Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Forumtopia... join the cause!

Can I ask why the highlight is on the number of posts made? Why change it with something else? Does it really matter? Not to ppl who have enjoyed posting in here..............
    Speaking as one who very rarely if ever departs from the BG I can't say what has gone on in other forums, I have enjoyed meeting most of the ppl in here, a few of the ppl posting in the tech sections may look down their noses at the rubbish posted in the BG, but have you considered that quite a few have stayed on and actually participated in here............OK this is a tech site I suppose, but why must everything be so serious? Can't even ppl who build comps have a bit of fun? Don't these young ppl have lives away from the wonderful world of comps...................can't we try and help in other fields or make new friends overseas? Friends we otherwise would never know, Ok we may never meet in person, and perhaps never even speak outside of the forums. I have no expertise in computers, but does this mean I can't contribute in other ways?
    I may not be here a lot in the coming weeks but does this mean I can't ever come back............because I don't have anything important enough to say in the tech sections, and the beer garden is not counted as relevant, how come? Is life only worth living through the technical side and not through the emotional side as well........... It seems to me that the BG does play a part, the expression of grief at terrorist attacks, joy at passing exams,etc are all expressed in here and this forum should not be discounted because "it isn't technical"
    And I am sorry but in my opinion stars are just as stupid as post counts, what are we judges and examiners? Who are we to decide whos post is more helpful than anothers :kay:

Personally Kay, I think pointless/off topic posts in the BG and related forums is fine - what I don't like is when similar posting styles start to infiltrate the technical forums - my question was - is this the new personality of the Tweaktown forums - or should the mods and admins be clamping down on it? Just because I don't like having to sift through the off-topic stuff sometimes, doesn't mean there aren't others who appreciate it....after all based on active posters - I don't think these forums have ever been more popular
    From his earlier post - Mr. Tweak seems to be set on course of action - we'll have to wait and see what it is

Quote Originally Posted by RDR
    Personally Kay, I think pointless/off topic posts in the BG and related forums is fine - what I don't like is when similar posting styles start to infiltrate the technical forums - my question was - is this the new personality of the Tweaktown forums - or should the mods and admins be clamping down on it? Just because I don't like having to sift through the off-topic stuff sometimes, doesn't mean there aren't others who appreciate it....after all based on active posters - I don't think these forums have ever been more popular
    From his earlier post - Mr. Tweak seems to be set on course of action - we'll have to wait and see what it is
    The crossover seems to happen when new influx of posters join, I think that this will eventually settle down, with a bit of encouragement from the admins...........a gentle reminder that all nonsense or non technical posts belong in the Beer Garden would be the best way to go..............after all we all make that mistake when we first start posting, just let me say it was great to see women/girls starting to post in here too, its unfortunate that this thread "Looks" and I mean looks like it is pointing at us, and remember guys, we take things to heart more than you do, and remember ridicule because a person is wrong in their answer is the fastest way of losing a new potential friend..........and instead of flaming a gentle nudge in the right direction would be more constructive
    :kay:

If you think it's aimed at you and yet say you never or very rarely stray outside the beer garden, then how can it be so?

Drop the star idea, drop the post counts. People will be known by how often people see them in threads posting, if they post a lot and are helpful it will be obvious to any reader, and that way a BG poster will be recognised by other BG posters and a tech poster on any topic will be recognised by others - if you understand where i'm going that would mean that everyone would know that wiggo had a large amount of input into forums and threads throughout the forums just by READING those threads, not by looking at a post or star count that could easily be changed (lookee we have 0 posts but that doesn't mean there are NO posts by us anywhere)

I agree with beefy or (never thought i'd say this one) thoric on this, we need to do away with post counts and either have a tech help star rating, or just poster titles.

A star system would be easy to set up, i'm not sure how easy it is to turn off post count displaying, but the stars could be done quite easily :)

I'm all for more moderators, provided they do their job and don't leave like the rest of us did due to having to filter out all the crap continually ;-(

This thread is not aimed at any one person or gender, it is here for the purpose of solving a problem, one we could all do without.
    SileNceR, Messenger of the Dark and the Night. To post quality, or not to post at all, THAT is the Question - Never again ask what can my post count do for me besides increasing my ego, but instead ask what can I do to help someone else!
    Overclockers Melbourne (http://www.ocmelbourne.com).

Ok, i couldn't resist...i agree with Kay and think that the star system would end up in the same position post counts are. If spamming at tech threads is a problem..then resolve it (i.e. mods removing irrelavent posts) if one mod didn't catch it; the other one will...and if any of the mods don't catch the off topic post then big deal...one or two post got away.

I think a sticky should be made on the top of all Topics once you enter TT Forums. It should be intended for the newcomers of the forums; explaing how important its is to keep the tech thread on topic...and any off topic threads and/or posts should be done at the Beer Garden. A warning should be given to them on how a off topic post would be deleted if found under a tech threads.

IMO i believe the BG is relevant...as i mention before and like Kay indicated...topics and posts in the BG have meaning even though though they have only two words to them. Getting rid of the post count and adding another "rating system" is pointless yoou will have that compitition some of you claim members here have.

The rating system some of you suggested to me is again pointless. You think members will actually rate a person...some members here are come and go...meaning they retrieve what they ned of info and boom never see them again. Wiggo will have one star...and i will also have one star even though WiGGo (and he obviously is) more useful and knowledgeable.

The Regulars make the BG relevant and make it the BG...even though i don't care of post count ...i don't see why it has to be take off...just to end up at another similar system but instead of numbers we use pink and yellow stars.

You may have a BG post count and a tech post count under your name. You can go as far as add a total at the bottom of both. I think this system would be better if possible. Members like Kay can be seen as a frequent Reg at the BG while Darth although having 5 post in the BG has 1000 at the tech forums; suggesting he is a bit more knowledgable under that aspect of threads.

Those are my two cents ....and thats all you guys are getting:D

: peace2:
    - Damien

Well said Flaco, :thumb: there should be a sticky explaing how important its is to keep the tech thread on topic. And it should also state not to creat new threads when it has nothing to do with that subject!!

B/G General discussion is just that... you go there to generally discus!! Talk about weird things that have happened to you, the weather things that are going around in the world. What is such a problem about it!!

Beer garden Games.... pretty much says it all, although alot of the threads are pretty much a general discussion topic, but we left it in the bg games not to flood the General discussion part!!

Beefy Guest

This has now gone WAY off track. There is no mention by anyone to stop the Beer Garden. It is what it is and it makes this forum what it is. People can do what they like in there, that's what it was intended for. So you can stop defending it, because we feel the same way. I don't know why people think that some of us want to stop it, because we don't. Most of us support keeping it.

After going over this thread again, it looks like it all boils down to two things: We need some way of cutting down on the pointless posts out in the tech forums and possibly a new rating system.

I'm still all for removal of visible post counts, and lettings mods / admins give people specific titles, depending on what they know.

Beefman wins the "best idea" award with me. I think there should be no visible sign as to the volume of posts any one person has posted. an Admin-controlled naming system is by far the most intelligent idea yet.

Respawn, ideally when ppl come to ask for help in a tech thread, the way u described it is how it should look, would u rather it was like:

How do I fix this?

Hey your avatar is cool, where can i get one?

no its not its gay you annoy me

You do this to fix prob

no you dont that way doesnt work

where can i get a crack for this game?

hey /name of person who asked question/, its so-and-so from same-town whats goin on?

So how do i fix this?

You do this...
    The way i see it is that, although it may be boring its this sorta of addendums that belong in the BG or PM's

above all i dont think anyone has ever once initialised the idea of gettin rid of the BG, one things for sure is that its here to stay - just somefin i dont go into (cept for this thread)
    sKuLLsHoT
    www.morb.ath.cx

I'm still all for removal of visible post counts, and lettings mods / admins give people specific titles, depending on what they know
    This is a good idea!! I like mine..... it pretty much suits me!!

Beefy Guest

at least you've got one.. :(

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread Information