Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: stop responding problem

Default Re: stop responding problem

Oh, forgot to mention the good old "Driver Store" issues with Vista and updating drivers as well. Put's the damn things in a protected status and are unable to update...had some real horror stories there! As near as I can figure from the reams of type I've read, when MS updates it's default drivers, they are written to the "Driver Store" and used as the default when you add a new piece of hardware. I was wondering why Vista detected the 260/16 right off and installed a "NVIDIA" driver, when I had cleaned all NVIDIA drivers off my system. I surmise windows reads the ID string from the hardware and uses the best match from the driver store to get it operational. Unfortunately if the new driver you install isn't written well, you end up with a mix of driver library files. Some antivirus (symantec) programs will interfere with NVIDIA driver installation as well. Remember all the fine print warnings to disable anti=virus software when installing?
    NADEON
    Vista Ultimate 64
    GA-EP45-UD3P V1.1 F9l BIOS
    G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB sticks) (PC2 8500) @ 1069
    C2D E8500 @ 3.6 OC (Outer Marker Settings)
    Scythe Ninja CPU Cooler
    6+ TBytes WD and Seagate Drives (HD Movies!)
    LG BD ROM Multi Drive
    SAPPHIRE Toxic Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5
    RAIDMAX Quantum RX700 PSU
    ENERMAX Chakra Full Tower (Room like a 57 Chevy!)

Quote Originally Posted by Nadeon View Post
    No need to flame...actually the default driver for windows used a similar library file that was not updated from windows update (vista) causing the exact same scenario in the early months of Vista (a hotfix took care of this and was eventually corrected). As far as I am aware there were no similar issues with ATI cards. This is my first ATI in many years, all NVIDIA prior to this. Personally I've pretty much had it with NVIDIA lately. This 4890 replaced a 3 month old 260/16 that gave awful rendition in Blu-Ray movies and fast motion sequences. I wish I had kept my aging 8800GTX, it did far better with less! Don't get me wrong, NVIDIA are awesome cards for gaming, and their drivers are tweaked and optimized for many games (Far Cry etc). But as I get older, I am gaming less and using my rig more for HTPC applications.
    But on the other hand, Windows 7 seems to be smoothe as silk with the initial NVIDIA drivers. I'll have to reserve judgement until it's released though.
    I've used various driver cleaner programs with varying degrees of success. Running REGEDIT and doing a search usually shows quite a bit is left behind even after using a cleaner program. But hey, they do beat the hell out of a 2 day reformat/reinstall and the activation headaches!
    I wish you luck with your issues. Hopefully the ATI card has solved it for you.
    Sorry Dude, I didnt mean to come across agresive like. I was just simply sayin that for your instance it has fixed you "very annoying" problem and in mine it didnt. I appologise and will edit my comment if you like. Please do not take offence to anything I say. As mentioned I dont use the 8800GT for gaming much anymore its back in my Daily driver and my "gaming" rig has the HD4850 which is a very nice card. Ive always had NVIDIA and this ATI is my first but wont be my last. Ill get a HD4890X2 or something oneday when they come out if they do. Yeah the 2 day (as in 48 straight hours) of reformatting and installing everything again is painful. But I am preparing myself for when Windows 7 Hits the retail market for that is what will have to happen. I upgraded my Vista 32bit machine to RC1 and its not very good compared to my X64 Fresh install build 7000 so yeah.
    Lian Li PC-7F Chassis Black
    Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 MB (Rev. 1.1 BIOS v.F8c)
    Gigabyte ODIN GT 800Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Quad Q9550 E0 @ 3.4Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
    G.Skill 2X2GB F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
    2 X ATI Radeon HD4850 512MB (Crossfired)
    Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA IPS
    2 X 1TB Seagate 7200.11 in RAID 1
    Pioneer DVR216 SATA DVD MultiDrive
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RC1 (Build 7232)
    ------------------------------------------------
    Gigabyte Poseidon Chassis
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 (Rev. 1.0 BIOS v.F9)
    ASUS Artic Square CPU Cooling with AS5
    Thermaltake TR2 RX 550Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Duo E8500 E0 @ 3.8Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Corsair 2 X 2Gb XMS2 PC6400C5 DDR2
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB
    1 X Seagate 1TB 7200.12 + Seagate 750GB 7211.11
    Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive

Also If you google it which i have extensivly you will come across ATI have a similar issue, with there ATIbla bla driver crapping out. So its just a matter of individual computers, mine was either a hardware issue, or incompatability. Seems to work fine in my dell however I havent had an extended gaming session on it so IDK.
    Lian Li PC-7F Chassis Black
    Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 MB (Rev. 1.1 BIOS v.F8c)
    Gigabyte ODIN GT 800Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Quad Q9550 E0 @ 3.4Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
    G.Skill 2X2GB F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
    2 X ATI Radeon HD4850 512MB (Crossfired)
    Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA IPS
    2 X 1TB Seagate 7200.11 in RAID 1
    Pioneer DVR216 SATA DVD MultiDrive
    Gigabyte Poseidon Chassis
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 (Rev. 1.0 BIOS v.F9)
    ASUS Artic Square CPU Cooling with AS5
    Thermaltake TR2 RX 550Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Duo E8500 E0 @ 3.8Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Corsair 2 X 2Gb XMS2 PC6400C5 DDR2
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB
    1 X Seagate 1TB 7200.12 + Seagate 750GB 7211.11
    Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information