Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Forumtopia... join the cause!

So wassup Beefy?
    You staying? Going? Undecided? Mind my own business? What?

I'd rather see you stick around, but you gott'a do what you gott'a do.

anyway that title was sort'a lamish - true, but lamish considering some of your contributions:p
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Quote Originally Posted by sKuLLsHoT
    Beefman wins the "best idea" award with me. I think there should be no visible sign as to the volume of posts any one person has posted. an Admin-controlled naming system is by far the most intelligent idea yet.

Respawn, ideally when ppl come to ask for help in a tech thread, the way u described it is how it should look, would u rather it was like:

The way i see it is that, although it may be boring its this sorta of addendums that belong in the BG or PM's

above all i dont think anyone has ever once initialised the idea of gettin rid of the BG, one things for sure is that its here to stay - just somefin i dont go into (cept for this thread)
    So getting rid of post count will eliminate that?....i don't think it would...:?:
    - Damien

Beefy Guest

No Flaco, but in conjunction with some hefty administration / moderation work, it can make a hell of a difference...

Mr C, I'm sorta hanging to see what's going to come of all of this. From the sounds of things I'm not the forum's most popular person at the moment, and I'm doubting if I'll ever be an admin again, so we'll just wait and see. Strange thing is, since I left I've had more people talk to me via IM than ever before. :)

I was hoping you'd tell me to mind my own business --- I love a challenge

I didn't realize the forum was a popularity contest:?:
    Look around, a lot of folks here aren't administrators/moderators, in fact I believe the vast majority are here participating without any more responsibility than their good sense + appreciation for the site necessitates.

At one time you were happy to contribute without the position of authority to back you up.
    Got accustomed to the power perhaps;)
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Okay I haven't been here long myself and my post count isn't that high, I had I higher post count on my previous name.
    But in the spirit of things I am here for the ppl and for the info.
    So I would like no post count and to be at 0...
    "I'm back!" ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by sKuLLsHoT
    Beefman wins the "best idea" award with me. I think there should be no visible sign as to the volume of posts any one person has posted. an Admin-controlled naming system is by far the most intelligent idea yet.
    Did i miss something???
    I thought i mentioned that exact same damn thing three pages ago?!?!?
    And yes it is an intelligent idea, thank you, sKuLLsHoT

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy
    Strange thing is, since I left I've had more people talk to me via IM than ever before.
    lol, thats me!

Beefy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JediAgent
    Did i miss something???
    I thought i mentioned that exact same damn thing three pages ago?!?!?
    And yes it is an intelligent idea, thank you, sKuLLsHoT
    Your idea was very very similar, i just simplified and added a little extra.

Quote Originally Posted by JediAgent
    All but the last have tangible methods of installment. IMO (this is ALL IMO!)

1. Hidden post counts. You wanna compete. Fine. Compete with someone you can tell your # over AIM.

2. Visible Stars/Medals and Title...
    I dont see any similiar about it..... well... maybe cause in my idea only you can see them... hmmmm.... still my idea, buddy. ;)

Well... I've been away for four days on a hike, so I've just spent a few minutes catching up on what's been going on in this thread.

Anyways, here's my 2c (bringing my total to what, a dollar fifty?). Point One:

READ OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS, PLEASE

This is actually a gripe I've had for some time, usually I just grin and bear it, but seeing as this is rather an important topic, I thought that people would actually take the time to read the initial post (and the posts following it) carefully.

I DO NOT DISLIKE THE BEER GARDEN. I DO NOT WANT TO SHUT IT DOWN.
    *Osiris shuts down rumour #1*

Have I (or, indeed, anyone who's agreed with me) ever said, "The Beer Garden's crap, let's shut it down." NO!. I like the Beer Garden, and although I don't post in it heaps (or anywhere else on TT for that matter), it's a great gathering place for people to just talk. I don't think I can be as eloquent as Mr.C, but I can say that I agree with his sentiment - the Beer Garden is a good thing. It brings people together, gives them a place to voice their opinions. That is a wonderful thing, and I never want to see that go.

THERE IS NOT A MASS EXODUS HAPPENING
    *Osiris shuts down rumour #2*

Where are people getting the idea that people are jumping ship? Ain't happening with me, as far as I know there's only one or two people that have said they are actually leaving, and last time I checked, it takes more than that to equate to an exodus. People are going to come and go from forums all the time everywhere, it's not something new, or something that you can control or stop.

*Osiris ends rather brief rumour shutdown*

Now, for me to post (or gripe) about other things...

You know, no one ever really answered my question before: What is the point of post counts? It's not providing help for other identifying the helpful (or indeed, even regular) posters. All it's doing is giving people the motivation to post 3-word replies to boring topics that they don't give a crap about.

Not a single person who has replied to this thread had stood up for post counts. They haven't said, "Wait, no, post counts are great, they let me see who I should trust!" You know why? Because they don't. After what Mr.Tweak has said, I don't think that any rating system will work, and you know what? Let's not have one! *Gasp*! Let's just have a user name, an avatar, a location. Titles? Give everyone apart from Moderators and Administrators the title of "TweakTown Member".

If what a person really likes about TweakTown is getting helpful advice from people who know what they're talking about, then having no post count won't affect that - and it'll make it easier, as they probably won't have a thread like sKuLLsHoT's example - irrelevant and crap.

If what a person really likes about TweakTown is just having a chat in the Beer Garden with online friends about the weather in Florida, or playing word Games, or posting Babes, then having no post count won't affect that.

In fact, the only people who might get pissed off about having no post count are those who simply post everywhere they can with no thought, simply to see a meaningless number in the left column increase.

Again, I guess I'd better re-iterate how I would like the TweakTown forums.

• No post counts, rating system, or unique titles (apart from Moderators and Admins)
    • The technical forums, as they are, with moderators who are regular visitors and contributers.
    • The Beer Garden, as is. It's a great place, why dump it?
    • Tight moderation around the forums. Spam removed immediately with a one-time-only warning to the offender. This should apply to the Beer Garden as well - I know it's an off- topic forum, but conversations should still follow the gist of the topic. If you want to have a conversation with someone and jump around on all topics, download a little program called Trillian and have an instant message conversation.
    • Maybe the most important: a friendly, informative atmosphere, the feeling that we're all striving for the same thing: knowledge and friendship.

~Osiris

Agreed with almost everything there but one Osiris,

Granted having a "member, moderator, admin" as possible "status", we need to have a way of identifying outstanding people in their areas, thos who are extremely knowledgable in their given area but not a moderator.

Actually no... these people may as well be the moderators of that section :)

so yeah, agreed on everything.
    SileNceR, Messenger of the Dark and the Night. To post quality, or not to post at all, THAT is the Question - Never again ask what can my post count do for me besides increasing my ego, but instead ask what can I do to help someone else!
    Overclockers Melbourne (http://www.ocmelbourne.com).

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread Information