Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sound System

Hello everyone I am looking to invest into a really good sound set. I'm talking about a sound card, 5.1 speakers, and any other sound accessories. I would like any opinions and advice. Just in case, my system components are listed below. I have a VIA chipset on my mobo.

Thank You

:D :)
    Soyo K7V Dragon Plus mobo with a
    Via chipset
    Antec File server case 400 watts
    21 inch Hitachi monitor
    AMD Athlon XP 1800+ (1.53Ghz)
    120 GB Western Digital HD
    Nvidia Geforce 4 Ti 4400 128MB
    512MB of Ram
    Liteon DVD-Rom 16x
    Liteon CD-R 40x12x48
    Win XP Professional

Well with 5.1's are you aware that the center speaker does nothing unless you play certain DVD's?

Shall I recommend the Logitech Z-560's? Or maybe the Altec Lansing 641's? There are alot of them outthere. For a soundcard there are several good ones but because I don't use any of them and I'm a creative person (creative as in company not creative as in good imagination) I guess I"M recommending something from the Live! series or the Audigy series.

SBL! are very nice. And for speakers I suggest you go to an electronic store near you and listen to them. Can' tell wheteher a speaker set is going to be goo or not without listening to them...
    New Sig soon, old one was way outdated.

:thumb:

I think if he is going to be playing video games more than playing DVD's he would be better off with 4.1

Beefy Guest

you can still use 5.1 speakers for games. It just won't necessarily use the centre channel. if you can afford 5.1s, then go for it

Well even if he can afford it, it might not be worth it if he only watches DVD's once a month or something...

ahem, ****cough****Hercules Game Theatre XP

just clearing my throat:D
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

yeah hercules is the shiznit ! I got the game surround fortissimo 2 and it kicks major you know what I also got some kinyo game zone 5.1's they're nice and have built in decoding if your sound card doesn't have the extra outs

I'm new to these forums but I'll throw my two cents in. If you are look for a sub $200 speaker system I think the Z650 from logitech and the altec lansing 641's are the two serious contenders. Their prices are practically identical and their performance is very close too. Before I decided (I ended up with 641) I read numerous reviews and it seemed to me that the Z650 is better at raw, very powerful bass whereas the 641, while it still backs some *****in base, is clearer. The 641 I have performs very well, and can definitely bring the noise :D One concern with the 641 is size as it is truly large, the subwoofer is bigger than my midtower pc case and the satelites are much larger than most competitors. Listen to them both if you can.

As for the card I use a sound blaster live 5.1 and that works pretty well. I wish the signal to noise ratio were a little higher to avoid the static when no sound is playing but it's not that big a deal, it was cheap and gets the job done.
    -Harbinger
    Wannabe l33t overclocker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information