Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: HDMI and Sound

Default HDMI and Sound

I have been building rigs for longer than I want to admit, but just set up my old rig as a media PC for my HDTV and have a question for you guys. I want to get my pic to full 1080p rez but the pc input on the tv isn't set up to go that high of resolution. I could go to the HDMI port via adaptor from the DVI on my video card but I can not set the TV to accept an audio input while one a HDMI port (digital sound via the HDMI only).

I see a card like:
    GIGABYTE GV-N95TOC-512I

This has a HDMI out directly, and I see that it has S/PDIF cable with it. I ASSUME the cable is to connect it to the MOBO and the only reason I can see to hook the sound to the video card would be to pass it, via the HDMI port.

The other option i thought about would be to use the existing card (GTX7900) with an adaptor that allows a jumper plugin from the digital signal out from the MOBO, but after several hours searching the net, I didn't find anything like this other than "converters" for over $200. The adaptor route would be the cheapest/easieset/mostacceptable, since this card has no issues going to the rez needed. (and I am not really looking to make this an exercise in finding and buying cool new hardware)

What's you guys take on this?

Trav

Default Re: HDMI and Sound

Quote Originally Posted by Travlin View Post
    I see a card like:
    GIGABYTE GV-N95TOC-512I

This has a HDMI out directly, and I see that it has S/PDIF cable with it. I ASSUME the cable is to connect it to the MOBO and the only reason I can see to hook the sound to the video card would be to pass it, via the HDMI port.

The other option i thought about would be to use the existing card (GTX7900) with an adaptor that allows a jumper plugin from the digital signal out from the MOBO, but after several hours searching the net, I didn't find anything like this other than "converters" for over $200. The adaptor route would be the cheapest/easieset/mostacceptable, since this card has no issues going to the rez needed. (and I am not really looking to make this an exercise in finding and buying cool new hardware)

What's you guys take on this?

Trav
    It is quite common for newer video cards to have HDMI adapters or even native HDMI, bit as you said it does require the SPDIF cable to the motherboard/sound card in most cases. I don't remember my 7900 having the SPDIF cable though...

If you are planing on keeping your 7900GTX make sure your card is HDCP compliant, some of the early 7900's were not. Your card should be able to handle any hd media you can throw at it.

Personally I would buy a new card though, just to make things easy, probably with native HDMI.
    My Current Rigs:
    Antec P180, OCZ Powerstream 520W, DFI nF4 SLI-DR Expert, AMD X2 4400 w/XP120(2.6GHz@1.45v), 2x1GB OCZ Platnium PC3200, BFG 7900GT@592/800(1.6), WD 250GB SATA, Maxtor 120GB IDE, LG DVD/CD Combo(black), Sony DRU-810 DL DVD Burner(black)
    3DMark01:25379, 3DMark03:19746
    3DMark05:9294, 3DMark06:5340

Raidmax Cobra, Fortron PN-400W, ASUS A8N-E(nF4 Ultra), X2 3800 w/AMD heatpipe cooler, 2x 512MB Crucial Balistix, ATI X300, WD 250GB IDE, Samsung 16x DVD/RW

Default Re: HDMI and Sound

Thanks for the input on this. I have just never dealt with the AV side of the PC. This is something I need to sort out, since after I copied 705Gig of my DVDs to the hard drive, I still watch the DVD since the resolution is better from the DVD player.

I suppose the next AV adventure will be to figure out the components for the 5.1 I want to put in next. This media PC is pretty much just a distraction while the weather is cold.

Thanks again

Trav

Thread Information