Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: KVM switch question

Recently bought a KVM switch, to hook up two boxes to the same keyboard/monitor/mouse. I noticed that it blurs the resolution a bit when I use it though. Is the KVM responsible, or could it be that the signal is dying out since it has to travel through another DB15 (is that right? I'm referring to the monitor cable...) cable? Thanks ahead.

It maybe the switch or poor quality/faulty cable. :smokin:

Well, it does it on both machines, so that would mean both monitor cables would be bad. The switch was $20, which was pretty cheap compared to some of the other stuff I looked at. Would poor resolution be expected from a cheaper switch? Manhattan is the company that makes it, I don't know much about them.

So attenuation wouldn't be a problem them? Would it be worth checking out different monitor cables?

Yes that could be it. :smokin:

most KVMs have limits as to how high the res and refresh rates of a monitor can go check if you are trying to go outside of this spec

I had a problem with the screen being a bit "fuzzy" with my KVM.
    I purchased some pipe insulation, the kind that comes in 6' lengths - made out of foam - with a slit down the length of it.
    (6 foot worked, 'cause that's how long my monitor cables are for the KVM)
    I got 2 lengths for 1/2 inch diameter pipe, with the insulation being 3/8" thick. Ran my monitor cables through the insulation, and the rest of the cables I fastened to the outside of the insulation with some cable-ties.
    It really cut back the interference I was getting with the rinky-dink monitor cables that came with the KVM --- cleared the display right up nicely. It actually looks kinda' nice in a way too, laying behind the desk there all bundled up.

Worked wonders for me anyway, do-it-yourself shielding for $4 US.

:thumb:

I'll say it one more time for the record, some of the best tweaking materials can't be found in computer shops :laugh:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Quote Originally Posted by [size=6
    Mr. C[/size]]
    I'll say it one more time for the record, some of the best tweaking materials can't be found in computer shops :laugh:
    Simply amazing what can be obtained from auto and hardware stores. :eek:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

LOL
    Maybe it's just me, but I look for stuff I can use for my computer when I'm at the grocery store:laugh:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Hey garden nurseries are ok too. ;)

Thanks, I'll check it out.:thumb:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information