Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Budget Performance Sound Cards

I have a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz and love it. Great sound & lots of options. Check out their web site. Their control panel makes it very easy to configue as well.

Hmm, do any of the Turtle Beach Cards have optical Out?
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Mine doesn't but I thought we were talking lower end cards. I've never looked at their high end stuff.

Yes, I know it does.

I spent quite a bit of time looking at what philips has to offer, and I found some Very favorable reviews of the 'seismic edge' card. With it outperforming the Audigy in every category but it does lack one obscure unused feature, none the less, it retails for 40$ and the audigy retails as high as 200$ !

I am leaning towards this card from Philips unless someone knows of a reason not to? It doesn't have optical out, but with all the bonuses it does have, and especially at this price, I am willing to go without the optical out.
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Z,
    Do you think it would be worth upgrading a SB5.1 to the Seismic Edge card? :?:
    Have you hugged a Midget today?

Well, maybe if you are displeased with the Live, or if you have someone to sell the Live to...

In fact, here is a direct comparrison between the Live 5.1 and the "Acoustic Edge"
    http://www.digit-life.com/articles/philipsae/
    Make sure to note the black graphs 2/3rds of the way down the page pitting the noise created by each of the sound cards (and of course, less spikes are better)

And then here is a review specifically on the Seismic Edge, but note in the beginning how the reviewer mentiones that this is little difference between the components of the seismic edge, and the Acoustic Edge.
    http://www.tweak3d.net/reviews/philips/se/

And here is another review, overall the best one IMO, specifically about the seismic edge.
    http://gear.ign.com/articles/361/361872p1.html

The only negative thing I have read is that apparently Philips only makes drivers that work with 1 CPU, alot of Dual CPU guys complained in the user reviews various places.

The single CPU thing isn't just a Philips issue, it's more universal. Hercules and (big shock) Creative also have some issues here as well---especially the latter (duh!). Turtle Beach doesn't seem to be too bad in SMP environments--though a handful of people have had some bad luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information