Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Fixing a dead Accelero 4870X2 fan

Default Fixing a dead Accelero 4870X2 fan

Sigh, nice one, Arctic Cooling. First your cooler kills my card, then I get the new screws and the damn 3rd fan (the one right above the VRMs) dies in the midst of a Crysis gaming session, artifacts popped out everywhere - nearly killing another one. Accelero 4870X2 - The Card Killer .
    I'd probably be wiser to switch to a 5870 Vapor-X, partially because 100% of my GPU will always be utilised (tsk tsk, shoddy software multi-GPU support and bad drivers) but it comes with a near silent cooling solution that runs at 35C and for one, doesn't void my warranty.

So onto my question, before I go ballistic and volley-kick this damn thing into my neighbour's backyard, any advice how to fix the fan without totally breaking everything? Another fan module is 11$ with shipping and my warranty is in Germany (long story). The fan did spin up 1 or 2 times on it's own but turned off after a few seconds, which leads me to believe it's an electrical issue. The other fans work so the problem must be on the contacts of the actual fan (the other 2 connect at the first).

Any help appreciated
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 G0 @2.8 GHz / Prolimatech Megahalems Cooler (2x Scythe Slipstream 1200)
    MUSHKIN XP Series 991599 4 GB (2GB + 2GB) PC-8500
    SAMSUNG HD103UJ Spinpoint F1 1000 GB / Western Digital WD1600JS-55MHB0 Caviar 160GB
    Sapphire ATi Radeon HD 4870 X2 2 GB GDDR5 (750/900MHz)@PCI-E 2.0 x16, COOLER: Arctic Cooling Accelero XTREME 4870X2
    Windows XP Professional
    GIGABYTE GA-X48-DQ6, iX48(Bearlake) + iCH9R, F8D bios
    Corsair TX750W PSU

Default Re: Fixing a dead Accelero 4870X2 fan

Never mind this thread, there was no way to reach the electronics without destroying the fan and that's exactly what I did since it wasn't spinning anyway and voila, two wires were unsoldered. I guess all that STAYING IN PLACE must've caused unbearable stress on the profesionally soldered joints done by hard-working underpayed Chinese men. Freakin' unbelievable, a SCART cable that I soldered by hand has now been working for a year even though it was moved, bent, connected and reconnected a thousand times.
    Oh well, the other two at least work, which should at least keep the card working (mind you I said working, not playing games) till Chang Siang, I mean Hong Kong, or whatever the hell it is, ships a new one for 80$ which is gonna take 2 weeks. To hell with it, I'll chop my arm off sooner than buy another Arctic Cooling product. This thing has caused enough mess for me.
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 G0 @2.8 GHz / Prolimatech Megahalems Cooler (2x Scythe Slipstream 1200)
    SAMSUNG HD103UJ Spinpoint F1 1000 GB / Western Digital WD1600JS-55MHB0 Caviar 160GB
    Sapphire ATi Radeon HD 4870 X2 2 GB GDDR5 (750/900MHz)@PCI-E 2.0 x16, COOLER: Arctic Cooling Accelero XTREME 4870X2
    Windows XP Professional
    Corsair TX750W PSU

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Why rant here? You sounded like this was the Arctic Cooling section, so I just wondered.

Anyway, did you resolder it?

Sorry, I probably should've put this in the cooling section, or now that I've chilled off a bit, I probably shouldn't have put it anywhere, but it ticks me off, as, like I said, this thing doesn't exactly come cheap. First it kills my card because AC can't figure out the screws are too short, and if I hadn't been able to smart my way around not losing my warranty due to modifying the card, this card costs 500$ where I live, buying another one because the cooler destroyed it would have been a wonderful story.
    Now that I have another card, the fan somehow dies after being only 2 months in use. For me that says a lot about AC products. The fan module with shipping is around $15 but it's a matter of principle - the design quality is shoddy.

I didn't resolder it, what's the point, the fan's bearings are destroyed and pretty much the fan as well, as I had no way of reaching the electronics without prying off the fan which I didn't mind doing what with the whole already not working thing and all.

Far as I'm concerned, lock this topic.
    Windows XP Professional
    Corsair TX750W PSU

Ya, you kinda confused me because you said "Your Cooler" like this was the Arctic Cooling section or something

Ahh, I didn't know the fan was shot, I thought just the wires came undone is all. Guess soldering wont help of course

Have you contacted them about this to try and see if they will send you a new fan for free or + Shipping?

Heh I guess it's worth a try but when you look at their website under support and "Fan stopped working" they just send you to a link where you can buy another fan module. I'll try asking them but in all these years this is the first time I've had a fan fail due to electronics and not the bearings being destroyed etc.
    Windows XP Professional
    Corsair TX750W PSU

I have not heard much about their support, but it is worth a shot anyway.

Thread Information