Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Setting up a computer business

Hi Guys,

I know quite a few of you have built computers for customers. Well I've built a couple for people but never really took it any further than that. I was wondering how you guys got yourselfs started. I plan on doing working part time to start with, whilst keeping my job then hopefully doing it full time :hammer: :) So I need some advice.

1) I was thinking of setting up a website under a registered domain and show of some of the Pc's I've already built for people.

2) Obviously I was thinking of advertising locally to try and attract people

3) Do the people who actually do this for a living - do you make set Pc's and only build those or do you tailor everything to customers needs?

4) Do most of the customers you get want the same things as the last customer or are each customer completely different.

Its going to take me ages to get anywhere with this but if you never start then you never know if it could've gone somewhere.

Any advice/opinions are very welcome. :blah: :group:

hey if you live anywhere near Massachusetts id love to join ya. I would love to start up a business like this. My dad did this back in the day working with Amiga's and Commodore's.

Surrey, England
    Looks to me like hes from england.

guess so.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil2094
    1) I was thinking of setting up a website under a registered domain and show of some of the Pc's I've already built for people.

3) Do the people who actually do this for a living - do you make set Pc's and only build those or do you tailor everything to customers needs?

4) Do most of the customers you get want the same things as the last customer or are each customer completely different.
    1. Website helps, but there really is no need. Especially if you ever plan to buy/rent a retail location. Most of your business will be referral (if your good) and business card advertisement. Everyone from large manufactureres to garage businesses can have a website, and its not bad to have one, but spend your time making a good business card, getting a retailers license, and finding good suppliers.

2. You can't match the advertisement power of talking to someone in a restuarant/bar/grocery store and confidently explaining to them that customized computer systems are the best way to go. As a friend (by the end of a 5min conversation you are now a friend) you can hand them a business card, smile and tell them you would love to help them get the computer thats right for them. Thats your #1 advertisement, but you can also do newpaper and yellow page ads.

3. You explain to the customer that every PC is custom made. Which is true because you won't make anything until you have a deposit, and with a deposit you are making it with a specific person in mind. But for the most part you sell the person on what you think the need/afford. There are performance sweet spots where the price is the best, you have to know those. Set PC's come pretty much from what you can get from your favorite supplier, and what price range the customer is in.

4. There are two types of customers. Customers that think they know what they want (i.e. i want 1Gb RAM, or i want a P4) anc those that just want to buy what they can afford. You like the second one cause they are easier to work into what you want to sell them, but the first fokls can be talked into stuff aswell - it just takes a confident, knowledgeable voice.

And don't get me wrong, your not pushing a customer into a certain rig or another. You are just deciding for them which system you think is the best for them. Which, in reality, is your job cause your the computer tech.

Looks to me like hes from england.
    Sorry mate yep I'm from little old England. Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to start advertising locally to try and build up a fan base as it were. Cheers Guys :thumb:

Quote Originally Posted by Neil2094
    Hi Guys,

... So I need some advice.

of course

[B]

no question about that
    for just starting out, out up flyers in local restaurants and grocery stores
    [B]

i have a few set designs, but we also do custom builds
    anything they want, i can do - and i usually try to talk them into at least a ram and vid card upgrade
    [B]

they all have different wants/needs, but they're also 90% aoHELL users :no:

[B]

Its going to take me ages to get anywhere with this but if you never start then you never know if it could've gone somewhere.

Any advice/opinions are very welcome. :blah: :group:

Quote Originally Posted by mpetrie
    hey if you live anywhere near Massachusetts id love to join ya. I would love to start up a business like this. My dad did this back in the day working with Amiga's and Commodore's.
    he's not, but *I* am (western MA)

you any good at sales? i need someone to help in that area
    specifically, on the phone and emails

(sucky-needs-to-be-updated-and-i'm-working-on-it website)
    www.fixmybug.com
    sales@fixmyNOSPAMbug.com
    <a href="http://www.harddrivehell.com">http://www.geocities.com/ctnow_da_ru/images/logod.gif</a>

A word of advice.
    If any of you cust. ask you about overclocking, STRONGLY suggest against it. Unless you dont mind fixing problems that are results of bad overclock.

Also remeber that not everyone needs a R9800PRO AIW with 256mb of DDR.
    A simple GF4 will do for web surfing!

I see soo many people buying a 2+Ghz machine for typing papers and websurfing because the sales guy said it would be faster.
    Sometimes a $399 Emachine will last people years. It has no frills, but it can do what they need.

:2cents:

Quote Originally Posted by kane2g
    A simple GF4 will do for web surfing!
    Jesus, what are the system requirements for your browser?

Quote Originally Posted by JediAgent
    spend your time making a good business card
    Ever seen the movie American Psycho? Tis' a great flick! You should check it out!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information