Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: speaker help!

Default Re: speaker help!

hey shanmugam thanx for replying
    some1 recommended me those but i didnt think they were that good
    i think im going to get a nice setup like this for some real sound
    they have it at best buy right now but ill check craigslist for deals

anyone know if these are a good pair?

Polk Audio - 5-1/4" Bookshelf Speakers (Pair) - Cherry - TSI100 CHERRY

Polk Audio - 10" 100W Powered Subwoofer - Cherry - PSW10 CHERRY

Polk is supposed to be really good, I've never had their stuff personally.

But hope you have a receiver too, cause to use speakers like that you'd need one or far more expensive specialized boards to hook directly to a computer but a receiver is far easier an option I'd think and will most likely cost less.

Coolermaster HAF 932
    PC Power & Cooling 1200 watter
    30inch H-IPS for work and 27inch HP for games
    Core i7 975 @ 4.6GhZ
    ASUS P6T v2
    12GB DDR3 Corsair RAM @ 1866 now
    Plextor BD/DVD-RW
    LG DVD-RW second drive
    128GB SSD x2 RAID<-- OS and apps
    2x300GB Raptor, scratch/work drive
    2x 2TB for storage
    Denon and Boston Acoustics sound system
    HT Omega Claro Halo
    1x 5970
    Win 7 Ultimate x64; dual boot with Ubuntu 10.04 x64

Altec Lansing's are supposed to be good and some say they like them more than the Klipsch Pro-Media's.

Most of those are again primarily PC speakers so they'll be limited in how well they can sound. And won't be in the same sonic reproduction league as those Polk's or the CS-26's I showed you.

What's best for you Tyler? Do you have a receiver or special recording sound board? You'd need either to run studio monitors on a computer. If you have a receiver you'll be fine just make sure you watch the ohms, don't mismatch you can blow something out, either make sure your sure your speakers match the impedance of your receiver or you can see if your receiver will let you switch impedance and it supports the same as the speakers you're buying.

If the PC based speakers will be better for you then go with those. You made it sound as though you wanted monitors so I hope you have a receiver or special sound board designed for music recording otherwise you'll need to buy that as well. In that case maybe PC speakers will be better for your budget in that case you can use the Klipsch Pro-Media 2.1 set or as the other guy suggested you can try Altec Lansing. I never had any by them not sure how good they actually are but I like the JBL speakers that group makes. JBL/Harmon/Altec all part of the same group, not sure which is the primary company or mother organization though.

Coolermaster HAF 932
    Core i7 975 @ 4.6GhZ
    ASUS P6T v2
    Plextor BD/DVD-RW
    LG DVD-RW second drive
    2x 2TB for storage
    HT Omega Claro Halo
    1x 5970

Denon and Klipsch Home Theater Bundle Denon receiver paired with Klipsch speaker system at Crutchfield.com

I know you said you'd rather not have a 5.1 but that polk set you showed the sub was 200 and the monitors were 200 for the set this is roughly 80 more but has the receiver and everything. If you were able to push yourself to get those and you don't have a receiver then a decent 200 receiver would push you to 600+ so this may be better then just put it in stereo mode for music if you want the real reproduction or realistic lol unless you like the surround you get with pro logic, some rock music it's okay but some music it's best to just hear it in the native stereo.

There's a similar one at Best buy with the same receiver just a 5.1 set from Boston Acoustics that's 599 normal sometimes goes on sale for just over 400 so a bit cheaper than the Denon/Klipsch offering. You can shop around too see if that is available on eBay, Amazon or zipzoomfly for better deals just get the model number to search at other places for a possible better deal.

Coolermaster HAF 932
    Core i7 975 @ 4.6GhZ
    ASUS P6T v2
    Plextor BD/DVD-RW
    LG DVD-RW second drive
    2x 2TB for storage
    HT Omega Claro Halo
    1x 5970

thanks deathviperX you've helped me alot...
    i have an old Pioneer reciever that my dad bought in the 80's but you know wat im just going to get some Powered monitors such as the AV40's or ill just check around best buy for some speakers... not sure if they carry the Klipsch Pro Medias anymore there becuase i checked there site and they dont have any but thanks for all the help and suggestions

tyler

Quote Originally Posted by tylerfukuda View Post
    thanks deathviperX you've helped me alot...
    i have an old Pioneer reciever that my dad bought in the 80's but you know wat im just going to get some Powered monitors such as the AV40's or ill just check around best buy for some speakers... not sure if they carry the Klipsch Pro Medias anymore there becuase i checked there site and they dont have any but thanks for all the help and suggestions

tyler
    Not sure either, I've never seen them at my local Best buy and don't see them as you said on their site. You could find them on other e-tailers or perhaps some other stores.

If it still works it doesn't matter how old it is as long as you match the impedance. On a receiver that old you might not be able to switch impedance so you'd need to find out what that is and buy speakers that support that/are designed for that. Basically don't get a speaker that says 6ohms and have the receiver be 8....

But being that old it'll most likely only do Pro Logic and Dolby, but all receivers should by default to L-PCM or commonly called PCM so if your sound board can output the new trueHD and other blu-ray formats to PCM then you'll still be able to hear it on the system. If you don't have blu-ray yet then this is moot, however if you have DTS tracks you won't be able to listen to that. But DTS being superior is more or less to each person's ear and not a set in stone definite thing. It mostly sounds louder more dominant/present than Dolby not cleaner or clearer or any richer so.....

Coolermaster HAF 932
    Core i7 975 @ 4.6GhZ
    ASUS P6T v2
    Plextor BD/DVD-RW
    LG DVD-RW second drive
    2x 2TB for storage
    HT Omega Claro Halo
    1x 5970

mmm damn its all so confusing
    i mean id rather not go through the trouble and get some mediocre speakers such as the AV40's but part of me wants to have that pure,crisp sound quality from true stereo speakers
    here are some pics from my reciever

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f6...9/IMG_6214.jpg
    http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f6...9/IMG_6210.jpg

and someone looked for this great deal on these polks

Newegg.com - Polk Audio Monitor 40 Black Two-way bookshelf loudspeaker Pair

they say that is sounds alot better is you BI-AMP them but if i do how will i connect a sub in the future?

BTW im 15 so i dont know shxt about these things
    so thanks for the help from every1

Quote Originally Posted by tylerfukuda View Post
    mmm damn its all so confusing
    i mean id rather not go through the trouble and get some mediocre speakers such as the AV40's but part of me wants to have that pure,crisp sound quality from true stereo speakers
    here are some pics from my reciever

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f6...9/IMG_6214.jpg
    http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f6...9/IMG_6210.jpg

and someone looked for this great deal on these polks

Newegg.com - Polk Audio Monitor 40 Black Two-way bookshelf loudspeaker Pair

they say that is sounds alot better is you BI-AMP them but if i do how will i connect a sub in the future?

BTW im 15 so i dont know shxt about these things
    so thanks for the help from every1
    One hell of a sale over 50% off I'd consider that lol.

Bi-amping is just using more than one amplifier on a loudspeaker driver. That's more or less a waste for anyone unless an audiophiles/enthusiast. It'd take a while to set up. For your age/use I'd not use/suggest that.

If you were into music mixing/recording on a professional/studious level or into very pristine audio ie audio enthusiast or audiophile and need completely articulate reproduction of your music such as orchestral or classical pieces I'd consider it but the way you want to use it it's.... well not really a waste just not necessary/no point.

I think it's better to just stick to the receiver and speakers for now.

**EDIT**

To think of it easier think of bi/tri amping as if you have a computer with all on board or motherboard driven sound/video then you'd ideally need a beefier CPU to handle the processes of the OS, the drivers, the background programs, the video processing and audio processing far less if you do more so than the basic desktop such as high quality gaming, high grade video editing, transcoding but if you have a separate GPU and sound card it takes stress off the CPU and performance is better. If you have one amp drive all the speakers, the sub etc it stresses it more and it can effect the quality of the processed audio signal being sent to the speakers so running a bi/tri amp setup for one amp to process just the tweeter high frequencies and another to do the woofers etc means each processes less so potentially a higher grade audio signal was processed sent to the speakers for you to hear. Then factor in what gauge wire you have. 12/14/16/18, that can effect the outcome too but that one is debatable.

since your receiver is older, that again will affect it too. High grade DSPs, D/A converters, and other audio processing chipsets are better, even capacitors and voltage regulators play a role, just like a higher grade PS on a computer, if not getting proper voltage flow to run then they won't be unitized to their potential based on engineering.

It can get pretty tricky and over whelming when new to this so that's why I said in your case I'd not worry about any bi/tri amping your speakers.
    Last edited by DeathViperX; 12-05-2009 at 08:01 AM.

Coolermaster HAF 932
    Core i7 975 @ 4.6GhZ
    ASUS P6T v2
    Plextor BD/DVD-RW
    LG DVD-RW second drive
    2x 2TB for storage
    HT Omega Claro Halo
    1x 5970

thanks viper (u da man!)
    anyways when connecting a SUB to the reciever it looks very complicated to me... then again im new to this so wat the do i know...

on the back of most subs i see

OutPut
    R To Speaker L
    O O O O
    O O
    O O
    InPut 1
    From Amplifier

or a simpler picture
    http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/82-115-129-S02?$S640W$

how would i go by connecting that to "My" reciver??

Speakers----Sub----Receiver??

Subs use an RCA plug like the coaxial digital audio out.

Having some browser issues now... may not be replying too much more tonight if it keeps crashing lol.

Coolermaster HAF 932
    Core i7 975 @ 4.6GhZ
    ASUS P6T v2
    Plextor BD/DVD-RW
    LG DVD-RW second drive
    2x 2TB for storage