Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: What speed burner do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by zeradul
    I'm teasing ya .. :)

remember our Acer/AOpen discussion... AOpen has a said to be 'good' quality product, and now we find out they don't even make it... :D

That's their CD-RW drives :rolleyes:

Most of their products they make themselves ;)
    What came first - Insanity or Society?

I know. And I have not had nearly as much contact with AOpen, as I have had with Acer, so there is at least a good chance their partnership isn't much more involved than a legal document.

I can understand a processor clock for clock or a hard drive or a video card even.....but how does one burner differ from the other? I got a 24/10/40 what would make it any higher or lower quality then a plextor or whatever high quality burner........truthly in my opinion when your paying almost 200 and I paid less then 100 your paying for the name its like buying a cadillac instead of a chevy....even though chevy makes my baby the camaro so I'm not gonna put them down but you basically get my point.

Basically- the plextor use 'premium' parts for their drives.

From a physical perspective, the plextor is superior in design/manufacture. Their "faster burn time" is usually a crock of ****. Its only when dealing with exotic conditions that the plextor drives actually do burn faster than others. (such as burning a cd with multiple sessions/sessions of different formats or burning a cd with copy protection)

Also; again with the premium parts- their drives also read cds faster than others. The difference is again- due to exotic conditions, and the actual read time can vary to a few seconds, to a few minutes.

Now from the bang-for-buck perspective- they aint worth it. You basically pay the money JUST to read cds faster than a Liteon.
    The liteon can be gotten for ~AU$200 (plus/minus depending on what speed model)
    However- if you use a scsi system- plextor or nothing. :)

argh, forgot yamaha. all references to plextor in this post should also apply to yamaha drives. they are equally as good as plextor.
    (if not better)

This also applies to other brands of burner as well. Good example is Liteon and Sony. Just sub liteon for plextor, and sony for liteon and youll see how it all works. Reviews of burners can be very misleading and confusing. Its usually best to speak with someone who owns a drive and see how happy they are with it.

now this makes sense......so basically my burner is a substitute for a lite-on? Well as long as it gets the job done and I have never had ANY problem with it whatso ever....ok thanks

Sort of.

Click here for a list of burners and their capabilities. Compare the sony and the liteon and youll see their strengths & weaknesses.

EMF encoding means the burner can copy SafeDisc 2 protected cds. (among other things)
    Having EMF=good.
    Not having EMF=bad if you wanna 'backup' your games.

Quality wise- sony make good products. Just not as feature packed as the liteon

forgot yamaha. all references to plextor in this post should also apply to yamaha drives. they are equally as good as plextor.
    I am sorry, I have to dispute that comment. I had two friends buy identicle yamaha 16X drives, and they were nowhere near the quality of a plextor drive. One went into a P3 800 / 256 PC133 system, and the other went into a Athlon 1.4 / 512 DDR 266, and both of my friends only got the drives to perform as expected 80% of the time. 20% coasters...

They could improve their success rate by not touching their computers during the burn, to about 90% success, but if they wanted to do some browsing, or even ICQ messaging, boom, coaster. And that was with NERO 5, and Easy CD creator.

My friend with the Pentium machine got fed up with the burner, as he burns, 100- 150 a month, and got a ASUS 16X, and he said that with Nero5, he CAN NOT get it to make a coaster, no matter what he is doing. He has made one coaster, and that was only due to a blue screen.

The only thing that changed in his system was the burner, and he sold it on ebay a day after he got his new drive.

Yamaha burners = decent...

NOT even in the same ballpark as Plextor.

I don't really know that much about burners but what exactly do you mean by coaster? I'm able to do anything I want from IMing with people to surfing the web to posting on these forums and I've never had an unsucessful burn. Or its never coasted atleast....as for that list Bahamut Zer0....I've already seen that and I'm running that program during certain times....most of the time I'm running nero 5....my burner is the Sony CRX-175E the only thing closet to that burner on the list is the 175E2 is this the same burner as mine except maybe a newer revision or something? heh it works fine either way

Beefy Guest

a coaster is simply the term for an failed CD burn... all that the CD is good for then is basically being a drink coaster.. :)

A coaster is a device used to keep condensation from touching fine furniture... a coaster is what you make when you have a ****ty burner... :D

catch on yet? :D

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread Information