Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Did you survive the storms in Bendigo, Kheldar?

nt
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

He's online, but away, I guess that's a start! :?:

Beefy Guest

He's probably still celebrating. I showed him an article the other day that said Telstra were replacing pair-gain lines with proper phone lines for free, meaning that he'd finally be able to get ADSL... :)

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy
    He's probably still celebrating. I showed him an article the other day that said Telstra were replacing pair-gain lines with proper phone lines for free, meaning that he'd finally be able to get ADSL... :)
    LOL

I went through that moving into this place, luckily all I had to do was get another line and tell them it was for ADSL.
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Beefy Guest

Taken from whirlpool.net.au:
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Breakthrough for pair gain 'victims'
    Dan Warne | Friday, 4:00 pm | Telstra

Telstra today confirmed it would allow customers on pair gain to convert their phone lines to true copper at no charge, removing one of the main barriers to getting ADSL.

Customers with 'pair gain' on their services have typically been unable to get ADSL, which relies on the physical characteristics of 'clean' copper phone lines - the ability to transmit certain frequencies.

Pair gain units allow up to 16 phone services to be run over one physical line through use of digital units at either end of the cable. Likewise, RIM units allow a large number of phone services to be provided over optical fibre. Both technologies prevent ADSL connections.

The new offer appears to build on Telstra's February offer to convert customers' ANT-1 units to true copper services. Telstra Broadband Chief Justin Milne confirmed to Whirlpool that the program extended to all types of 'access electronics'.

But Milne cautioned that there were important caveats on the offer: an existing, spare copper line would have to be available in the customer's street, and normal ADSL qualification procedures would still be enforced (e.g. ADSL enabled exchange, distance from the exchange, and no other interfering services or incompatible products such as ISDN on the line.)

Customers also wouldn't be able to get the freebie if they already had an existing 'clean' copper line available at the premises.

According to Milne, the copper line transfer program has been operating since May 5th.

He said the program would be offered at no charge, but warned that Telstra reserved the right to review it at a later date based on its experience of the program.

Yes I did survive the storms,
    The hospital suffered some damage to the new nursing home they are building, we also had looters

I'm in the process of selecting my ADSL provider (and getting the money together to pay for install)

:thumb:

Beefy Guest

Hehehe.. good to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Kheldar
    I'm in the process of selecting my ADSL provider (and getting the money together to pay for install)

:thumb:
    So wireless has been put on the back burner now?
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

now why would i want to do that :D,

So far we've tested the following over the wireless network:

Music vids & movies,
    Voice over IP
    File transfere

and they all work perfectly

we've even got some company's planning to offer services over the wireless,
    ie cheap broadband, since the company doesn't have to pay for the infrastructure, they can offer very cheap broadband.

Voice over ip is being considered

since all it costs to get involved is $250 (AUS) for all the gear assembled and tested, its very cheap & will work over very long distances, i've seen tests up to 48 km, personally I've done tests over 6 km.

ADSL - its going to take me a while to save up for the install costs
    :cry:

I'm gonna try to get work to pay for it and / or part of it

Thread Information