Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Which Video card's?

Default Which Video card's?

Hello everyone, i'm brand new to the site and thought it looked pretty nice. I have never been able to really build myself much more than a half decent computer because of money and lack of experience. I was wondering though if anyone could help me figure out which video card(s) would be best coming in around 600$(us). I was looking at the gtx 280 and was wondering would that be my best bet or are their other options out there that would provide more for me. If you could help me i would be very appreciative.

So far this is my rough draft i'm still tweaking out untill i save up the money from my deployment to iraq.

Core i7 920
    ASUS Rampage II Extreme X58 Mobo
    Noctua NH-U12P CPU Cooler
    Thermaltake VH6001BWS Armor+ Full-Tower ATX Case - Clear Side ESA
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1TB x2
    VelociRaptor WD3000GLFS 300GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
    ABS Tagan BZ Series BZ1300 1300W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Patent Piperock Modular Power Supply

I havn't really looked at much else yet and wouldn't mind some input on what i've already thought about and on those video cards what the best bet would be.

Default Re: Which Video card's?

I haven't been playing with too many graphics boards of late, but as a rule a single card is easier to tweak than a dual board setup. I run a pair of X2900 boards but that is more for the higher power consumption needed for power supply reviews. Tweaking isn't mandatory for my needs, but the parts list you are running through is going to end up being a system that is just asking to be overclocked. I'll let others with more expertise in the newer video boards give you their opinion on which is best.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Default Re: Which Video card's?

Quote Originally Posted by Darthtanion View Post
    I haven't been playing with too many graphics boards of late, but as a rule a single card is easier to tweak than a dual board setup. I run a pair of X2900 boards but that is more for the higher power consumption needed for power supply reviews. Tweaking isn't mandatory for my needs, but the parts list you are running through is going to end up being a system that is just asking to be overclocked. I'll let others with more expertise in the newer video boards give you their opinion on which is best.
    ty for the info, i have never overclocked anything and havn't touched water cooling before but i intend to get into it with my new system hopefully :)
    I will probably just go with a gtx 280 1g unless anyone has any better suggestions? Or know of the better gtx 280's to buy?

Thread Information