Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Hi all - please read

Quote Originally Posted by Albinus
    Hi again everyone,

After reading the ForumTopia issue, it seems that some critical decisions were made regarding the future of these forums. It just so coincides that I have finished study for the semester, until the middle of February. So my main question is...

Do you want me back in a technical capacity?

I am just gauging opinion to see whether or not there is a popular view to me making a return. For reasons the ForumTopia thread uncovered, I will not make much of a presence in the Beer Garden. In essence, I will be acting like Darthtanion in this respect :D

So do you want my input back on these forums? Please air your replies here :)

Ciao,

"Al"
    This is supposed to be a democracy, so we'd be more than willing to hear your opinion. Just remember Voltaire's following quote:

I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Come on back. Many ppl would like to see you back and your Intel/Internet/Networking experience certainly wouldn't go astray here at all.
    <center>:cheers:</center>

come on back al, you know you want to ;)

As long as you visit the BG occasionally as well Al............welcome back :kay:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C
    I'd recommend hanging out a bit and determining if you want to be here. That, I feel, is the important question:?:[/i]

That will be something I will consider Mr. C :)

However, after lengthy consideration, there are a few conditions associated with my return:

1) Unbiased opinion. Whilst I was a staff member, I was personally having several issues with a particular company's products. Failure rates of over 25% were noticed, and due to my voluntary work at my college, I do see a lot of hardware ;)

Problem was, whenever I started to raise questions about possible Q.A. problems, I was told to shut up and say nothing, because this company was an advertiser. Every time I tried to raise an issue, same thing. As someone who many people look up to, I would like to be able to say "Well, this company does have a few reliabilty issues with their product" - exactly as I see it. I am also willing to work with companies in this situation; after all great companies will work with those who use their products and get a solution, not deny any problems.

So that is a condition of mine - being allowed to report my observations, as I have seen them, and not hold back constructive criticism because they are an advertiser and might get offended.

2) Issue regarding outstanding Intel product. When I left, the only thing the higher-ups were concerned with was the return of this device. I offered to return the device directly to Intel (hand delivered to their branch in my state), but was told no, it has to go via the staff here. I sought legal advice, and was told to hold this product, and contact Intel directly. After communicating with Intel, they filled me in that this product was in fact not for return.

This correlates with an ICQ log from Cameron Johnson, dated the 11/12/2001, as follows:

Sov 11/12/2001 9:23 PM From Intel's stance the P4's we have a (sic) perminant (sic) keepers :)

This was after I told Cameron that I would not send him my 1GHz Pentium III chip (which I paid A$429 for retail), because Intel would want my "loan" Pentium 4 back. Well, the above chat excerpt is exactly what Intel told me. They do not want the chip back.

Seeing that was the case, I asked Intel what I should do with it. The representative said "Keep it". Considering that all my work for the site was indeed unpaid, I considered this fair payment for my time and effort (including the forums). So this is something I would like aired, as my cellphone's voicemail was left some very interesting messages I wish I had recorded (pity Optus wipe them after 1 week).

3) Integrity. Whilst I wish not to add to the debacle surrounding the XP article, this indirectly affected me. A lot of people mistakenly thought that I was still writing for TweakTown, which I was not. Immediately at college (there are about 7000 students there), I was the target of threats such as "I told Microsoft about you". Whilst they did not affect me, it was alarming to notice that I was still associated with this site, and a cheap journalistic article at that.

I want the world to know that I AM NOT ASSCOSIATED WITH TWEAKTOWN IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM.

There, I've had my rant. I will mull over this for a few more days, I would be most interested to see what Darthtanion and Wiggo will have to say (seeing that I have very constructive relationships with them).

In any case, I wish to pass on my usual greetings to my forum friends of old :wave:
    What came first - Insanity or Society?

See previous post. ;)

That's your business, not mine. : peace2:

Well Albinus, in what capacity do you intend to return to the forum?

If you are going to be staff then it is reasonable to assume that you will have to uphold the policies.
    Wether it be on a voluntary level or as a paid employee --- when you work for the company you abide by company policy. That's the way the ol' world goes 'round.
    I may not agree with my employer, but I'm just the employee - if you catch my drift.

As a poster to the TweakTown Forum I have a lot of freedom.
    Also a good deal of responsibility too. I strive to make my posts accurate - this is done for 3 reasons, 1; personal integrity, 2; to be of benefit to the community, 3; respect for Cameron.

If I bring up an issue I honestly don't know, or really care who is advertising. Maybe that's just me though?

Regarding issues of QA, I am in agreement 100%
    As to the return issue - I'm going to stay out of that, except to suggest that in future all parties involved should discuss any arrangements and expectations prior to any hardware changing possession. I would assume also that that is policy now, considering the previous discord over the matter????
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C
    I may not agree with my employer, but I'm just the employee - if you catch my drift.

Gee Charles, you sure make a lot of sense... wish I could draw on your wisdom whenever I needed it :)

You raise a valid point which I have quoted, and that is something I hadn't considered. Whilst this may be fine for you, it isn't for me to a certain degree. I'm not going to air any dirty laundry or personal grudges (because I don't hold grudges) :p but I just would like to say that because of what you have said, there is no chance in hell that I would return as staff.

That said, I in no way worry about what Cameron does with his site - it's his site, so he can run it however he damn well pleases! I have no vested interest in TweakTown, whether it succeeds or flops does not matter to me. The main thing I have gained from these forums is the online friendships that I have made with many members, and this is part of the reason I am "testing the waters" again :)

Some of you have contacted me about what I am doing now, one of my lecturers has been fantastic as a mentor, and we have a few things in the pipeline :devil win

Study commitments will hold me up again next year, but at the end I am more than sure it will be worth it - a position such as being on the network design team of a cellular network (such as Optus) is not out of the question at this stage of my education :)

Anyway, my frequency of visiting these forums will diminish greatly, but I will still drop in occasionally to say "Hi"

Bye for now,

"Al"
    What came first - Insanity or Society?

Now don't get me wrong Albinus, I never stated I was fine with it - the simple fact is I know my place in the grand scheme of things.

Being an idealistic type is fine well and good. I applaud that and in fact share the trait with you.

I hope you get that job you desire, and if that is truly your goal I have no doubt whatsoever that you will.
    Just don't be surprised on the day that for the first time your employer requires you to do something that will achieve a less than optimum result. This will happen, I assure you - profits and perfection are always in competition and for most of the time the folks in the suits will go with the profits. That too is the way the ol' world goes 'round.
    Sometimes you just gott'a bite your tongue and do the wrong thing because that, in a nutshell, is what you are paid to do.

No, I don't like it at all.
    Until I have my own company, website, whatever; I just do what I'm told and bite my tongue a lot.
    I reckon you'd hear the same from your mom and everyone else that works for someone else for a living.

Fact of the matter is this;
    Most folks like to eat, to do so is greatly enabled by a paycheck.

I couldn't begin to tell you the number of times I've bitten my tounge, shrugged my shoulders, and said to my workmates "you gott'a eat.".

But no sir, I don't have to like it 1 little bit.
    I am required only to deal with it and do my job.

Well, I could always quit instead - and a couple times that was my recourse. Just keep in mind that the moral high ground can be a lonely place to stand.

Sadly, you are going to go through a lot of this type of situation in life.
    Good luck, we all need it.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information