Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GiMP's rant : Why do people feel they constantly need to upg

Beefy Guest

We are talking bragging rights like people playing at 1600x1200, getting 60+ fps on a 21" monitor.. that kind of thing.

And seriously, once you start playing a game at high res with a decent frame rate (ie: above 60fps), it makes it hard to go back to a lower res with less frames.

<quote>And you can always tune a car because theres is no limit to the power/performance , you always want a lil more and its always benificial. But thats different from a PC because a slower computer can do everything a faster one can without noticeable slowdown (you can actualy see a performance increase in a car). </quote>

That's EXACTLY the same as a PC. You CAN see the performance increase, usually through in game performance, benchmarking (doesn't really count, but it's a numerical performance increase), etc... It's the whole reason people overclock as well...

And new hardware is a learning experience. Going from a slot 1 MB to a socket A, ISA to AGP... while they are extremes, you do learn about the different things. Plus, there's all the peripherals like TV cards, ViVo cards, IDE controllers, RAID cards... RAID in itself is a big experimentation the first time you try it.. Is RAID necessary? Not in most cases.. Then why do people do it? because of the noticible performance / security increase...

Well I wouldnt be dropping in an extra $500 bucks into the friggin thing. It would maybe be around $100 more when it first comes out. I am not going to upgrade my comp every month. I only upgraded this comps ram like 6 months ago to 384. This comp is going on 3 years and i'm just now getting a new computer. So don't be saying I waste my money.

-PGA1234

BTW 200mhz is a 1/3 of the computing power as this one so...
    New Sig soon, old one was way outdated.

:thumb:

Beefy your not getting me , with a car you could see with your EYES the car moving faster with more power , you can see the car going 50KM/h faster. You can't see 40FPS to 60FPS its not possible , a movie you see in the theaters if I remember correctly is 22FPS , DVDs are 30ish. If I lower my res to get over 100FPS and then bring it back up to get 40FPS its still just as smooth.
    AMD Thunderbird AXIA 1000MHz @ 1400MHz
    MSI K7T266 Pro2
    Globalwin FOP-38 w/Delta
    1024MB PC2100 DDR (2-2-2)
    Leadtek Geforce 3 TD - 210/500
    Soundblaster Live!
    Plextor 16x10x40x
    20GB WD 7200RPM ATA66
    40GB WD 7200RPM ATA133
    60GB Maxtor 7200RPM ATA100
    Enlight Case / 17" Hansol Monitor

Beefy Guest

No, you're not getting me. :)

OK, quick lesson. NTSC video (american standard) runs at approximately 30 FPS. PAL (European / Australian standard) is 25 FPS... Therefore DVD rates are at whatever standard they are based on. But that's not important at the moment..

Now the rest of this is from memory, so it could be wrong.. BUT...

Computer screens refresh at all different rates...... ... I don't have time for this. I'll hunt down where I had this argument before and post it. :)

Long story short, there IS a noticable difference in watching 40 FPS vs 100 FPS. Plus it's not just frame rates that are noticible speed differences. It's like upgrading a CD burner to burn CD's 2 - 10 times as fast... Faster CPU / more RAM to spped up applications.. Faster drives for quicker transfers.. things like that. :)

EDIT: and it's also the fact that you don't need to drop your res to get 100 fps...

Beefy Guest

OK, you've made me go and research now. :)

<a href="http://amo.net/NT/05-24-01FPS.html" target="_blank">Article 1</a>

Quote: "The Human Eye perceiving 220 Frames Per second has been proven, game developers, video card manufacturers, and monitor manufacturers all admit they've only scratched the surface of Frames Per Second. With a high quality non-interlaced display (like plasma or a large LCD FPD) and a nice video card capable of HDTV resolution, you can today see well above 120 FPS with a matching refresh rate. With some refresh rates as high as 400Hz on some non-interlaced displays, that display is capable of 400 FPS alone. Without the refresh rate in the way, and the right hardware capable of such fast rendering (frame buffer), it is possible to display as cameras are possible of recording 44,000 Frames Per Second. Imagine just for a moment if your display device were to be strictly governed by the input it was receiving. This is the case with computer video cards and displays in a way with adjustable resolutions, color depth, and refresh rates."

<a href="http://www.daniele.ch/school/30vs60/30vs60_1.html" target="_blank">Article 2</a> - Just read the whole thing. very informative.

<a href="http://www.penstarsys.com/editor/30v60/30v60p2.htm" target="_blank">Article 3</a> - probably the most appropriate. READ.

<a href="http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm" target="_blank">Article 4</a> - directly relates to stuff. good..

:D

Beefy Guest

Sorry about the triple post, but I've gotta say this.

I just changed the refresh rate on my screen here at work, from 60Hz to 75Hz.. and boy does it make a difference... It just felt like my eyes relaxed more as soon as I did it. Hard to explain.

Another test to do is to grab the slide bar on the side of this page and scroll up and down quickly.. If your FPS / refresh rate was high enough, it would be very smooth, but it's as jumpy as hell. :)

Thats contradictory , is a DVD movie laggy to you ?

But yes I do agree there is a huge noticeable difference between 60Hz and 75Hz , I can't look at 60Hz it hurts my head. But then 40FPS in game or 10FPS for that matter doesn't ... we're missing something
    AMD Thunderbird AXIA 1000MHz @ 1400MHz
    MSI K7T266 Pro2
    Globalwin FOP-38 w/Delta
    1024MB PC2100 DDR (2-2-2)
    Leadtek Geforce 3 TD - 210/500
    Soundblaster Live!
    Plextor 16x10x40x
    20GB WD 7200RPM ATA66
    40GB WD 7200RPM ATA133
    60GB Maxtor 7200RPM ATA100
    Enlight Case / 17" Hansol Monitor

Beefy Guest

But a DVD movie using motion blurring in frames... games do not. :)

I'm in a constant upgrade cycle, the last 2 years I've been selling my PC off every 3 months and using the money from tqat to buy a need one - so it hasn't cost me cent to upgrade, just a fair bit of time

For some of us, it's a hobby. It's recreational. It's just plain fun. I got into the constant upgrade cycle when it was even more challanging. I still have IC and cpu pullers (from before the days of ZIF sockets). I remember things like: plugging individual ram chips into the mobo to upgrade my video ram, installing a new occilator can in the mobo to run a faster processor (had to strap it down with a wire tie to keep it from vibrating out), hand editing the config.sys and autoexec.bat to install a 1X cd-rom and later an 8bit Thunderboard, setting i/o jumpers on every add-in card, pencil and paper to list what irq each card could support to figure out where to set the jumpers so each card could have access to the required resources. In days gone by, it seemed every new thing that came out meant not having to watch the spinning hourglass for quite so long. Though the new stuff today does't offer such dramatic improvements, I still find it fun working with new hardware. Most of my old stuff usually end up in my kids or grandkids computers anyway. I guess I could take up golf for a hobby. I wonder if those new titanium drivers will make me a better golfer? And that new bag Joe has sure looks cool.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information