Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: speaker help!

Default speaker help!

Hello i need help with a decision for a new set of speakers, im looking for the best possible speakers for under 200 but will go above 200 but not by much... ive been looking at

AudioEngine a2 (2.0)
    M-audio Studiophile AV40 (2.0)
    Klipsch Promedia (2.1)
    Swan D1080MkII (2.0)
    Swan M10 (2.1)
    Swan M200MkII (2.0) audio-insider sells for $230 but dont really want to spend that much...

if you guys could help me out with this, not really looking for logitech's z-2300 because i hear they lack in some places and have a really muddy bass
    I game "alot" (NFS,BORDERLANDS,QUAKE...) but sometimes use headphones (fatal1ty's) I listen to mostly heavy rock/metal (vai,yngwie,buckethead,MAB) and sometimes listen to rap/techno...
    i know that a 2.1 setup would be good for games and that type of music but if i end up getting some 2.0 i can always get a subwoofer in the future...
    some people recommend that i buy a 5.1 speaker set for gaming
    but i dont really have the room for that and i cant find any that are good for music.. im really interested in studiomonitors though

help me out please

tyler

Default Re: speaker help!

If that's the 'PC' 2.1 from Klipsch I'd not really compare those to studio monitors.

They're better than most PC speakers sure but those are primarily designed for stuff that the z-2300's are. They're not in any way a professional or studio/audiophile level even though some things sound nicer on those than the z-2300's. Those pro-media's won't replace any real studio monitor, and if you get good enough monitors you won't need a sub. Then again in the 200 price range you won't find too many options so as they say you'd have to "settle" perhaps.

Don't get me wrong the 2300's sound nice, the Pro-media's do sound great but if you're wanting studio monitors then you probably have a discerning ear and can tell and those again won't come close to studio monitors. But again, in your price range Klipschs' may be one of the best you'll be able to find. I've always loved Boston Acoustics speakers if you could see if they offer good monitors in your range.

Game mostly used highly compressed music anyways or compressed regardless so getting Studio grade monitors and if you have a high grade sound card such as the HT Omega line or Auzentechs' or M-audio then you'll hear some of the artifacts in the compression. I really wouldn't use the monitors and high grade sound processor for games cause they'll, as I said, show you the reason lossy compression can be crap. Basically don't judge your sound card/high level speakers for how games sound. Don't expect it to sound as pristine, bright and warm as it would with a SA-CD, or any CD really. Even blu-rays would be awesome for that to hear such great sound.

If you get 5.1, and you'd prefer just disable pro logic from making it "5.1" and put it on Stereo PCM depending on your source quality.

If listening to a CD then it's fine cause they use AD-PCM, commonly called WAVE , similar to LPCM quality.
    Last edited by DeathViperX; 12-03-2009 at 08:52 AM.

Coolermaster HAF 932
    PC Power & Cooling 1200 watter
    30inch H-IPS for work and 27inch HP for games
    Core i7 975 @ 4.6GhZ
    ASUS P6T v2
    12GB DDR3 Corsair RAM @ 1866 now
    Plextor BD/DVD-RW
    LG DVD-RW second drive
    128GB SSD x2 RAID<-- OS and apps
    2x300GB Raptor, scratch/work drive
    2x 2TB for storage
    Denon and Boston Acoustics sound system
    HT Omega Claro Halo
    1x 5970
    Win 7 Ultimate x64; dual boot with Ubuntu 10.04 x64

thanks for the quick reply
    out the monitors there what do you think would be the best options
    like i said i can go a little bit over 200 and possibly 300 around christmas time...
    i can probably find some m-audio bx5's or some swans on craigslist
    the boston acoustics anygood?? good models for cheap?

Also how are you connecting these?

Studio monitors can't exactly hook up to a creative card lol. You'd need a special sound board and other equipment or have a receiver and run a fiber optic line or coaxial if you don't have fiber optic out on the card.

In which case Definitive technology has a nice stereo bookshelf set, the ProMonitor 800 series but it may not work for you most charge 150-200 US dollars for them each. Not sure where you live or how the exchange rate compares.
    Last edited by DeathViperX; 12-03-2009 at 09:14 AM.

Coolermaster HAF 932
    Core i7 975 @ 4.6GhZ
    ASUS P6T v2
    Plextor BD/DVD-RW
    LG DVD-RW second drive
    2x 2TB for storage
    HT Omega Claro Halo
    1x 5970

Quote Originally Posted by tylerfukuda View Post
    thanks for the quick reply
    out the monitors there what do you think would be the best options
    like i said i can go a little bit over 200 and possibly 300 around christmas time...
    i can probably find some m-audio bx5's or some swans on craigslist
    the boston acoustics anygood?? good models for cheap?
    Boston's CS-23 or CS-26 line are around 100/130 per speaker US dollars that is again not sure how it'd compare if you live somewhere else.

Well, everyone's ears are different but I've been a fan of their speakers. They are very clean, if you listen to jazz and you can hear all the instruments and cymbals clearly.

As for heavy metal/hard rock, again from my ear they perform beautifully, Nightwish, Yngwie, Vai, Paul Gilbert, etc......

Out of the one's you listed I can't say personally I've never heard Swan's or even M-Audio's stuff. I heard and grew up on Klipsch, Bose, Boston, Mirage, heard one set of Wharfdale's floor speakers and I wanted to cry oops lol.
    Last edited by DeathViperX; 12-03-2009 at 09:08 AM.

Coolermaster HAF 932
    Core i7 975 @ 4.6GhZ
    ASUS P6T v2
    Plextor BD/DVD-RW
    LG DVD-RW second drive
    2x 2TB for storage
    HT Omega Claro Halo
    1x 5970

haha cool cool
    ya i live in Cali
    i plan on hooking these up with an RCA cable
    most of the monitors already come with but i have 1 from radioshack
    i will def check into those bostons and look around for reviews
    i just checked on the Boston Acoustics site and the CS-26's are on sale for around 80 plus tax/shipping

yea bose i think are kinda over-rated but thats me and i have never truly heard them in action (those damn QuiteComforts tho are a beauty :])

here are the swan m10 for around 100 (2.1 set)
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2341/...25dd832be0.jpg

here are the m-audio Av 40's
    http://cachepe.samedaymusic.com/medi...c089062026.jpg

im leanin torwards either of those
    unless others prove better
    thanks for the reply

tyler

Quote Originally Posted by tylerfukuda View Post
    haha cool cool
    ya i live in Cali
    i plan on hooking these up with an RCA cable
    most of the monitors already come with but i have 1 from radioshack
    i will def check into those bostons and look around for reviews
    i just checked on the Boston Acoustics site and the CS-26's are on sale for around 80 plus tax/shipping

yea bose i think are kinda over-rated but thats me and i have never truly heard them in action (those damn QuiteComforts tho are a beauty :])

here are the swan m10 for around 100 (2.1 set)
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2341/...25dd832be0.jpg

here are the m-audio Av 40's
    http://cachepe.samedaymusic.com/medi...c089062026.jpg

im leanin torwards either of those
    unless others prove better
    thanks for the reply

tyler
    No prob.

Those M-Audio's look familiar I think I remember a review I read in sound and vision about them, they were pretty highly regarded if I remember right.

Well, the thing with Bose is they deliver such big scopic sound from tiny cubes and that wow's people. They do sound amazing... to an extent <-- there's the fine print. Sound from Boston's; certain ones I've had or heard beat them clean out the water, so do certain Klipsch or Definitive monitors. When you move into Floor Speakers, from any of the aforementioned companies that's a whole other story. Thiel has some amazing speakers too, but those are for people whose pockets aren't empty lol.

Later, and happy listening/gaming.

Coolermaster HAF 932
    Core i7 975 @ 4.6GhZ
    ASUS P6T v2
    Plextor BD/DVD-RW
    LG DVD-RW second drive
    2x 2TB for storage
    HT Omega Claro Halo
    1x 5970

thanks viper
    hows the companions 3''s :]]]]

Are those Bose?

I've never actually heard their PC speakers. I'm sure they'll be higher than standard PC speaker grade like the Klipsch ProMedia's but how good overall, probably not the same as any good studio monitors.

PC speakers no matter how good they are, which they are, aren't even close to the same league as studio/Home audio. It also depends on the use. If you just need something basic for sound you don't exactly need bookshelf speakers. If you are an audiophile/enthusiast or do mixing/recording then you'll probably want to invest in something like them. I wouldn't get them if you think games will be SOOOO much better.

Like I said, game music is lossy and compressed usually you don't exactly need professional league gear the Logitech z-2300's will be more than perfect if just gaming but want higher quality audio.

Coolermaster HAF 932
    Core i7 975 @ 4.6GhZ
    ASUS P6T v2
    Plextor BD/DVD-RW
    LG DVD-RW second drive
    2x 2TB for storage
    HT Omega Claro Halo
    1x 5970

Altec Lansing Best in Speakers , I using this speakers fro the past 1.5 years, i dont get any probs in that

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information