Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HTPC built in Amplifier Passive speaker PCI card or drive tray

Default Re: HTPC built in Amplifier Passive speaker PCI card or drive tray

7.1 HD card would be best to be marketable,

PCI express, x1 bus slot,

or
    better

9 pin ribon wire connector,
    or if possible multi connection configuration.
    (maybe able to connect to the IDE bus) for the boards that still have them.

Mobo seem to have a shortage of PCI bus slots these days.

Make the board mountable to the bottom of the case with two sided tape, and optional mount for those that can drill the bottom. run a ribon wire long enough to mount the controls in a 5 1/4" front bay.

include volume control dial, left and right RCA jacks with a rear mount speaker connector.

A connection pannel for standered store bought gear to be able to interface the card would truly be and exceptional option.

Not sure how long you have been planning this but your time fram to market seem very eager and un realistic.

It is not possible to hide the identity of circutry but try to protect you idea at least till it pays for your work.

will you out source PCB Mfg and then sent it to a seperate stuffing plant or will you breadboard this yourself and do your own soldering.

?

Atmel is good stuff with strong security

Also you must consider most folks only have a 430 watt power supply in their box, so you must calculate what should be avalible for your component to consume max.

esswok,

Thank you for your input, that is exactly the type of information I need.

The shorter time frame is for a simple two channel version, the more advanced version will require much more time for sure.

I have considered a 1x PCI-E connection as I have experience with FPGAs that have ready IP for PCI-E endpoints, but it seems that many motherboards still don't have PCI-E slots or only one for the video card. This seems to be especially true for ITX boards that fit nicely in small cases for HTPCs. For the advanced surround version I'm leaning to make it fit into a 3.5" hard drive bay, or maybe an option to just bolt it to a random free spot in the case, but airflow is going to be critical.

I plan to use the SPDIF output from the motherboard and decode the surround info on the amp, with control coming from an internal USB connection.

The amplifiers will be some form of high end class D and will be in the ballpark of 80% efficient overall even including the DC-DC converter losses. Audio power requirements for are not steady, so a 100WRMS amplifier that is 80% efficient would not draw the 125W from the power supply unless it is driven with a waveform generator. Only a few very high end commercial amplifiers can handle that without melting down. The amplifier would have to measure it's power draw and have the ability to self limit the load so the computer doesn't crash, and surely a larger supply would be required.

I will design a PCB and have it made as the density requires nearly 100% surface mount parts. I already have a relationship with a company that can do final assembly and ship them to customers.

I wasn't planning on putting external controls on a front panel because I wanted to be able to control the amplifier from anywhere in the room with a remote or wireless keyboard/mouse. If both options are desirable enough I could surely add them in, but it would raise the cost.

Thank you again for your input!

I took a brief look at the FPGA, wow sure is different from when I was in the industry. Ceramic dips with silicon wafers and UV erasers. Looks like the FPGA is simler to a Arduuino Duemilanove 2009 AVR Atmega328--20PU USB Board. Some time ago and went the Cisco network engineer route.

anyway if your product will be affordable for anyone you may want to target the music industry to help get established. It would make a recording studio in a pc.

Hi Buk. Sorry to take so long posting. but here goes.

Sounding good,.My preferences that you ask for,.would be fairly normal if this hardware you speak of was readily available in most shops,..

As it's not,.I'll just write em:

Mounting,installation:
    * Std 5 1/4" drive bay or PCI express mounted with rear jacks (later sounds good but shielding presumably is a problem here??)
    Running cables out of the back of the case is important,.so perhaps consider cables from the drive bay location to a "dummy mounted" expansion slot where you can house the speaker wire terminals.
    Even make use of the motherboard audio headers in a more appropriate manner.

Aduio type:

* I really would prefer a dolby digital 5.1 std setup. I know this might not be so easy but that is my preference.

Shielding:

* Quality shielding. I currently have 1 full free stack of 5 drive bays. I will happily fill this up with 1 decent amp! surely there's a way to create a 1 box solution using a double or triple case mounted drive bay system.

Looks:

* Can't forget the looks,.or it won't sell too good,. Nice touch would be a little LCD screen with track info etc.
    Could be stupid here and suggest pairing this amp with a full colour touch screen panel (would really make use of some of those HTPC cases!!

That's bout it for me here in these early stages of a fantastic product,.I might start getting worried if you're serious about taking this to the Shelves.

Cheers,.

D.
    GAEP45 UD3P rev1.1
    Intel E8400 @4.2Ghz
    Corsair Cl4 DDr2 800
    Ati 4890
    Bequite 670watt
    Westerndigital Black 500gb

1st saw this on eBay and then stumbled across this thread and immediately registered just to post my thoughts
    MUSE PC21 T-AMP AMPLIFIER 2*25W TA2021 For Desktop PC | eBay
    Decided to take a screenshot and post pic just in case item poofs from site hehe

HTPC built in Amplifier Passive speaker PCI card or drive tray-unt1-jpg

I think given the size limitations of such a device

1. Perhaps look to put out quality clean Class T power over say 100w/chn into 8 ohms just on 2 channels? (could play Floor standers loud)
    2. Audio signal in via SPDIF out header on mobo to amp and there is a high end Wolfston DAC in the amp perhaps?
    3. Two unit: main is amp + dac with speaker out (prolly spring clip style) then control unit fits in a 3.5" bay and maybe has 2 x headphone jacks (3.5mm and 6.3mm) and has a headphone amplifier section. There are control knobs for bass, treble and volume? Control unit draws both data and power from main unit and possibility of a simple remote maybe :P
    4. Maybe form factor/shape of main unit could be styled like a high end GPU and even have a 6pin PCIe to draw power from PC PSU
    5. Main unit would have @ rear
    a. L + R speaker out
    b. Pre out for sub woofer
    5. Maybe it merely needs to be able to be secured to the rear of PC case via PCI expansion slot and not actually need a PCI/PCIe interface to rest on so as long as case has PCI expansions slot it's all good hehe
    6. So in summary its a PC version of the Topping TP-30 but with beefier power output and superior DAC/Headphone amp perhaps?
    I realize some of my ideas may seem far fetched or some concepts even wrong but i was extremely interested if something like this is available with a lot more beef/features than the MUSE PC21
    Last edited by hodak; 08-26-2011 at 05:58 AM.

Nice one,. Thanks for posting,.

I'm hoping too hear back from buk855.

You know for now that might just be enough to clean up my living room.

The whole concept for me is complete a 1 box system for all media and sound.
    It's a start at least until we hope,. Buk is able to put his design into manufacturing.

Thanks.
    GAEP45 UD3P rev1.1
    Intel E8400 @4.2Ghz
    Corsair Cl4 DDr2 800
    Ati 4890
    Bequite 670watt
    Westerndigital Black 500gb

Anyone come up with anything???

Quote Originally Posted by barro32 View Post
    Here is my latest revision to the PC Integrated Amplifier concept -

Pi-Amp Rev 5 Log-Blog Home

Some improvements to the chassis and PCB. Maybe a little more than most will want to get involved with.

Quote Originally Posted by barro32 View Post
    Begining Pi-Amp Revision 6. Will be working on it over the next few months.

If anyone would like to follow along the log is at - Pi-Amp Rev. 6 Home

Quote Originally Posted by pi-amp View Post
    Begining Pi-Amp Revision 6. Will be working on it over the next few months.

If anyone would like to follow along the log is at - Pi-Amp Rev. 6 Home
    This amplifier is now completed! Features mini ITX main board, 2 TB of media storage, powerfull Marshall Leach amplifier.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information