Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audio Editing

I need some suggestions for a good sound card for audio edition. A friend asked me and I don't know the first thing about audio editing. It will be running on a AthlonXP system running winXP. Any brand/model suggestions are welcome. Bang for the buck is a consideration, but I am not sure that the price itself is. So if it is a bit expensive, but it's the best thing since Marconi, then it may still make the short list. Please explain your reasoning for your suggestions - as I said I don't know anything about audio editing, so I don't know what is important to consider. I do think I would be able to follow any decent explanation, so don't be afraid to get technical if it clarifies your reasoning.

Thx in advance for any help you can give
    JM :afro:
    Have you hugged a Midget today?

I'm sure that the hardware is important to good editing, but wouldn't it be secondary to the editing software?

Perhaps you might want to inquire along those lines as well. There are a number of editing progs available and I reckon we've got free advice available from some of our freinds here.

Unfortunately, I have no experience either - though I do have some files that could stand a bit of editing as well.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Beefy Guest

Audio 'editing' doesn't really depend on the sound card. It's important to get some good software that can edit well, and a decent card to play back the audio... So all the big cards at the moment (top end Creative, Hercules and Turtle Beach cards are all good, and I've heard some good things about Phillips cards).

It also depends on where you plan on getting audio from. The source needs to be the best quality too. Top quality connections / cords are a must, and if you can use digital input / output, that's a bonus as well.

I think a lot of the recorded material will be self recorded. I have never seen the recording setup, so I don't know if it is digital or analog.

Am I understanding that a SoundBlaster 5.1 is as good as the Audigy for this application? Or is it a little more hardware dependant than that? :?:

Also, I would be happy to hear any suggestions for medium to high end editing software?

Thx again
    JM

Beefy Guest

SB 5.1 and Audigy will be very similar for this, so it's probably just as easy to save a few dollars and get the 5.1 instead.

As for high-end software, I don't really know. I'll have a look around and see what I can find.

SoundforgeXp on the high end.

cool edit pro is a decent low/medium end product for those on the cheap it also has lots of cool plug ins..

the WaveStudio than comes with all creative cards is good for real low end simple stuff.

I appreciate the suggestions! If you come up with anymore please let me know. Good to know that I can save the $150 extra that might have been spent for the Audigy. I will continue to investigate.

Thx
    JM

steinberg wave lab is the high end solution for native (ie) cpu dependant editing , it's on kazaa . for a legit version of software protools free is your best bet for editing and recording its a scaled down version of the industry leading recording software used by the majority of the pro studios that use computer based audio . available at www.protools.com:afro:

I would recommend the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card. It does an awful lot things that can be useful for working with music that you input through the sound card, and it does most things quite well. For a more feature rich card for music recording you have to pay hundreds of dollars more for a pro level card. I usually recommend Soundblaster cards for games and general use, and always suggest Turtle Beach for music. Here's a link to the Santa Cruz specs:

http://www.tbeach.com/site/products/santacruz/specs.asp

Actually, the person that this is for, is also a gamer. I don't want to setup to be "either or," if I can avoid it.

Thx
    JM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information