS, I suggest you get a high speed RAID 0 array.

Considering the alternatives, A Hard Drive Recorder, a small tv and a camera like THESE *might* be a lot cheaper.

I already have a 4 camera DVR system, it's nothing compared to this system. Would I be better off just to make a PC dedicated to the new camera system and keep my regular PC seperate?

(what are you securing may I ask? [joke] Weaponized Uranium Ore? [/joke])

Anyway, back to the subject, recording at four cameras at 60 FPS at a resolution of 640x480 (VGA) will need a large hard drive, and assuming that the bitrate of the video is 512 kbps constant (correct me if I am wrong, I estimated it), that's 30.7 MB per minute, 1.84 GB an hour and a ma-hoo-sive 44.23 Gigabytes per day and since you have four cameras, multiply it by four and you will have to deal with 176-177 gigabytes a day!

And since I estimated the bitrate (It could be larger than what I think), you will be in a heap of trouble if the bitrate is indeed larger. You know, consuming disk space so fast.

So, if you are going to be "economical" and try a setup of 640x480 at 1 FPS - I see the school cams go that way anyway - you would get an estimated bitrate of... say 128 kbps. You will get 11 GB at the end of the day.

Looking at the raw numbers of doing that, you might be considering a dedicated machine.

P.S: Sorry for the rant... I just can't do anything. Bored...

EDIT: Ooopsy, I forgot that's 11 GB x 4 cams = 44 GB a day
    Last edited by Aguiluz; 01-02-2008 at 11:18 AM.

Nice math Aguiluz. Only one problem .... the security system that we use at work only records movement. With 8 cameras and a 200GB HD we were able to record approx 2 months of activity. (We have since gone to more cameras and a larger storage system. ) The amount of activity would change these numbers but it is seldom (read never) that activity on all/any cameras is constant.

Personally I would avoid installing anything but the security system on a security computer. The more stuff you have on a PC the more the odds are of a problem ... especially if the thing is connected to the WWW. If the system is online you will (of course) need a good firewall and antivirus program. Everything you add to that tends to open up the system to added vulnerabilities. I guess it depends on how serious you are about your security.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

176-177 GB is the worst scenario that could happen though. Forgot that you can drop same frames to cut down the size.

Agreed with PrairieDawg, you should be considering a dedicated PC since the vulnerability of added apps and the hax0rs of the WWW, and you need to stash the system anyway in a un-suspicious spot - not advertising it's presence, heck, even bolt it down, armor it up and physically secure it so it cannot be moved.

Boy, If you ARE guarding Weaponized Uranium Ore, I don't want to be near it. Reminds me of the movie "Hiroshima" on discovery channel.
    Last edited by Aguiluz; 01-01-2008 at 10:17 AM.

16 cameras actualy, and Prarie has it correct, only recording with movement.
    I see your take on the security for camera PC, and thats what i'll do, dedicate that PC.

So on to question 2, what video card do you all recommend?

Thanks again!

Unless you want to play a game on it - which is not a task for a security PC - you will only need the built in GFX card on the mobo itself. "Integrated Graphics" as it is called.

no, i'm referring to the regular work pc, not the security pc. :)

Ohhh... A 8500 GT will suffice for basic games , photoshopping and flash apps (like Hell of Sand). But, don't play Crysis (?) on it - it will blow up.

I used a really, really, really, really outdated Radeon 9550 back then. Photoshop's fine. Really. (see the Recyklacooler on my sig)

Thread Information