Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whooo Hooo

I find the cost of sattelite access to be a bit out of reach for me. At around $600 for equipment and add in $70 monthly subscription fee = in the neighborhood of $1,400 for the first year and over $800 each following year. Of course I doubt the price would ever increase -------- I can't think of anything else that has gone up in price lately:laugh:

Ahh well, until I find that winning lottery ticket in my driveway............a poor man has poor ways:smokin:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Mr.C -- Check with your local Satellite installer. Right now, my parents are looking for something faster than Dial-Up, and they were offered this deal.

They are already paying for Basic Satellite Television which costs 20$ Per Month. They are also paying for an unlimited 56K connection, which connects at 42000 kbps, which costs 22$ per month. So thats 42$ per month for satellite television, and Dial up internet.

Our Local Satellite provider offered us this deal:

* Completely Free Hardware with a commitment to use Satellite Internet for 2 years. (hardware worth 400$)

* Must pay installation fee of 179$ (apparently this is required on EVERY install of satellite internet)

* 65$ Per Month, which includes internet capable 50 KB Down, 20KB Up, and all the Basic Satellite programming. (80-90 Channels--ESPN's, TLC, History, CNN's, Rent ANY movie for 2$ extra)

Total Cost of 179$ start up fee, and then 65$ per month from them on... Which is only 23$ more than they are currently paying, for internet that is roughly 20 times as fast.

But what do you do with your connection Mr. C? If you just browse web sites then you might not really have a need for a better connection. BTW, are you paying for a second line? Because if you were, it would be CHEAPER to go with satellite internet. That is of course if you are also interested in the cable television programming.
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

We get similar deals here. You do have some problem when storms blow through just like when you're watching satellite TV.

The wife has control of the TV - I do watch TechTV when possible, and if I happen to notice a good movie on I'll watch. Right now she's in Florida, so the sattelite service has been discontinued temporarily - kind of a saver-plan for vacationers. She knows I live on the internet & with the hours I'm working now, I don't have time to catch TSS anyway.

I basically do all my stuff online - get news, entertainment, educational and reference material, communication, shopping, etc. etc. -- about everything but play games -- except of course single-player type games which I like. With my monstrous pings, I've never even attempted online gaming.

Only 1 phone line here - you know when I'm home 'cause the line is busy:laugh: Don't even try to call me - use email or fughedaboutit.

I'll consider it! Got the $179 with all the overtime I'm putting in.
    The whole satelite things has its ups-n-downs -- the weather thing might be the pits here:shoot2:

What do you guys do for web-space?

Umm, oh yeah - I'm on DirectTV, so if anyone has input on that service it would be appreciated.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

My only choice is sattalite
    but the ping time sucks balls
    cant play Q3A or Unreal over it

but the D/L speeds look good
    Dual P2 233@266
    144MB ram
    TNT-M64 POS

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C

1.) Move
    2.)Start a rural broadband service ... I've been doing a bit of reading on that subject, but I'm pretty sure that ATM I lack the skills and funding.
    there is a nice page put up by a community in Colorado that explains how they created a non-profit organization and took the telco to court for line access and now have their own 1 town ISP -- unfortunately, I am unable to provide a link ATM
    Wireless networking is the way to go - its very easy, reasonably priced, all you need is to be able to see your target and line up antenna and bingo u have a link

http://www.wireless.org.au/

has a lot of good info

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C

What do you guys do for web-space?
    I manage works web server so I can have as much as I like - but the ISP hasn't been very reliable and I haven't paid for a domain name - so while I have lots of space I can't use it

I do take some comfort in the physical presence of a wire -- just a psychological thing I'm sure.

Wireless sounds interesting, but if I did set up an account in the nearest location with broadband, I'm thinking I would need a minimum of 7 repeaters to get the signal to my home - a rather expensive proposition.

I just have to come to the reality that I live in Little Toe, USA and you need some degree of expendable income to have such amenities:cry: Reality bites!

But I do appreciate the ideas --- a fellow can still afford to dream

Quote Originally Posted by drpeterbright
    :cool: Even in the US, it depends entirely on where you are located. We have cable and satellite where I am. Many within 5 miles of me have other options. Why can't you put up a dish & get satellite (Or is it too expensive?). :cool:
    satellite I can get but I can't play games on it and wireless will be free :D

:cool: Someday we'll all have the connection of our dreams, but it doesn't even exist yet!. :cool:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information