Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Computer won't recognize sound card...

Question Computer won't recognize sound card...

Here is my problem. My computer will recognize the on-board sound, but not my Creative XF-I Elite Pro sound card. The card is basically brand new, and it was working fine on my other mobo. I tried going into CMOS to see if there was anything in there that might need to be manipulated to get it to recognize it. However, being somewhat of a newbie, I didn't really see anything worthwhile. Furthermore, when I go into the control panel or device manager, I can't find the card (I tried checking all the sound settings, properties, etc.). I put the XF-I Vista CD in and it downloads everything except the drivers. The computer sends me a message that says something like, "there is nothing to update/add drivers for." I also tried putting the card into another PCI slot, but the same thing happens, NOTHING. Again, I get sound, but only from the on-board sound. I know that the card is getting power, because the XF-I icon on the card lights up.

Default Re: Computer won't recognize sound card...

What you need to look for in the BIOS is to disable your onboard sound. Once the motherboard is set to not load up the onboard sound, Windows will be able to find your PCI based sound board and you will be able to load drivers, if necessary. When your onboard sound is still enabled, Windows will not find the add-on board since it would create a conflict.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Default Re: Computer won't recognize sound card...

I did go through the BIOS and I disabled the on-board sound...I was still unable to find the sound card on the computer.

Thread Information