Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Forumtopia... join the cause!

Thanks Mr.C in two ways, your caring and your thoughts. :thumb:

Well to let ya's know (those interested anyway) he's a very lucky little boy some how seems to have gotten away with some gravel rash and a few burns from being under the car. He's still sleeping well and is comfortable and the missus is staying with him tonight so someone is there when he wakes up. Then we'll find out more about how he is. :)

Now Mr.C as to your thoughts, if I could get mine into order what you just said is what I havn't been able to get out, maybe not so eloquently as you but it's definately what I'm thinkin' plus I don't think that ya left a single detail out. :cheers:

I do appreciate your taking time out from your hectic day to provide us with an update on your boy's condition. I'm most relieved that considering the circumstances your news for us was to be considered good news!
    An awful thing for sure, but hopefully the young fella' will come through this with minimal ill effect.
    Thank God for the good news so far, and I hope it continues to go as well.

Nice to have expressed words that another deems to have merit.
    I posted those words in the exact same manner which I make all my posts. An honest reflection of how I truly feel.
    I wouldn't be surprised to learn that others in part agree with those words. I wouldn't be disappointed one iota to find out that other folks think I'm a blithering-clueless idiot that should shut up and mind his own business.

That's cool, that is the free exchange of information at it's best.

I do have a request to make of any administrator who might wander by and read this.
    Please remove/set to 0 my post count. It is quite apparent that the post count does carry some meaning to nearly all members of this forum. In that light it is ludicrous and a travesty of justice that my post count be higher than Wiggo's and others here that have contributed to this forum at a level which far surpasses my modest contribution.
    I do endeavor to contribute but it is unfair and wholly unwise to give someone the impression that I am on a higher plateau of membership here than so many others who have truly exceeded my participation here.
    So for the good health of the community will you please fix that?
    Thanks!

Maybe I am full of it, but I have seen the caring members of this forum actually help a child with their homework at school.
    For goodness sake does that kind of effort not have a place within this forum? I think there is room here for a lot of good things - there certainly was for a lot of the citizens of TweakTown.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Request accepted Mr.C and I think we both of similar natures mate. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggo
    Request accepted Mr.C and I think we both of similar natures mate. :)
    Thank you for your attention on this matter. It is certainly best for the community that you have done so.

The peoples' spokesman, huh?
    LOL
    The good folks of the forum have never had a great deal of difficulty speaking for themselves before now.
    But if I can help or encourage them to speak then I have done good today I feel.
    I can speak on their behalf, but that is no substitute for them speaking their own mind. I hope that those who have chosen to leave will remain and speak thier piece instead. It's always been about the computers, the members, the voices of various experiences and tastes.
    I certainly hope that does not change. I do support this community when possible whether that be through the purchase of a T-shirt or the expression of an opinion, or helping with homework.
    I fear we might lose the entire forest for a couple of unwanted trees.
    The effects of that would be awful indeed.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Wiggo

Best wishes for your son's speedy recovery. I hope better times are ahead for you and yours.

Mr. C

I have been thinking about the issues at TT for a couple of days, trying to get a better handle on what the whole hallabaloo was about. After reading your posts, I've concluded that I have been thinking in the wrong direction. Instead of consentrating on what may be wrong with the forums, it is more important to highlight wat is right with them. I find your comments not only quite eloquent, but quite enlightning as well. I've only been at TT forums for a short time, so I don't know "how it used to be". I do know that this is the only forum that I accually cared to look at who the poster was. In this or any other forum it is usually quickly appearent whether a post is B.S. or of real value, and for years, that was pretty much all I cared about when reading them. TT is different for me now, as many of the posters have a personality and even a face. Much of this evolved from their posts in the Beer Garden. You guys (and gals) are real people to me now. I very much enjoy being here, learning, sharing, laughing. I've seen some of what I would probably deem childish behavior, silly flirting, etc., but so what! So long as the tech threads are mostly good tech, a little bantering after the answers is perfectly alright with me. As for the Beer Garden, I don't really care if people have 50 one word posts a day. I'm free to read or ignore them. From the way the post counts changed, I figure that about 10% of my posts went to the Beer Garden. I hope that people got a chuckle out of the cartoons I posted. I hope that my political comments either made other people think, or that they responded with comments that made me think. I also have no problem with the fact that many regulars in the Beer Garden had little or no technical expertise to share. It is not as though you had to pay your dues with tech to be a part of this community. Look how much more diversity this brought to the threads.

In conclusion, (I only wish that colorful prose could flow as easily from my keyboard as that of Mr.C) I like TT forums, I've come to like many of the residents of this community, and if it continues to be as unique as it has been for me, I will keep coming back until I wear out my welcome.

Yes sir, there are things here that are less than perfect. That's because no one is perfect here. I reckon I fit in with that pretty well.

You are correct bigjackusa there is a lot of good going on in here. I couldn't agree more with your statement about the uniqueness of the TweakTown forum.

I've enjoyed this forum quite a bit. Truth of the matter is I have learned a lot. I can't afford the latest hardware, but I still like to hear about it. I can't see the brush fires in OZ, but I still like to hear about it. I like a good joke and a funny picture from time to time. I don't have to navigate 4 sites to get that -- it's all right here. A diverse range of cultures, countries, age groups and incomes to learn from and share with.
    To my way of thinking that is 1 heck of a fine package deal!

Matter of fact, bigjackusa and myself had a big difference of opinion in a thread quite recently. He freely expressed his opinion, I freely expressed mine.
    No arguement, no fuss, no muss and no one had to leave the forum. All is well, we simply choose to disagree on a point of history.

And now lookithere!
    Just days from that point in time we are here in the same thread, covering each others back and taking the people's side out front for all to view. The people's side - the TweakTown side. No difference, it's the same side!

Ain't this forum the greatest!

I just stumbled over this thread....which is largely what I have to do these days cause there is so many other new ones each time.....

Health probs have been partly the reason I've been a bit scarce on the forums but there are other reasons too...a lot of them already mentioned......

Probably the most time consuming is filtering the "not so serious" stuff from those which I feel I can possibly contribute to whether by past experiences or just a different approach.

There ARE too many off topic posts creeping in BUT THAT IS ONLY SYMPTOMATIC OF A NEED for people to express themselves.

I personally don't think post counters matter diddly squat to the number of posts.... whether they are there or not .... it is only a very few who view their post number as some sort of real measure (size isn't important....wait a minute thats another issue) BUT I think we could try and get people to limit their comments to the topic at hand and leave the Beer Garden as a place for off-topic issues .... just a little change will make a big difference...

I keep coming back to TTForums for one very good reason...and I think that reason continues to infiltrate the whole site....that reason is the willingness of everyone here (almost) to help someone out where they can...and not only with technical info.....

These forums have a unique blend of experience and comraderie that will get most users over their problems and issues.....that you won't find too many other places...believe me I've looked......

It might be that I'm getting older and a bit more tolerant, but I can tell any of you who think that leaving is gonna make it better for you, that you will be mistaken....by all means give it a try....BUT DON"T FEEL TOO PROUD TO COME BACK....you will be welcomed as you have been to date....cause that's the way TTForums are....

[Oldbugger found another soapbox]
    The older I get...the better I was

Ok, well i've been thinking and i'm pretty sure i have a good and effective way of getting rid of useless spam in this forum, its fairly simple, however, for this to work, we need the co-operation of everyone in the forums and also requires people to speak up when they see spam.

All you have to do is when you see a spam post or thread, click on the "Report this post to a moderator" link (which is located at the bottom of each post), and type in a quick reason why you are reporting it, which, in a spam-busting situation can just be somehthing like this:

"such and such' person is posting unrelevant stuff, could it please be removed"

or something along those lines.

Thanks go to Grim Reaper for his input in this post ;) :p

Here's my logic concerning this problem:

The larger the community, the greater the chances of the threads screwing up will be. Also, it becomes more difficult to moderate and ban the spammers in the community. Increasing the number of moderators will not stop the spammers, for sure. So that's how I can further back up my opinion on supporting this ForumTopia.

Webgraph

Tell me if I got the gist of your post:
    more people = bad forums

If this is how you feel, you need a small, private club for a forum. Membership aproved by committee. Shunning or ostracising errant members. Maybe outsiders could observe, but not actually interact with the elite. Secret handshakes are cool too and have always kept the unwashed masses in their proper class.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information