Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Monitor loses the signal during boot up

Ronb is offline Member

Default Monitor loses the signal during boot up

High folks i just joined and thought i'd put this question out here. i had a new pc assembled and ever since i've had this issue with my Viewsonic LCD monitor(VX2025WM). I have the monitor connected to a XFX GeForce 8600GT video card with a DVI cable. Motherboard is a GA-P35C-DS3R. When i boot the PC I will see the bios and other screens from the mobo. it's not until I get to the part where i see 'Microsoft Corporation' and the activity bar that the screen goes blank and i see 'No Signal'. If i unplug the DVI cable and plug it in again i get video fine. If i use VGA no problem. It's only with DVI that this happens and it's annoying. I'm running Vista Home Premium. I've tried everything! i've tried variations of the DVI cable, nothing solves this. The resolution for the monitor is 1680 X 1054. I can only go to 1024 X 768 in the control panel.

Has anyone ever heard of this before? What can i do to fix this issue. I've talked to XFX and they're willing to issue an RMA on the card and test it but i doubt it's the card. i've sent in an issue to Viewsonic but i think they fell off the earth. That leads me to here where i'm willing to bet i get the right answers.

Any help will be appreciated.

Default Re: Monitor loses the signal during boot up

ok I doubt this is hardware - sounds more like the graphics driver - when it loads its automatically swapping to the VGA.

try upgrading / downgrading the video card driver

are you using the XFX drivers or nvidia ones?

Ronb is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kheldar View Post
    ok I doubt this is hardware - sounds more like the graphics driver - when it loads its automatically swapping to the VGA.

try upgrading / downgrading the video card driver

are you using the XFX drivers or nvidia ones?
    I'm not sure. i used the ones from XFX so i guess it's XFX

Ronb is offline Member

after looking at the drivers i see i'm using the nVidia driver. that came from the XFX site. how can i upgrade / Dwongrade the drivers? i've reinstalled them a few times and no luck

Go to nVidia.com and grab the newest drivers for your card. See if that helps.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Ronb is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDawg View Post
    Go to nVidia.com and grab the newest drivers for your card. See if that helps.
    i did that and no difference. i'm not sure what else to do.

I have nearly the same issue with my machine, only with slight diffrences.

I have Vista Business, and a EVGA Geforce 7800GT.

The thing about my issue might be true for you as well... My screen doesn't black out when running safe mode. Which pretty much says that it's not the card, it's the drivers.

See, I happen to have two PCI-E slots on my motherboard, and Attempting two utilize the second one, thinking it may very well be a blown bus, it did not "no signal" me. it loaded up just fine... that is until it installed the drivers and restarted. After that we are back to square one...

I kept trying to reinstal/upgrade/downgrade the nVidia drivers. and nothing has worked so far...

The only thing I think I did before everything went haywire was install SP1

Did you happen to make any major update to Vista before this happend?

Thread Information