Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Black Screen After Video Card Switch

Sunyb36 is offline Junior Member

Angry Black Screen After Video Card Switch

Hi All-

I hope everyone is doing better than I am this evening.

I decided that in order to play a few more games on my old Dell Dimension 4600, I would upgrade my already upgraded GeForce 5700 AGP 256mb to an ATI Radeon X1300 Pro 8X AGP card. I still have a 250w psu in the unit, so I went to a system power calculator site and plugged in all my specs. It told me that for the X1300, I would need a minimum of 209w and a recommended 259w psu.

So, I decided to replace the card and when I turn the pc on, I get a black screen. I am not sure that this is a psu symptom, as it wasn't on any of the lists I had read.

The motherboard claims that the graphics interface transfer rate is 8X and max supported is 8X. The seller of the card claims that it is an 8X.

I noticed that the 5700 card had 3 banks of contacts, where the Radeon X1300 has only 2. Even so, the card seems to be the right size for the slots. The only thing I noticed is that the contacts at the very back of the card are not all the way in, as they are at the front. I am only talking 1 mm max., but nonetheless it doesn't seem to get all the way in there. I checked for obstructions, I blew out any dust in the area and nothing.

I don't know if the card is dead, if it is a jumper setting, if it needs aux. power, or the wrong interface. The card is getting some power as the gpu fan is turning rapidly.

I was thinking maybe it is a driver issue, but this pc doesn't have a vga integrated video connection, or I would install the ATI driver, pull out the 5700 and see if I would get something that way.

Since I don't have the integrated graphics to fall back on, if I replace my NVIDIA driver with the ATI driver and the screen is still black, what happens when I try to restart the pc with the 5700 back in?

What am I doing wrong, besides trying to upgrade this Dinosaur??

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sunyb36

Default Re: Black Screen After Video Card Switch

Are you certain that you are using an AGP video card?? ATI Radeon X1300 Pro is usually a PCI express card from what I can find and your remarks about the physical differences leads me to believe that you are trying to jamb a pcix card into an AGP slot. ATI Radeon X1300 Pro appearently does come in a configuration that can be used in an AGP slot but that is only through the use of an "external bridge chip".
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Yes, please post an image of this X1300 card's connector so we can be sure.

Thank you for the replies.

I am relatively certain that this is an AGP card, although not identical to the AGP card I replaced.

I have attached photos of the NVIDIA 5700 and the Radeon X1300Pro, so you can determine if the ATI card is indeed AGP, and to see the slightly different interface layout between the two cards.

Thanks Guys!!

Sunyb36Attachment 2944Attachment 2945

Well, the Radeon X1300Pro photo made it into the thread. I will try again to attache the photo of the card I am trying to replace within this reply.

Thanks
    Sunyb36Attachment 2946Attachment 2946

I am trying to think out of the box here, so I am going to make the assumption that this card is AGP and provide you with another piece of info.

Attached is a photo of my mainboard information as reflected by CPUID. This is where I checked to make sure that the card I needed was AGP 8X. Obviously if you determine the card is PCI, this would be a moot point.

ThanksAttachment 2947

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

What is your exact motherboard model name/number?

Some AGP are different voltage amounts, and keyed slots, so your motherboard may not support the voltage or slot type you are trying to use.

Is that an actual picture of the ATI card taken by you, of the card you are trying to use? If it is then it is a 1.5V AGP card, and may not work on your motherboard. Your Nvidia image above shows a 1.5/33.V backwards compatible card, so even it your board did not support 1.5V it would run the 3.3V way instead.

1.5V ONLY card is not going to work, or fit, onto a:
    3.3V only board
    AGP Pro 3.3V board
    AGP Pro 1.5V board
    AGP Pro Universal

1.5V only card, as shown above in the ATI Image, is only going to fit a:
    1.5V only board
    AGP Universal board

File:AGP & AGP Pro Keying.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Accelerated Graphics Port - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you can tell us the model name of the board maybe I can find the specifications or at least a picture of the slot.

Thread Information