Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jury Service

One of my family members just got a letter in the mail telling them they had been selected for Jury Service. She is fairly certain she can get out of it because she lives more than 60km's away from the court.

Anyway, who here has been on a jury before? I realise it's supposed to be confidential - but who's going to find out? :)
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Before going back to school to become an epidemiologist, I practiced law in Florida. Hardship (varies by jurisdiction what that actually is) can be used to have someone excused from jury duty. There should be a contact telephone number she can call to get excused. Best to think up a better reason that just distance if possible. (Ill health, no transportation, sole support of family, key person in a small business etc.)

drpeterbright,
    I'd be willing to bet that the rules governing jury duty are a bit different in Australia. With the layout of the land, it is entirely possible that the distance factor will be enough. ;)

As for serving on a jury, I never get picked. It is also unlikely that I will unless it is a civil trial. Most defense attorneys don't care to have peace officers sitting in their jury box. One of their tactics is to baffle the jury with enough confusing garbage to cloud over the real issue. Enough confusion and you can normally get at least some of the jurors to have a "reasonable doubt". When peace officers get into a jury pool, they know the letter of the law and can help the other jurors get past the extra information that was fed to them. But of course I still have to show up when I get a jury summons. The prosecution forces the defense to use one of their limited number of strikes to get rid of me.

And who said that law wasn't fun. :p
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

I found law very interesting in high school. If I wasn't into computers I probably would have followed on with it.
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

My largest problem with the law is that those with lots of money are treated differenly by the system than those who do not. Justice occurs but its by accident at times.

I got one of those st00pid jury letters, no way I can get out of it either. Gives me the ****s.

They already force me to pay tax, now they are going to force me to sit through someones court case :mad:

I've been on it a few times but I've never had to go. :D

I've been on a jury

scary stuff - I wouldn't want to be on the other end and yes our legal system is very different to America's

Jury duty isn't hard to get out of - just say "Really.......he and I used to do that all the time?".
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

just look like a slob - the defense is after middle class juror's since they are most likely to give the benefit of doubt - so dress up like a bogun

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information