Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Setting up a computer business

Quote Originally Posted by mpetrie
    Ever seen the movie American Psycho? Tis' a great flick! You should check it out!
    No, never.

Is it about business cards?

Ive found building a basic Student pack Business Pack and Home/Gaming pack works and the upgrade the computer to their needs. Most customers are after a similar thing but not all of em

Personally If I wanted to start a business, I'd start a business for fixing PC problems, not building them. The margin is pretty thin for building pc's. (at least it is in Australia)

As far as having standard computer packages, it makes it quicker to build since you can build the first one, get all the settings right and then ghost it, so that next time it only takes 10 to 15 minutes to setup the OS.

Quote Originally Posted by Kheldar
    Personally If I wanted to start a business, I'd start a business for fixing PC problems, not building them. The margin is pretty thin for building pc's. (at least it is in Australia)
    Everyone take notes. Kheldar brought up at excellent point. Selling a service rather than a product is typically a much more profitable venture.

Quote Originally Posted by Kheldar

As far as having standard computer packages, it makes it quicker to build since you can build the first one, get all the settings right and then ghost it, so that next time it only takes 10 to 15 minutes to setup the OS.
    Exactly takes 1.5 hours for the first system then 15mins for every other one.

Fixing pc's is the best way to start for sure. Although once you got it going and have clients if you have a 200$ markup on a system for example. Selling that system equals about 4-5 hours of labour repairing machines.

Quote Originally Posted by djvanders
    Selling that system equals about 4-5 hours of labour repairing machines.
    Your nuts. I don't fix for less tha 100$, and depending on the problem or upgrade, i can whack 300$ profit out of a customer.

Quote Originally Posted by JediAgent
    Your nuts. I don't fix for less tha 100$, and depending on the problem or upgrade, i can whack 300$ profit out of a customer.
    $100 per hour? or per job?

Per job, but a job usually only takes an hour or two.

Per job is a good rate. We do 77 per hour at work here which is a bit high i think

Well, i don't think a per hour rate is the best way to do any PC repair, upgrading, virus removal, etc... Due to the nature of PC repair, it is much more attractive for people to pay by the job type, and not by the hour. Then you can get away from people looking over your shoulder if you only quote 30min, or people coming back in 4hrs when you quoted 4hrs but never said you would have time to start now. You also get away from people not coming to you for fear of not knowing how many hours your gonna work on the machine if you don't quote. The way i do stuff is i get a call or refferal from a friend, go to the person's house or place of business and run a quick "voodoo" diagnostic of the machine (PC voodoo is when you go really fast and open more things than you need) i quote them what i think it is (truthfully, voodoo is just the show) or if i need more time i take it home. Most of the time i take the machine home because it almost like them signing a contract with me in their head and they feel obligated (not my fault, thats the way the human brain works) But i do all my work with pre-quoted max prices and min 48Hr turnaround. Emergency fees can be added for me to get it back faster. But all in all i think a per job system with a set price figure list is comforting to a customer. Besides, if i really think i should get mroe money for a long job, i can always inform them of "other" problems that could arise, so as to justify the higher price. Im not a crook as i do good work for a reasonable price. But im not an idiot when it comes to dealing with customers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information