Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 9600GT Problem (PCI-E Link @ x1)

Exclamation 9600GT Problem (PCI-E Link @ x1)

Hi all.

I'm having a problem with my PCI-E link been at 8x or lower when its a full 16x board supposedly (not SLI) :(
    Its a Palit 9600GT 512mb with a Core/Shader/Mem of 650/1625/950(1900 effective).

My pci-e link speed sometimes fluctuates too, not while i'm using it, but after a reboot or two it changes.

It might be all well and good at 16x at some time, then it will drop to 8x and a popular one at the moment is 1x.
    Obviously the performace difference between 8x and 16x is negligible if at all noticeable even on these more recent cards.
    However, 1x as you can imagine is crippling, my framerates literally drop to under 50%.

Another thing that happens is my motherboard sometimes (not all the time, maybe every few attempts) emits a series of bleeps when I try to start up the system.
    My motherboard is an 'MSI K9N Neo V3'. It therefore uses an AMI bios. I have located a site where I could reference the bleep codes and it (one short followed by 8)
    points to a 'Cannot write to frame-buffer' problem. From what i've looked at this either means a graphics card problem (damn, got it of ebay), or the motherboard.
    The latter I can send back as its not the best board anyway. Oh, also there was nothing on the screen during the bleeps, probably an obvious fact as it wasn't post-ing at all.

I'm wondering if its got anything to do with the fact that the card is PCI-E 2.0 and the board is natively PCI-E 1.0. I know the cards and backwards compatible,
    but all the same, the mainboard might have compatibility issues that I'm not aware of. I tried replacing RAM (OCZ DDR-800 platinum rev. 2) just out of curiosity but no fix there.
    I then tried the graphics card in a friends Intel mainboard (775i65gz I believe) which is also just a PCI-E 1.0 board, but it boots up with no problems at all.
    Also the PCI-E 16x bus works at the full 16x link speed. So I keep saying to myself that it cannot be the graphics card, even though those bios bleeps are very convincing.

I have yet to change PSU although it should be quite sufficient giving out 30amps across the 12v rail and having a rating of 550w. As the 9600GT geberally speaking needs a min of 26 this should be fine.
    I'll try this anyway.

To summarize then, and make it a bit easier to comprehend...
    ...What I have tried all with no avail:

- Flashed the bios to latest release
    - Re-flashed the bios to an earlier release (yeah, lol)
    - Cleared the cmos more times than I can remember
    - Changed bios settings...that should do for the bios...

- Reseated graphics card and other components like RAM
    - Swapped PSU's own PCI-E power cable for a molex-to-6pin PCI-E converter
    - Re-installed VGA drivers fully and cleanly including nforce drivers, well I put WinXP back on again fresh, so this aint the problem
    - Looked on the 9600GT card for any obvious signs of defent (missing/damaged components, lent over capacitors, broken off resistors etc)

All that and still no luck.
    The only thing that did give me the slightest bit of hope was when I used the friends rig to test the card, in which case the PC booted perfectly, and the link speed remained at 16x after several re-boots.
    The PSU wierdly enough is the same as the one I have in my machine, rated at 550W and 30amps on the 12v rail to name a couple of specs.

So i'm thinking after all this that the most likely cause is a dodgy motherboard, at least dodgy in a compatibility-sense with the whole PCI-E 2.0 thing.
    I was reading the specs of the PCI-Express 2.0 standard, and it seems that it supports a new features known as 'dynamic link scaling', intelligently adjusting the bus width depending on work load I guess.
    However I'm not sure whether this will even take effect without a PCI-Express 2.0 motherboard, or with current drivers/BIOS revisions etc.
    But could this be the graphics card not negotiating with the system bus properly and then giving the dodgy bleeps and knocking the link speed down to 8x or 1x?
    I will see if the bleeps coincide with the changes in link speed to make doubly sure.

As you can see, I usually type a lot, lol. No stranger to PC's here or modding/enthusiast activities, but this one is a mystery, and a nightmare too!
    I have a 'Gigabyte GA-770-DS3' on the way for next week, which natively supports the new PCI-E standard or v2, so i'll see if that makes any difference. Should be more 'compatible' surely, and if you ask me Gigabyte rock lol.

It should be like this example (a x16 slot running at the proper x16 link speed) as you'll know:

Anyone? Help would be very much appreciated. Topics on the matter seem very scare at present.

~Phoenix

Default Re: 9600GT Problem (PCI-E Link @ x1)

bump?

Sorry, missed this one somehow when it posted...

My first suggestion was going to be to try the board in a friend's machine, since you have done so and it works fine, then the likely candiate is going to be the mainboard. From the sounds of things, you have a broken solder tracing somewhere between the PCI-E slot and the chipset. I will point out, however, that your current power supply may be getting close to the point where it won't power your system, depending on how many other peripherals, fans and components you have installed in your current build. If you begin having stability issues (when you get the system running properly of course), then this would be the first place I looked for problems. But this should not cause issues with the bus speed for your graphics board.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

The video card is what is it is , the motherboard is the variable. Contact MSI support and see what they say. I would first unistall or disable any of the MSI OCing utilities and if that doesnt work contact MSI. The worst is a RMA.

HELLLLLPP! I have the exact ame problem. My techpowerup says x1 tooO!!! i just thought it was a cheap card, but deep inside i new i shouldent be gettin below 30 fps in cod4 with all settins lowerd all the way! WTF? MY MOBO IS BROKEN? Theres no way to trry to fix this? Im not rich so im not gunna be gettin a new one like that guy lol so please people
    any Help would be extremely appreciated. Ived sat here for over hundrends of hours, reinstalin windows, runnin virus scans drfragmentin, updatin drivers cleaning dust over and over. But now i can finalt rest:D its just the bus speed thingy lol. ofcourse just when i thought i new all i needed about pcs and how to fix them, somthin new submerges :S Im happy and sad lol I really need help, im goin call dell i guess, c what they say. Its my dads buissnes pc so i cant do it he has to lol, and hes really bussy :(

Ived spent so long tryin to make sod4 run smooth with my e6400, 9600gt and 2 gigs of ram for sooo long that i turned of my pc and didint turn it on for a couple months lol. it was really dissapointing after upgardin from my 7900gs X16 that ran great in its time. I got turned off totoaly of pcs. i new they were beter than consoles but after that i really started hatin pc. lol. Playin cod4 is horrifiying compared to lookin at it on my bros 360 with a crap old tv! I just recently decided to try again, when i came across someone sayin "make sure your pci bus is running at full speed" and it led me here. I am actualy so happy now, I wasent sure if it was my 375 watt 30A 12vrail psu or mabey my hard driver from installin windows over 1000 times lol. I use 1/2 my ram and 1/3 of my cpu in cod4 but yet i LAG like hell? i just didint understand. but now im 95% sure this is the prob, considerin it says exactly the same thing. Can anyone help me no for sure or help my fix this prob so i can filay play beta cod5 now lol. o yeah, thats the reason i tryed to fix my pc again lol. cod5. everywhere i look, ppl with the same gpu and even a old p4 cpu were sayin they play fine in cod4. It was drivin me insain lol
    Last edited by HELP!; 11-02-2008 at 12:20 PM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

You have to RMA the card normally as it is a BAD PSB Design issue.

Did you try the second slot on your Board if you have one? Or PCI Express Bus set to 100-110?

Normally a RMA will have to be done on the card

I dont know what board you have, but if your BIOS has any of these settings it may help you as well but not likely >>>
    Tech ARP - How To Fix The PCI Express x1 Bug Rev. 3.0

That is a Small PSU so it could be the issue aside from the RAIL amount wattage is also needed for some cards. What exact card and PSU do you have now, links please if you can

I have no clue what RMA is and, and what do u mean BAD PSB Design issue lol ?

How do i RMA the card?

I have the KFA2 OC 9600gt 512 --->

YouTube - KFA2 GeForce 9600 GT Video Card

OR

KFA2 GeForce 9600 GT Video Card - OC, 512MB GDDR3, PCI Express 2.0, SLI Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, HDMI Support 96GFF6HUUEXV in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

My PSU: (scroll down)

[ Hardware.Info ] - Dell Dimension 9200

Ived heard that my psu is good enoughf for the 6900gt. I also have read that psu wouldent affect the bus becuase it can run at X16 even without the 6 pin cord connected

My motherborad is a dell and dosent have any kind of special settings like that :(

I only ave one PCI-E x16 slot

Thx alot for answeing me, i really need help
    Last edited by HELP!; 11-03-2008 at 04:42 AM.

RMA is to return the card and get a new one? (i think) I bought it form canada computers, a computer store in my downtown area. So do i go there or call Galaxy (KFA2)? Do i need a recite? I havent got my 50$ rebate yet mabey that can be used as proof like a recite?
    I bought the card at least 3 months ago, is it still able to be returned? I only wish i new this when i first bought it :( i sent the recite with the rebate thing along with a cut out piece of the box with the serial on it lol. I beter be able to RMA it :)

sorry for the double post
    Last edited by HELP!; 11-03-2008 at 10:13 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information